Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Titanic captain's haunted mirror up for auction

UM-Bot

• The title was changed to Titanic captain's haunted mirror up for auction

A mirror worth a lot because it once belonged to a fellow who is dead and got rather famous in his dying.

OK, then.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

On reflection, I could see myself buying something like that.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Adding the, "It's haunted" factor, to an otherwise ordinary mirror in order to get more money out of its sale. 

Edited by Cruel_Cahal
  • Like 2

So, a second or third-hand story with no corroboration makes it

6 hours ago, seanjo said:

And wrongly blamed...

Thanks for posting this.  It's wonderful to get the truth.

• Thanks 1

How much!?! That is ridiculous, it is only a mirror and whats with the haunted bit? Why would he possibly be showing up in that mirror, 

The historic keepsake was left on the captain's dressing table at his home in Stoke-on-Trent, England when the ill-fated vessel embarked on its maiden voyage across the Atlantic back in 1912.

He was born in Stoke-on-Trent, and actually left home at 17 and headed to Liverpool where he became an apprentice, he sailed many a ship and spent much of his time at sea,  when he married he lived in Hampshire. 

His mother lived in Cheshire where Smith intended to be buried one day, but his body was never found. 

There were no memorials for him in stoke on trent although now they have a plague, but this mirror was not in his home as the article says, because - it was not his home when he was on the Titanic. 

Edited by freetoroam
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, Imaginarynumber1 said:

Image result for eye roll gif

You are not putting in a bid for this mirror.then,  which was not actually in his home because he was not living in Stoke on trent then and i guess they saying its haunted has not tempted you? 

Wise man. :tu:

• Like 1

What a lovely mirror. The frame looks like good silver and the mirror is good condition. Considering it’s providance of the ownership I wonder how much it would fetch without the haunting. I know nothing about the market for such over there. And I am a bit curious why Ethelwynne chose that object. I imagine it could have fetched a nice price back then too.

The haunting part is fun too. I wonder if this topic will turn up again in April.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, rashore said:

What a lovely mirror. The frame looks like good silver and the mirror is good condition. Considering it’s providance of the ownership I wonder how much it would fetch without the haunting. I know nothing about the market for such over there. And I am a bit curious why Ethelwynne chose that object. I imagine it could have fetched a nice price back then too.

The haunting part is fun too. I wonder if this topic will turn up again in April.

The story still does not make sense, 

The 110-year-old mirror is believed to be possessed once a year by Edward John Smith, who left it on the dressing table of his home in Stoke-on-Trent before he set sail on the ill-fated ship's infamous maiden voyage

https://www.myjoyonline.com/news/2018/november-20th/haunted-mirror-possessed-by-the-ghost-of-the-titanic-captain-up-for-auction.php

He did not live in Stoke on trent at that time. My point is , was it actually his or more than likely his mothers

Smith was married to Eleanor and they had a young daughter Helen Melville. The family lived in an imposing red brick, twin-gabled house "Woodhead" on Winn Road, Portswood, Southampton.

On April 10 1912 Edward John Smith, wearing a bowler hat and a long overcoat, took a taxi from his home to Southampton docks. 

https://www.encyclopedia-titanica.org/titanic-victim/edward-john-smith.html

• Like 2

I betcha the Fruit of the Looms that Elvis wore on the Ed Sullivan show would bring in twice that much among the right circle of fans.  And if they were haunted too, the sky's the limit!

• 4 weeks later...

I live about a mile from where EJ Smith lived and about 5 mins walk from where J Bruce  Ismay lived. He used to have a spyglass out of his window and then got to Liverpool city centre and bollock the captains if they were late, nice guy.