Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

God and science

markdohle

Posting a video with no comment is a really poor way to start a debate.  So, OP fail in round one.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, sci-nerd said:

Science is not about God. So it does not argue for or against. It simply tries to understand nature and its origin.

You could say science started by people trying to answer questions about the laws they thought governed our world. Which nearly everyone assumed back then were created by God. 

Science also started by people trying to better understand God's creation, which was assumed also back then.

So in the history of science God certainly inspired and motivated scientist's.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

15 minutes ago, markdohle said:

What do you want to discuss? 

Is there a point to this? 

Or should the moderators be hovering over the thread closed button?

Just now, danydandan said:

You could say science started by people trying to answer questions about the laws they thought governed our world. Which nearly everyone assumed back then were created by God. 

Science also started by people trying to better understand God's creation, which was assumed also back then.

True dat! But that's history now. I assumed the OP wanted to know about modern science.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, danydandan said:

56b0ef5c1f00007f00217292.jpeg

• Like 4

I think I hate Memes.

• Haha 4

35 minutes ago, Stiff said:

56b0ef5c1f00007f00217292.jpeg

The more convincing argument being that God didn’t create the universe because something like gravity exists and the universe could have made itself.  Right?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Just now, Guyver said:

The more convincing argument being that God didn’t create the universe because something like gravity exists and the universe could have made itself.  Right?

If god exist what created god? Where did god come from? Do we really need to do this? Because I'm really tired of doing this. This hasn't become a hard question. It's become a stupid one. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, Guyver said:

the universe could have made itself.  Right?

Yup! It's called quantum fluctuation. The only thing that makes more sense is a virtual Big Bang.

• Like 2

DannyDanDan sayd:   What do you want to discuss? 

Is there a point to this? 

Or should the moderators be hovering over the thread closed button? 

I believe that belief in God is logical.  It gets tiring when believers are told that their belief is based on a lack of proof or faith in 'some sort of magic man n the sky.   There are good reasons to believe in God, I believe this video shows that.  However when it comes to religion, the God of the religions, that is another matter.  My faith comes from my choice to look upon the Bible as a revelation of the nature of God, which is fulfilled in the New Testament.  Anthony Flew, for instances, remained a diest till the day he died, and did not believe in an afterlife, did not want one, as a matter of fact.   It was his study of DNA that brought him to the understanding that there had to be intelligence behind the Universe.

Peace
Mark

• Like 3

Guyver said:  The more convincing argument being that God didn’t create the universe because something like gravity exists and the universe could have made itself.  Right? 

Scientism is a philosophical position, an assumption that materialism is true, there is no proof of that at all.  It is an act of faith on their part.  However, my Christian brothers and sisters who are 'hard' fundamentalist, I feel don't help.

Peace
mark

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Scenerd said:  Yup! It's called quantum fluctuation. The only thing that makes more sense is a virtual Big Bang. 

Nothing is nothing, Quantum Fluctuations is something.  

Peace
Mark

4 minutes ago, markdohle said:

there had to be intelligence behind the Universe

If there is, it is not God. I would bet my life on it!

If there is intelligent design in all this, it is because we are living inside a computer, made by advanced people.

• Like 2

scinerd said:  If there is, it is not God. I would bet my life on it!

If there is intelligent design in all this, it is because we are living inside a computer, made by advanced people. 

Yeah, that makes more sense.  Now I understand,  thank you

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Guyver said:

It's a little more complex than "something like gravity exists and the universe could have made itself" but hey, if you want to believe that some mythical being did it then that's your prerogative. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, markdohle said:

Nothing is nothing, Quantum Fluctuations is something. 

Quantum fluctuation is more mathematical than something tangible. It has never been detected directly. It's a little like dark matter.

Edited by sci-nerd

To a certain degree I agree that this life is some sort of simulation. Like all simulations, they're designed to do something. In the case of a flight simulator for example, it is used to do two things. First, it's a vehicle for training and second it's a test bed for flight qualification.

This might be all that's going on here. Life is simulated on earth as it is in reality in heaven. It's a training ground here. A place to learn how to react to what this life simulator throws at you. Do you zig, or do you zag.

After the duration of living in this life simulator for a while, depending on how you react to the things that are thrown at you, you might qualify and get your wings in order to take flight where life is not a simulation. And that place would be heaven.

Edited by Will Due
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

28 minutes ago, markdohle said:

Anthony Flew, for instances, remained a diest till the day he died, and did not believe in an afterlife, did not want one, as a matter of fact.   It was his study of DNA that brought him to the understanding that there had to be intelligence behind the Universe.

A long story has gained a great deal in your shortening of it. And what Flew was confident of at the end is that there was an intlelligence of some sort "behind" the Universe. Had to be, except as a figure of speech, isn't the sort of thing that can be founded on evidence, and the difference does matter.

Back to the video in the OP. One of the more routine occurrences in statistics is the determination that some relationship cannot plausibly have arisen "by chance." That is the famous rejection of the null hypothesis, the central concern of that first statistics course many folks take.

So what else is said in that course? First, and less interesting, if perchance the null hypothesis isn't rejected, it is not accepted, either. Our revenge on happenstance is that we play a game where chance never wins. That somewhat diminishes the impact of its not winning now. And the second thing that the students are warned about is that when the null hypothesis is defeated, your favorite "explanation" doesn't win instead. The proper conclusion is that there are grounds to investigate something that likely happened and that warrants an explanation.

Which, by an amazing coincidence, is what science does. I see nothing in the video that says that science ought to be looking outside of science for answers to these fundamental questions.

Finally, at the risk of being accused of the genetic fallacy (otherwise known as the heuristic that listeners should know who's telling them things) ... "Prager University" is an enterprise of Dennis Prager, an American radical right-wing radio personality.  Nothing wrong with that, but we wouldn't want anybody to think that there was an academic institution behind the video.

Edited by eight bits
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, markdohle said:

It gets tiring when believers are told that their belief is based on a lack of proof or faith in 'some sort of magic man n the sky.

It gets tiring when the rest of us are constantly told to believe things that are 100% unsubstantiated by people who don't understand evidence and empiricism.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 5
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Will Due said:

To a certain degree I agree that this life is some sort of simulation. Like all simulations, they're designed to do something. In the case of a flight simulator for example, it is used to do two things. First, it's a vehicle for training and second it's a test bed for flight qualification.

This might be all that's going on here. Life is simulated on earth as it is in reality in heaven. It's a training ground here. A place to learn how to react to what this life simulator throws at you. Do you zig, or do you zag.

After the duration of living in this life simulator for a while, depending on how you react to the things that are thrown at you, you might qualify and get your wings in order to take flight where life is not a simulation. And that place would be heaven.

It must be better than this sh!t, so I agree! Problem is that we are most probably not players. We are a part of the code.

Edited by sci-nerd
  • Like 1

Here I was thinking that faith meant believing without proof. So why seek proof and validation of a spiritual belief, unless you don't really believe in it. If you had faith (as is required) then this would all be a mute point. There would be no desire to argue faith. There would be no need to validate one's faith. Evidence that supports one's faith would be useless and not sought after. All those who claim faith lack it. All those who have faith are not in this thread debating it. By my own experience in magick I can safely say that I have seen zero objective and subjective evidence that some universal creator give a single damn about me. And I give not one for it.

• Like 6