Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

God and science

markdohle

42 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

Here I was thinking that faith meant believing without proof. 

People who refuse faith demand proof before having faith while people with faith have proof because of their faith.

Edited by Will Due
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Faith doesn't mean believing without proof. It means believing without seeing the proof. Which does not mean the proof of faith isn't real. And that's because the personal experiences of faith proves it.

Edited by Will Due
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

17 minutes ago, Will Due said:

People who refuse faith demand proof before having faith while people with faith have proof because of their faith.

The problem arises when people of faith are asked to die for it.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Will Due said:

Faith doesn't mean believing without proof. It means believing without seeing the proof. Which does not mean the proof of faith is not real. The personal experiences of faith proves that.

And if your belief is fake, you have spent your only life satisfying it. What a waste!

• Like 1

Just now, sci-nerd said:

And if your belief is fake, you have spent your only life satisfying it. What a waste!

But if faith is real, you might waste a life refusing it.

What I would like to ask believers of God, is why is he hiding? Why would he make this and then hide? Be silent. Be invisible.

Why would he make so many souls dependent on faith? It makes no sense!

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, sci-nerd said:

The problem arises when people of faith are asked to die for it.

I guess you're not aware of history.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Will Due said:

But if faith is real, you might waste a life refusing it.

A life well spent. I had a lot of fun without him.

1 minute ago, sci-nerd said:

What I would like to ask believers of God, is why is he hiding? Why would he make this and then hide? Be silent. Be invisible.

Why would he make so many souls dependent on faith? It makes no sense!

Have you considered that it might be you who's hiding?

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Will Due said:

Have you considered that it might be you who's hiding?

He knows where I am. But he's too chicken to knock on my door. Or... maybe he does not exist! Maybe he's just an old delusion!

9 minutes ago, sci-nerd said:

He knows where I am. But he's too chicken to knock on my door. Or... maybe he does not exist! Maybe he's just an old delusion!

But what if your door is being knocked on and you're just dismissing it? 

2 hours ago, markdohle said:

My faith comes from my choice to look upon the Bible as a revelation of the nature of God, which is fulfilled in the New Testament

This is not science, it is choosing a belief. As it happens, this belief is from the past when man was still trying to understand things...and that includes himself.

Belief in 'guide lines' is fine and wanting to follow them is based purely on the believer.

Man is always evolving, and along with this, so is his understanding, his discoveries and inventions and that is science.

The belief in god is not part of mans evolusion, it is sticking to the past when man was in his earlier stages. Today we know better, unless you choose not to by believing in the bible. 

The bible is not all wrong, but it is not helping us progress forward, science does that. 

If there were a god, you would not need a belief....we would all know about it.

• Like 1

Who doesn't know, all about God?

Edited by Will Due

3 hours ago, markdohle said:

I believe that belief in God is logical. 

This is in diametric opposition to The First Axiom of Dan  thusly stated:

Belief is irrelevant with regards to truth.  The truth just is.  The truth is not incumbent upon belief in order to be.  It just is.  Belief finds relevance in how one lives one's individual life.

Therefore:

Belief is not logical.  One might be believing something that is true or one might be believing something that is false.  The truth has nothing to do with personal experience or what makes sense to one individual mind.  Whatever the truth is...that is the truth.  Belief is not logical.  It cannot be.  Because:

Belief is irrelevant with regards to the truth.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

And faith finds relevance in "Whatever the truth is...that is the truth." 

Well, not everyone has the same idea of what is god. Religions pretty much have similar ideas. Some people may look at nature and living beings and say it is god. Others look at the laws of the universe and say god. Other at mathematics ot whatever.

But maybe god is just the energy behind all things. It doesn't care about anything, it doesn't care what we do or what happens. It just is and what we see around is an expression of that energy or intelligence or whatever it is.

So in my opinion god and science as we know it today will never make ends meet. Because whatever created all of this will defintely not be something that our minds or our tools will be able to detect or even have an idea about. It is beyond our level of understanding. I think a close analogy would be to tell a fish to explain water. He can see it, have a life because of it, but he doesn't have the intelligence necessary to explain it. It is way beyond his level of understanding. Similarly, maybe whatever created all of this is way beyond our level of intelligence and perception.

• Like 1

But we are not fish. Which means we are very likely to be able to comprehend just enough aplenty.

Edited by Will Due

God is an idea created by mankind for selfish reasons. Many of them, I suspect, were born of fear and the need for power/control. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

But what if God is much more than just an idea?

13 minutes ago, Will Due said:

But we are not fish. Which means we are very likely to be able to comprehend just enough aplenty.

Yeah, to understand enough, but to not be able to come to a clear conclusion. We are created by it. If it is capable of creating us and all other things in the universe, I doubt it is something at our level of perception. Just like a neuron cannot do or understand much, but all neurons can perform and help us understand so many things, so we are like one neuron. And the creation is like the entire human body. Maybe not the best analogy again but you get what my limited mind tried to say. :blink: :D

• Like 2

1 minute ago, andrew.t said:

so we are like one neuron. And the creation is like the entire human body. Maybe not the best analogy again but you get what my limited mind tried to say. :blink: :D

Believe it or not, I know exactly what you're saying because I've been thinking about it that way since I was a teenager. :)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, sci-nerd said:

Yup! It's called quantum fluctuation. The only thing that makes more sense is a virtual Big Bang.

Good.  Because the universe making itself makes no sense whatsoever when you think about it.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, sci-nerd said:

If there is, it is not God. I would bet my life on it!

If there is intelligent design in all this, it is because we are living inside a computer, made by advanced people.

I believe in 'happenstance'. The Popeye theory. I yam what I yam.

Other than that, I'm completely ignorant, and blissfully so.

Edited by Likely Guy
  • Haha 2

It has always made me wonder why , IF there be a God , this GOD only exists in the mockery to the very basics of common human intelligence of this God's believers ...

~

• Like 2

All I got from that video was life is so improbable therefore God.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2