Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

God and science

markdohle

4 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

That or they guilt trip you for not believing. Not everyone who is religious or spiritual is a condescending jerk, but some of them are the worst.

Well I figure if I want to burn in some mythological hell it's my choice the way I see it.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Alien Origins said:

Well I figure if I want to burn in some mythological hell it's my choice the way I see it.

I don't know. The Christian concept of heaven and hell look the same to me. Forced worship or endless pain forever. Nothing more, nothing less. It's a horrible concept. I find reincarnation to be idiotic. It invokes the idea of infinite suicide. Then you have weird spiritual beliefs in space jesus, etc. Seems like more work that it's worth. 

• Like 1

Ladies and Gentlemen, please hold on to your keyboards and mouse cursors, we will be entering the metaphysical realm and do not be alarmed if space jesus denies any dancing with forbidden messages. Snacks and light beverages is not recommended while perusing.

~

• Haha 5

8 hours ago, danydandan said:

Can you elaborate on what truths you can't test?

Actually, the truths are subjective. What may be true for me, may not be true for you.

As I said, philosophical claims are untestable, even if many things are true.

Next would be morals and ethics.

Historical claims also cannot be tested. All we can do is guess. But since we haven't observed the past, we cannot say for sure what is true.

Paranormal experience cannot be tested. Also, it is not what all will experience. It may be true for the person who experienced it, but hearsay for others.

Some scientific theories, like String Theory have not been tested. It may be true.

In short, if we don't consider the possibility of something being true, we think it is false. But it may actually be true.

So something that is untested doesn't imply it is false.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Avinash Suresh said:

Actually, the truths are subjective. What may be true for me, may not be true for you.

As I said, philosophical claims are untestable, even if many things are true.

Next would be morals and ethics.

Historical claims also cannot be tested. All we can do is guess. But since we haven't observed the past, we cannot say for sure what is true.

Paranormal experience cannot be tested. Also, it is not what all will experience. It may be true for the person who experienced it, but hearsay for others.

Some scientific theories, like String Theory have not been tested. It may be true.

In short, if we don't consider the possibility of something being true, we think it is false. But it may actually be true.

So something that is untested doesn't imply it is false.

No quite the opposite actually. Truths are objective, the truth is the truth regardless of how you or I perceive it. 

And string theory or rather aspects of it have made numerous predictions, been tested and verified. It's been through the rigour of scientific method, some aspects of it are untestable like multiple universes. String theory has no morphed into M-Theory.

Here is a summary I did a while ago.

30 minutes ago, danydandan said:

No quite the opposite actually. Truths are objective, the truth is the truth regardless of how you or I perceive it. 

And string theory or rather aspects of it have made numerous predictions, been tested and verified. It's been through the rigour of scientific method, some aspects of it are untestable like multiple universes. String theory has no morphed into M-Theory.

Here is a summary I did a while ago.

Well, maybe String Theory can be tested. 

But what about others?

Paranormal especially can't be experienced by all. You have to tune yourself to higher vibrations to be able to communicate with spirits.

What about channeling?

None except the channeler knows what is true. 

2 hours ago, Avinash Suresh said:

But what about others?

Paranormal especially can't be experienced by all. You have to tune yourself to higher vibrations to be able to communicate with spirits.

What about channeling?

Made up stuff can't be tested because it's made up. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, psyche101 said:

Made up stuff can't be tested because it's made up. 

What isn't made up?

Say that a robber robbed you. Now you go to the police and he says,

'We are not going to nab the thief because we THINK you have made up the story. We want proof of he robbing you. Only then will we look into the matter.'

What would you do then?

1 hour ago, Avinash Suresh said:

What isn't made up?

Say that a robber robbed you. Now you go to the police and he says,

'We are not going to nab the thief because we THINK you have made up the story. We want proof of he robbing you. Only then will we look into the matter.'

What would you do then?

Come now, you've picked a poor example for an analogy there, if the Police thinks you've made up the story, they need some very good basis backed by solid evidence, other than just mere suspicions. When those suspicions are confirmed, then they will have to charge you with making a false report. Otherwise, when you make a formal report, they have to investigate, that is, if you provided enough leads for them to investigate, other than that, your report will just have to wait until there is more available evidence to satisfy the Courts or a State Prosecutor for an arrest

~

Edited by third_eye
Law speak fail
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, third_eye said:

Come now, you've picked a poor example for an analogy there, if the Police thinks you've made up the story, they need some very good basis backed by solid evidence, other than just mere suspicions. When those suspicions are confirmed, then they will have to charge you with making a false report. Otherwise, when you make a formal report, they have to investigate, that is, if you provided enough leads for them to investigate, other than that, your report will just have to wait until there is more available evidence to satisfy the Courts or a State Prosecutor for an arrest

~

The point is, they have to investigate the matter. Even if they think that you have made things up, they need to investigate to solve the case.

Only after investigations can they have certainty over their suspicions.

Claiming that your story is made up and hence cannot be investigated, does not do justice on the matter.

Just now, Avinash Suresh said:

The point is, they have to investigate the matter. Even if they think that you have made things up, they need to investigate to solve the case.

Only after investigations can they have certainty over their suspicions.

Claiming that your story is made up and hence cannot be investigated, does not do justice on the matter.

Now you're shifting the sand of your beach front sand castle, If they think that you have made things up, then all they will do is to investigate you and gather evidence of why you are making things up. Justice isn't marked or earmarked according to your arguments. YOu present your arguments and that's where it starts to where it leads, whether it ends up where you wish or wants is not up to you but is totally reliant on the presuppositions raised with your initial hypothesis or speculations

~

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

I wasn't aware that the amount of planets estimated to be suitable to life was now down in the thousands, given the size of the universe. What are these 200 exact parameters that he keeps waffling on about?

Sounds like cherry picking and handwaving to me.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

18 hours ago, Avinash Suresh said:

Biocentrism is a theory proposed by Dr. Robert Lanza.

Btw, who is Gitt? Please be clear.

I really do think Dr. Lanza is really on to something. I love science that goes against the grain of the establishment.

• Like 1

danydandan said : Actually to introduce logic into this is a fallacy.

I'm a Theist, but an Agnostic one at that. That's the only logical conclusion.

Actually, I would say that I agree, however, I would change logical, to scientific, since The God question can't be handled by science, yet can be used to bolster both atheism and theism and a lot in between.  I have respect for the agnostic stance, though it drives 'some' atheist crazy, don't know why that is. 

Edited by markdohle
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Avinash Suresh said:

But what about others?

What about channeling?

All that paranormal stuff has failed any and every test conducted with scientific rigour. 

One explanation a certain user here likes to make is that ghost or spirts know. 

What the hell is channelling?

• Thanks 1

Let's rouse things up a bit ....

~

Unexplained: Helen Duncan The Blitz Witch (Paranormal Investigation Documentary) | Timeline - YouTube

[00.48:09]

~

~

Jump to Repeal of the Witchcraft Act - In 1944, Duncan was one of the last people convicted under the Witchcraft Act 1735, which made falsely claiming to ...

~

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, danydandan said:

You mean the crap Harry Houdini debunked, and was perfected by Derek Acorah? 

Yep. The more you dig into the paranormal and supernatural the less substance to it there is. The more people use it the fill in the blanks. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

On 22/11/2018 at 4:54 AM, Guyver said:

Good.  Because the universe making itself makes no sense whatsoever when you think about it.

Mathematically it does, and math is the language of science and of the universe.

29 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

Yep. The more you dig into the paranormal and supernatural the less substance to it there is. The more people use it the fill in the blanks. 

I want to learn how to cold read and then tell people afterwards that is what I did. 

Do you have Netflix? You should watch Darren Brown: Miracle. It's incredible.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Avinash Suresh said:

The problem comes with the conception of God. God for me, is the source of the universe. It is the fabric that binds all that is together. God is not, some human-like figure in the heavens waving his wand for Good and Evil, as most religions might get you to think. God has no gender. He is no human. Yet, he is within all. God is Light. Not just any light, but that light through which everything manifested.

Now if you don't like this, that's absolutely fine.

But if you are interested, start by reading Kingdom of God is within you by Leo Tolstoy. Also, research the children of the law of one.

It is important to experience things to learn. 

Instead of saying only Science is right or only God is right, why can't they both be right? I've found that both paths lead to the same principle of Oneness.

I mean no disrespect, but that is just your own homebrewed fantasy, to fulfill your own personal need for sense in life.
There are hundreds of God-interpretations, and they all claim to be the one true faith.

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, sci-nerd said:

I mean no disrespect, but that is just your own homebrewed fantasy, to fulfill your own personal need for sense in life.
There are hundreds of God-interpretations, and they all claim to be the one true faith.

Myfantasyisbetterthanyourfantasyism.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, danydandan said:

You mean the crap Harry Houdini debunked, and was perfected by Derek Acorah? 

Ah Derek Acorah.

Time to mention the obligatory "Mary loves Dick!"

Sorry. I thought it was par for the course when his name is mentioned confusedsn.gif

As you were.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, danydandan said:

All that paranormal stuff has failed any and every test conducted with scientific rigour. 

One explanation a certain user here likes to make is that ghost or spirts know. 

What the hell is channelling?

This is channeled information and I would say very informative.

• Confused 1