Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

God and science

markdohle

28 minutes ago, Dejarma said:

I don't understand the analogy there 

OK.  Well, if you'd like to understand more, just let me know and I'll explain it to you when I get a chance.  

6 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

Dreams are not "another reality". 

If reality is as we experience it, they are.  Maybe not a different reality in themselves, but certainly a subset of this one.  Question, do you make any distinction between dreams and visions?

Or, would you not even allow that "visions" actually exist?

PS.  I'll look for your response after golf practice.  I'm heading out now.  

45 minutes ago, Guyver said:

IDK, it seems to me that not having a direct physical interaction with it means we don’t know what it is.  Not only that, I don’t agree that we know exactly how much of it there is, and that we understand how it interacts.  My understanding is that our knowledge of it is in its infancy and that all theories related to it are based on computer models.  These, as you know, change as variables change.  

Unlike many other theories (fx. supersymmetry), dark matter bares the trademarks of something we can trust. Math likes it. Its effect is observable. It works in our models. All scientists I know of accept it. We actually have to rewrite general relativity to get rid of it. It is therefore easier to accept it than to deny it, on all parameters.

Another thing is the public conception of "matter". Matter does not need to be solid. That is a misperception. Matter does not need to be tangible. It can change between solid and not solid. So matter is know to be non-solid. That also speak in favor of dark matter.

But that been said, I already have a theory in place, just in case dark matter eludes detection. That's the beauty of science. No dogma's.

4 minutes ago, Guyver said:

Or, would you not even allow that "visions" actually exist?

There is absolutely nothing special about us. Dreams are just memory dumps with imagery. Visions belong to lunatics.

4 minutes ago, Truthseeker007 said:

Is anything a reality or is it all an illusion?

Run full speed into a brick wall and tell me if that's real or not.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, sci-nerd said:

Unlike many other theories (fx. supersymmetry), dark matter bares the trademarks of something we can trust. Math likes it. Its effect is observable. It works in our models. All scientists I know of accept it. We actually have to rewrite general relativity to get rid of it. It is therefore easier to accept it than to deny it, on all parameters.

Another thing is the public conception of "matter". Matter does not need to be solid. That is a misperception. Matter does not need to be tangible. It can change between solid and not solid. So matter is know to be non-solid. That also speak in favor of dark matter.

But that been said, I already have a theory in place, just in case dark matter eludes detection. That's the beauty of science. No dogma's.

I like your kind of science sci-nerd. A lot of established and mainstream science had become dogmatic but I think you try to see the bigger picture and are a true scientist. I am thinking that dark matter maybe the other dimensions that we can not see with the naked eye. I know there is some kind of theory on dark matter being that. I do agree that matter isn't solid hence so much space between the nucleus and the atoms. It is only an illusion that it is solid. I do think if we are able to change our thinking patterns enough you could walk through a wall or put your hand right through a solid object. We are so sucked into the illusion that we can't do it.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

Run full speed into a brick wall and tell me if that's real or not.

I have gotten run over by a truck and what happened is I actually didn't feel anything. Well until I woke up.lol! Pain is also an illusion because if you didn't have nerve endings you wouldn't feel a thing.

I like your kind of science sci-nerd. A lot of established and mainstream science had become dogmatic but I think you try to see the bigger picture and are a true scientist. I am thinking that dark matter maybe the other dimensions that we can not see with the naked eye. I know there is some kind of theory on dark matter being that. I do agree that matter isn't solid hence so much space between the nucleus and the atoms. It is only an illusion that it is solid. I do think if we are able to change our thinking patterns enough you could walk through a wall or put your hand right through a solid object. We are so sucked into the illusion that we can't do it.

To understand what is meant by non-solid, you need to understand the Higgs Boson. It makes energy solid.

Other dimensions is probably the quantum multiverse hypothesis. If it holds truth or not, we are not in any way in contact with them, nor can we become.

If you ever put your hand through a solid object, like a wall, be sure to make a video. I'd like to see that! ;)

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Truthseeker007 said:

I have gotten run over by a truck and what happened is I actually didn't feel anything. Well until I woke up.lol! Pain is also an illusion because if you didn't have nerve endings you wouldn't feel a thing.

Don't try to weasel your way out of this. You got hit and you felt it. The pain was real, the damage was real. When the truck hit you it was real. You can pretend it wasn't. You can pretend the pain wasn't. It was a real experience. 

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

Dreams are not "another reality". 

I agree. But when you are in one, do you think: This is too weird, it must be a dream!

??

• Like 1

The thread has regressed into a philosophical debate, dressed in a scientific dress.

• Haha 3

14 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

Don't try to weasel your way out of this. You got hit and you felt it. The pain was real, the damage was real. When the truck hit you it was real. You can pretend it wasn't. You can pretend the pain wasn't. It was a real experience. 

I can feel pain in my dreams also so does that make them real?

12 minutes ago, sci-nerd said:

I agree. But when you are in one, do you think: This is too weird, it must be a dream!

??

Sometimes when I realize I am in a dream I can control it. For example in one I realized I could fly around. So I decided to fly into space to see the moon which was interesting. Their were underground bases in it and some cool structures. So yea sometimes I can control my dreams.lol!

Edited by Truthseeker007

6 minutes ago, danydandan said:

The thread has regressed into a philosophical debate, dressed in a scientific dress.

Yummy! :wub:

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

12 minutes ago, sci-nerd said:

??

I know it's a dream. So such thoughts don't enter my mind. 

I can feel pain in my dreams also so does that make them real?

No that doesn't. It's the effect of memory and the psychosomatic effect. Can you remember the feelings you had after getting a tooth pulled? Can you create a mental model of that event with such clarity that you get a phantom pain? The pain isn't caused by anything real, only the memory of it. When the tooth was first pulled a real world event caused that memory to be created. 

10 minutes ago, danydandan said:

The thread has regressed into a philosophical debate

All of them do.

• Like 1

Just now, XenoFish said:

All of them do.

Unfortunately, that's true. 

Wished they'd all stay in the Religious and/or Philosophy sections.

1 minute ago, XenoFish said:

I know it's a dream. So such thoughts don't enter my mind.

So you actually know you are dreaming when you dream? Wow! That's amazing!

21 minutes ago, sci-nerd said:

To understand what is meant by non-solid, you need to understand the Higgs Boson. It makes energy solid.

Other dimensions is probably the quantum multiverse hypothesis. If it holds truth or not, we are not in any way in contact with them, nor can we become.

If you ever put your hand through a solid object, like a wall, be sure to make a video. I'd like to see that! ;)

Would not channeling other entities be in contact with entities from other dimensions? I have heard some Yogis in Indiana can do it but yea waiting for a video myself.:lol::lol:

I really like the quantum multiverse hypothesis. It just seems to make sense to me. Thanks for the information!:D

Just now, danydandan said:

Unfortunately, that's true. 

Wished they'd all stay in the Religious and/or Philosophy sections.

I really wish people would quit bring god into science. God doesn't belong there. God belong is philosophy and psychology, the soft sciences. 

4 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

No that doesn't. It's the effect of memory and the psychosomatic effect. Can you remember the feelings you had after getting a tooth pulled? Can you create a mental model of that event with such clarity that you get a phantom pain? The pain isn't caused by anything real, only the memory of it. When the tooth was first pulled a real world event caused that memory to be created. 

I mean I can't really disagree with that. I can remember some of my past dreams though just as much as when I was run over by a truck.

1 minute ago, XenoFish said:

Not that difficult. 

They call it lucid dreams. I've tried it maybe 3-4 times in my life. 99.9999% of my dreams I think it's real.

Just now, Truthseeker007 said:

I mean I can't really disagree with that. I can remember some of my past dreams though just as much as when I was run over by a truck.

That's just a memory. Here's an exercise everyone can do.

Think of a yawn. The sound, feeling, and sensation of yawning. Imagine it, imagine yourself yawning, think of others yawning and "hear it" in your mind. Repeat this over and over in your mind again. Tell me what happens.