Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

God and science

markdohle

2 hours ago, Avinash Suresh said:

Dreaming while awake is called lucid dreaming. You are aware of what's happening, but your body is at rest. In lucid dreaming, you are in control of your dreams. In this case, you are semi-conscious.

However if you are dreaming when doing something, it's called day dreaming. This is the term commonly used, but I prefer calling it visualization.In this case, you are conscious of your body. 

But it also happens that you are conscious of your body, are focused in your work and still get dreamlike images. These are called 'insights'.

Yes I know all of this and thanks for describing. I have actually. Also some very good meditations can put you in another world.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Alien Origins said:

That perception of time will not be in our life time...The Sun at some point is going to die and likely as said swallow the Earth...At that point no god is going to save any of us, but then again they estimate that the Sun won't die for another 3.5 billion years so all this maybe moot.  

There is also 200 billion other suns just in this universe alone.

56 minutes ago, Rlyeh said:

It's called imagination.  Gnosis is another attempt of making up stories why the universe isn't how you want it to be.

Doesn't imagination create? Who is to say they somethings imagination didn't create us?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

9 hours ago, danydandan said:

A word associated with a nearly undescribable feeling.

And yet, there are many who consider love to be action, not a feeling.  Perhaps love is so frequently used in the context of physical attraction or eros, it’s meaning gets conflated.  That love is a good kind of love, for sure....but take Old Yeller sacrificing himself to save his boy.  That has nothing to do with eros, and everything to do with selfless care for another.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, danydandan said:

Not real, all reality is, is a mass consensus of subjective observations. Or is it?

Plus life is only as meaningful or as meaningless as you make it. 

On the first point.....it would appear so, yes.  Yet, there could be more to it.  The “collective soul” if you will.  What that is or what extent it intercepts reality as we understand it, IDK.

On the last point, I agree.  But, that does show life has meaning, IMO.  It seems as plain as day.  Life has the meaning we give it.  So again, that is one clear proof that life is not meaningless.  We are certainly not meaningless and it seems to me that everything is connected in some way.  If so, then wouldn’t that indicate that nothing is without meaning?

So, it really can’t be said that the universe is without meaning when beings such as we ourselves experience that which is meaningful and contemplate its cause or reason for being.

• Like 2

PS to Dan.  I agree with your point that our own beliefs, opinions, and biases should be kept out of pure science.  Absolutely.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Truthseeker007 said:

Doesn't imagination create? Who is to say they somethings imagination didn't create us?

Create fiction?

9 minutes ago, Truthseeker007 said:

Isn't everything fiction?

Fiction is something untrue so no everything isn't fiction.

Just now, Rlyeh said:

Fiction is something untrue so no everything isn't fiction.

How do you know your not fiction living in a fictional world?

Just now, Truthseeker007 said:

How do you know your not fiction living in a fictional world?

Really? The fact you're asking this shows I'm not fictional.

2 minutes ago, Rlyeh said:

Really? The fact you're asking this shows I'm not fictional.

If we are in a fictional world created by imagination then you are fictional also. If an entity had A.I. in a video game it wouldn't know it was created and fictional. It will believe it is real living in a real world. It is very possible we are in a simulation of some kind.

If we are in a fictional world created by imagination then you are fictional also. If an entity had A.I. in a video game it wouldn't know it was created and fictional. It will believe it is real living in a real world. It is very possible we are in a simulation of some kind.

If we were fictional we would not do or experience anything.

If an AI exists in a video game regardless of what it believes it would not be fictional.  If we are in a simulation we aren't fictional either.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Truthseeker007 said:

There is also 200 billion other suns just in this universe alone.

Those are irrelevant to the Earth....Without the Sun we all die and everything on Earth goes with us.

23 minutes ago, Truthseeker007 said:

@sci-nerd you have like minded fella.

• Haha 2

Believing in something doesn't make it true.

• Like 2

Fiction is overrated ... friction is underrated ...

~

• Haha 2

32 minutes ago, Alien Origins said:

Those are irrelevant to the Earth....Without the Sun we all die and everything on Earth goes with us.

Yes your body will die but will your consciousness which can explore those 200 billion other suns?

47 minutes ago, Rlyeh said:

If we were fictional we would not do or experience anything.

If an AI exists in a video game regardless of what it believes it would not be fictional.  If we are in a simulation we aren't fictional either.

So what do you conclude is the point of experiencing anything if once you die you cease to exist? 

3 minutes ago, Truthseeker007 said:

Yes your body will die but will your consciousness which can explore those 200 billion other suns?

What's preventing your consciousness from exploring them now?

1 minute ago, Truthseeker007 said:

So what do you conclude is the point of experiencing anything if once you die you cease to exist? 

To aid you when you're alive.

Just now, Rlyeh said:

What's preventing your consciousness from exploring them now?

I would say pure laziness in not taking the time to do it.:lol:

I would say pure laziness in not taking the time to do it.:lol:

So why would that be any different when you're dead?