Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
markdohle

God and science

944 posts in this topic

Jodie.Lynne
On ‎1‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 2:26 PM, Will Due said:

Lets say your intention is to be true. To live the truth as best you can. You tell me something you believe is true. But in actuality, what you think is true isn't. Now what? You mean to tell me I should consider you a liar?

Will, turn that around and apply it to yourself and your beliefs in the UB.

do you see the dilemma?

• Thanks 3

Dejarma
13 minutes ago, Jodie.Lynne said:

And you "feel" this because...?

the universe is expanding (so i'm told) i'd assume it can only expand for so much then like an elastic band at full stretch has to give way & shoots back to it's original length making all matter collide on itself creating a big bang

Jodie.Lynne
Just now, Dejarma said:

the universe is expanding (so i'm told) i'd assume it can only expand for so much then like an elastic band at full stretch has to give way & shoots back to it's original length making all matter collide on itself creating a big bang

That is possible, I suppose, but it is equally likely that our universe will just keep on expanding.

The problem lies, I think, in the fact that humans cannot really picture and endless void. We are so accustomed to defined limitations on things.

Like, it is "X" number of miles from here to there. It's almost like people picture the universe as some sort of immeasurable fish bowl, where expansion is limited to the walls of the bowl. Yet, we have no evidence that such is true. And why would the matter in this universe "snap back" to it's point of origin? 

• Thanks 1

cormac mac airt
3 minutes ago, Jodie.Lynne said:

That is possible, I suppose, but it is equally likely that our universe will just keep on expanding.

The problem lies, I think, in the fact that humans cannot really picture and endless void. We are so accustomed to defined limitations on things.

Like, it is "X" number of miles from here to there. It's almost like people picture the universe as some sort of immeasurable fish bowl, where expansion is limited to the walls of the bowl. Yet, we have no evidence that such is true. And why would the matter in this universe "snap back" to it's point of origin? 

IIRC the current model suggests a Big Freeze where expansion continues to the point all the stars burn out, which is known as “heat death”. 

cormac

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Dejarma
10 minutes ago, Jodie.Lynne said:

And why would the matter in this universe "snap back" to it's point of origin? 

i've no idea..one minute= i'll just check in my little book of facts_________________________________________________________

___________________________________________________________________________________________________

nope, no enrty for that;)

• Haha 2

Jodie.Lynne
3 minutes ago, cormac mac airt said:

IIRC the current model suggests a Big Freeze where expansion continues to the point all the stars burn out, which is known as “heat death”. 

cormac

I have heard that theory, and it makes sense. In the long term. The r-e-a-l-l-y long term of billions (trillions?) of years. New stars are born as old ones burn out. Not on a 1-to-1 basis obviously, and eventually, I could envision matter becoming so thin as to prevent the formation of new stars.

And, just for the sake of argument, if Dejarma's  'feeling' were correct, the universe wouldn't "snap back" in an instant, but would reverse itself to a point where matter density was thick enough to create new stars. Which, from my non-astrophysics point of view, would delay the "big implosion", perhaps to the point where 'point zero' is never reached.

Like a ripple in a pan of water that generates new ripples.

• Like 1

third_eye

I for one is pretty dang sure about one thing, nobody is gonna be around to find out for sure one way or another ... better to figure out where and how to deal with all the garbage that's gonna be filling up the planet that's for sure

~

• Like 5

Golden Duck
3 hours ago, Jodie.Lynne said:

WOW, a whole city full of Satanists??? It's like a bad grade z horror flick!

So do all these people you have dealt with just up and tell you they are Satanists? Or do you simply categorize anyone who doesn't believe as you do as Satanists?

Did you hear about the dyslexic devil worshipper? He sold his soul to Santa.

Did you hear about the dyslexic narcissist? He was obsessed with elfs.

• Haha 2

ChrLzs
39 minutes ago, third_eye said:

I for one is pretty dang sure about one thing, nobody is gonna be around to find out for sure one way or another ... better to figure out where and how to deal with all the garbage that's gonna be filling up the planet that's for sure

~

Wall-e.

• Haha 3

Golden Duck
47 minutes ago, third_eye said:

~

It's how Doomsday was beaten once and for all.

3035504-qq%E6%88%AA%E5%9B%BE201305102139

• Haha 2

ChrLzs
1 hour ago, Golden Duck said:

It's how Doomsday was beaten once and for all.

3035504-qq%E6%88%AA%E5%9B%BE201305102139

Reading that, I feel a great sense of fullfilment.  It's wonderful to know that it (Life, the Universe & everything) had a real meaning and higher purpose...  namely gettin' revenge by kickin' some bad dude's butt.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

Emma_Acid
On 20/01/2019 at 10:32 PM, cormac mac airt said:

cormac

Heat death is basically where the energy gradient of the universe disappears. There will be no matter and all energy will be equally distributed through space. Because of this time will basically disappear as a concept - there will be no difference in the universe from one second to the next.

Happy Sunday everyone.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

ChrLzs
37 minutes ago, Emma_Acid said:

Heat death is basically where the energy gradient of the universe disappears. There will be no matter and all energy will be equally distributed through space. Because of this time will basically disappear as a concept - there will be no difference in the universe from one second to the next.

Oh dear.  I better get the washing in.

• Haha 4

Avinash Suresh

Define Science. 

I'm not an expert, so am asking you. If you give a definition to Science, I won't be talking about pseudoscience here...

ChrLzs
10 hours ago, Avinash Suresh said:

Define Science. 

I'm not an expert, so am asking you. If you give a definition to Science, I won't be talking about pseudoscience here...

So.. you've not been involved in it, didn't learn it at school, and can't Google?

Science is a process by which we observe phenomena, and then, using a process called the Scientific Method (look it up), explain those observations via hypotheses -> theories.  It is self-correcting - so if new observations defy existing theories, or if simpler/better theories are found, those will replace the old ones.  The most logical and simplest theories become the 'current' or 'accepted' or 'mainstream' theories.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

ChrLzs
On 11/03/2019 at 10:01 PM, Avinash Suresh said:

Define Science. 

I just gave a loose, but pretty accurate definition of it (entirely in my own words too!!!)

We now await, with unbated breath, your witty riposte.  Don't let us down, Avinash - what is your point, or do you have a problem with my definition?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

danydandan
54 minutes ago, ChrLzs said:

I just gave a loose, but pretty accurate definition of it (entirely in my own words too!!!)

We now await, with unbated breath, your witty riposte.  Don't let us down, Avinash - what is your point, or do you have a problem with my definition?

Do you ever wonder what happened to that dude with the 'free-energy' device? 

• Haha 3

Guyver
On 12/21/2018 at 7:52 AM, Suprnova said:

I lean heavily, almost lopsided towards scientific facts, but i am always open minded to things i do not understand, if something is scientifically proven to not exist and 'can't exist' then i tend to believe that, if there is ever a grey area, i stay maybe not open minded, but 'willing to listen' if that makes sense.

The only things that can be proven by science are within the boundaries of human understanding, which is enough for me, but i won't rule out there is things that exist outside of our understanding.

I'm not religious at all, but i'm not anti-religion.

Gray area is all we get in this life.

ChrLzs
On 14/03/2019 at 7:18 AM, ChrLzs said:

I just gave a loose, but pretty accurate definition of it {Science} (entirely in my own words too!!!)

Avinash, where are you?  Not interested any more?  I see you've been back since, but no reply....

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1