Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Metal detectorist unearths Celtic chariot

Still Waters

2 minutes ago, hetrodoxly said:

Not forgetting the 17th century kilts.

I'm glad to say I've never seen it. I saw the other two 'historical' epics he came up with though. Jesus.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, oldrover said:

I'm glad to say I've never seen it. I saw the other two 'historical' epics he came up with though. Jesus.

What do you expect from a Conservative Catholic?

Trainwrecks..........

Made us Natives look like crap and slaveowning murderers look like heros

• Like 2

Just now, oldrover said:

It was a good comedy, i lasted about 20 minuets, when you know a little bit about history and the film doesn't know anything about the subject it's hard to go on.

• Like 2

Just now, Piney said:

What do you expect from a Conservative Catholic?

Trainwrecks..........

Made us Natives look like crap and slaveowning murderers look like heros

I must have missed that gem. I was thinking of the Jesus one, and my personal favourite densely impenetrable load of I know not what, Apocalypto. 

At the end of which the Spanish turn up. But what did he mean by that? Had it descended into self parody at that point? Was he just trying to get one last laugh in before the credits? Or was he saying that it'll be OK now, the Christians have arrived? What? 

4 minutes ago, hetrodoxly said:

It was a good comedy, i lasted about 20 minuets, when you know a little bit about history and the film doesn't know anything about the subject it's hard to go on.

Indeed. I've seen a few segments of it too. But Gibson with his face painted blue is just too much. He's a silly looking sod. Well done on the 20 minutes though, especially if they were consecutive minutes. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, oldrover said:

I must have missed that gem. I was thinking of the Jesus one, and my personal favourite densely impenetrable load of I know not what, Apocalypto. 

I never had the urge to watch the Jesus one. Which was based on a story spouted by a German woman with ergot poisoning. 

Apocalypto makes me ill....

• Like 2

On 11/28/2018 at 9:27 AM, danydandan said:

Really good research regarding the Celts is few and far between unfortunately. 

The book is actually a series of CD's I listen to commuting to work.  It is  The Celtic World by Prof. Jennifer Paxton.  She seems pretty mainstream from her bio.  She is not putting forth her own theories but lecturing on current research and different pictures of Celtic origins and history. I listened again, there is a two migration theory of Goidelic and Brittonic language differences. The first group of migrants/invaders made it all the way to Ireland.  Several hundred years later a second wave stopped in Britain.

• Thanks 2

• 2 months later...

Update:

Pembrokeshire chariot burial finds ruled as treasure

Parts of an Iron Age chariot found by a metal detectorist have been declared treasure by the Pembrokeshire coroner.

Mike Smith made the discovery in February 2018 on farmland in the south of the county.

Mr Smith says the 2,000-year-old finds could be worth a "life-changing" six to seven figure sum.

The nine artefacts are now Crown property and a independent valuation committee will decide on the payment to Mr Smith.

That will be shared fifty-fifty between Mr Smith and the landowner.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-47072503

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

• 4 months later...

Latest:

Archaeologists have discovered more artefacts at the first Celtic chariot burial site to be found in southern Britain.

Two iron tyres and a sword from the chariot were retrieved during an excavation in Pembrokeshire.

The exact site remains a secret and follows the discovery of decorative objects by a metal detector enthusiast on the same land in February 2018.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-48766001

• Thanks 1