Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Russia mission will 'verify US Moon landings'

UM-Bot

18 minutes ago, Obviousman said:

When it involves technical matters beyond my - and indeed a lot of peoples - expertise then yes, I pay attention to people who have actual qualifications in that field.

I watch youtube. Lots of great videos there from basement experts.

Well the moon doesn't spin, therefore it must be flat, like earth. Oh and I know the Russians will "verify" it with CGI, like NASA does the flat earth we live on. Who can you trust these days?

Edited by South Alabam

5 hours ago, NCC1701 said:

Putin will remove every trace of the Apollo landings.

Ahhhhh HA !!

NOW we see how it's going to play out :ph34r:

Probably best if Russia sends astronauts to the Far Side so they can't be accused of that -

But what if they find some Apollo stuff there - what a kerfuffle that will cause.... 
Not that anyone would believe it - so no one panic... :innocent:

• Like 1

On 11/26/2018 at 3:36 AM, toast said:

For what reasons exactly?

Well, for the advancement of human beings for one. We have a natural orbiting mini earth from which we can build on. Just send everything that would be needed to dig out a comfortable, reliable underground base. It can be used for scientific research. It can be used as a launch off base to the rest of the solar system. If we get advanced enough it can be used as a port where ships full of resources drop off their billions of tons of resources which are safely dropped back to earth. So many possibilities.

Just imagine the possibilities.

• Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, Nzo said:

.Just send everything that would be needed to dig out a comfortable, reliable underground base.

An underground base would be good idea for the reason of radiation protection but a very bad idea because of the expenditure required. Just calculate the weight of the equipment, excavator and related, that is of need to build a habitat that will fit for, lets say, 4 persons. Add to that value the weight of the habitat equipment, like shelter/energy plant/life support systems/research equipment, a kind of port, emergency escape infrastructure and a lot of other stuff as well. An approximate estimation would be something around 50tons=50.000kgs in total. I dont know the actual rate to lift one kg into LEO but it something like 40.000USD, so we have a "freight charge" of 2B but thats only to take it into LEO. From LEO, the stuff must be accelerated to the 2. cosmic speed and decelerated near to the Moon. We dont have the equiment ready yet to do that, means, some additional billions to spend. And not to forget, operational cost must be taken into the calculation as well.

In sum, the investment needed would not be in a good balance to the results of such station.

If we get advanced enough it can be used as a port where ships full of resources drop off their billions of tons of resources which are safely dropped back to earth. So many possibilities.

Of course but the benefits of such station would not justify the needed amount of investment yet also under the consideration that other, and much more important projects like a NEO defense system, would be canceled and/or postponed.

Just imagine the possibilities.

I always do but I always verify the cost-benefit factor and the priority factor as well.

On 11/30/2018 at 4:07 AM, toast said:

An underground base would be good idea for the reason of radiation protection but a very bad idea because of the expenditure required. Just calculate the weight of the equipment, excavator and related, that is of need to build a habitat that will fit for, lets say, 4 persons. Add to that value the weight of the habitat equipment, like shelter/energy plant/life support systems/research equipment, a kind of port, emergency escape infrastructure and a lot of other stuff as well. An approximate estimation would be something around 50tons=50.000kgs in total. I dont know the actual rate to lift one kg into LEO but it something like 40.000USD, so we have a "freight charge" of 2B but thats only to take it into LEO. From LEO, the stuff must be accelerated to the 2. cosmic speed and decelerated near to the Moon. We dont have the equiment ready yet to do that, means, some additional billions to spend. And not to forget, operational cost must be taken into the calculation as well.

In sum, the investment needed would not be in a good balance to the results of such station.

Of course but the benefits of such station would not justify the needed amount of investment yet also under the consideration that other, and much more important projects like a NEO defense system, would be canceled and/or postponed.

I always do but I always verify the cost-benefit factor and the priority factor as well.

Eek...What if the moon isn't held together well enough for digging and it splits in half?? 

• Like 1

Apparently there is another NBA star who isn't very smart.   Steph Curry said he doesn't believe NASA landed on the moon.  

Too late; NASA has already destroyed the landing tapes and all of its unique historical achievment erased from memory... how convenient

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, qxcontinuum said:

Too late; NASA has already destroyed the landing tapes and all of its unique historical achievment erased from memory... how convenient

That's not true. You do know that, don't you?

Exactly what portion of the "landing tapes" do you claim has been "destroyed"? References, please, so everyone can check your accuracy of your statement and judge for themselves.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Obviousman said:

That's not true. You do know that, don't you?

Exactly what portion of the "landing tapes" do you claim has been "destroyed"? References, please, so everyone can check your accuracy of your statement and judge for themselves.

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/mobile.reuters.com/article/amp/idUSTRE56F5MK20090716

• Like 1

3 hours ago, qxcontinuum said:

OK, that shows your ignorance of what happened (no offence - being ignorant of something simply means you are not aware of things).

The original transmission was what was called Slow scan TV (SSTV). I'd recommend you reading how it was done here:

https://www.honeysucklecreek.net/Apollo_11/TV_from_Moon.html

The SSTV tapes were re-used because they were not necessary. The original footage - and all subsequent footage - has always been available.

Edited by Obviousman
Corrected spelling
  • Thanks 1

soviets were tracking every moon landing, there was no question about landing with soviet space centers. they knew we went there.  Russia however seems to be a backward country these days. where they often confuse cause and effect, no wonder their new agency dances to political agenda. and says idiotic things, our moon landing is just a tip of the iceberg

• 8 months later...
1 hour ago, brian100 said:

I say just hand over the Apollo technology to the Russian and let them go.

They probably have it already. Apparently the Soviets had people inside NASA keeping them up to date. (It's one reason the Soviets knew Apollo was real - if NASA had faked Apollo the Soviets would have been all over it like a rash.)

In any case, Apollo technology wouldn't be much use today - we've had 50 years of technological development since Apollo, meaning all sorts of things can now be done far more efficiently than they could be back in the 1960s: new alloys, new manufacturing techniques, smaller and faster computers...Better to start from scratch than try to resurrect zombie technology.

On 9/14/2019 at 4:46 AM, Peter B said:

They probably have it already. Apparently the Soviets had people inside NASA keeping them up to date. (It's one reason the Soviets knew Apollo was real - if NASA had faked Apollo the Soviets would have been all over it like a rash.)

In any case, Apollo technology wouldn't be much use today - we've had 50 years of technological development since Apollo, meaning all sorts of things can now be done far more efficiently than they could be back in the 1960s: new alloys, new manufacturing techniques, smaller and faster computers...Better to start from scratch than try to resurrect zombie technology.

Are you actually hearing what you are saying? Being able to go yourself is the Holy Grail to conquering space.Think of Space as the great beyond.

54 minutes ago, brian100 said:

Are you actually hearing what you are saying? Being able to go yourself is the Holy Grail to conquering space.Think of Space as the great beyond.

??

What I meant (and perhaps you didn't understand my colourful euphemism) was that if America had attempted to fake Apollo, the Soviets would have been able to present clear evidence of that fakery. For one thing, the Soviets were receiving information about Project Apollo from people working on the program, so it's inconceivable that the Americans could have faked Apollo without the Soviets finding out about it. For another, if the Americans had faked Apollo there would have been clear evidence of fakery in the material the Americans made available to the world (such as scientific data, photography, video, telemetry or the Moon rocks themselves).

• Thanks 1

A former intern at NASA may become a millionaire when he sells three metal reels that contain original videotape recordings of man’s first steps on the moon.  

The videotapes will be offered in a live auction on July 20th at Sotheby’s New York, but interested parties are able to place bids now at Sothebys.com. The sale coincides with the 50th anniversary of the Apollo 11 mission. The price could reach $2 million.

According to the auction site, Gary George was awarded a cooperative work internship at the NASA Johnson Space Center in June 1973. Three years later, he bought more than 1,100 reels at a government surplus auction for $218, Reuters reported.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2019/07/02/lost-nasa-tapes-neil-armstrongs-moonwalk-sold-auction/1626020001/

Edited by aztek

14 hours ago, Peter B said:

What I meant (and perhaps you didn't understand my colourful euphemism) was that if America had attempted to fake Apollo, the Soviets would have been able to present clear evidence of that fakery. For one thing, the Soviets were receiving information about Project Apollo from people working on the program, so it's inconceivable that the Americans could have faked Apollo without the Soviets finding out about it.

If the Apollo program was highly compartmentalized, any embedded Soviets would only have small fragments of information to send back. It's not like each employee at NASA had the blueprints sitting in his or her desk drawer.

For another, if the Americans had faked Apollo there would have been clear evidence of fakery in the material the Americans made available to the world (such as scientific data, photography, video, telemetry or the Moon rocks themselves).

Depending on who you ask, there is "clear evidence" in the footage. Again, it depends on who you ask.

Open question for all:

When asked to prove the moon landings, one piece of evidence often cited is the mirrors we left behind. We can point lasers at the mirrors and have them bounce back, thus proving we went to the moon. The question I have is how can a lay-person conduct that experiment, if at all? Based on my 5 min Google search, no commercially available telescope is able to focus on an object that size, at that distance. You would need an incredibly high powered scope to clearly see an object several meters wide on the surface of the moon. If the same agencies supposedly responsible for the fakery are the only ones able to prove it's legitimacy, that's hardly proof in my book. How do you respond?

Spoiler

Disclaimer: I believe we landed on the moon. I'm just having fun here but with some genuine curiosity. 

28 minutes ago, Dark_Grey said:

If the Apollo program was highly compartmentalized, any embedded Soviets would only have small fragments of information to send back. It's not like each employee at NASA had the blueprints sitting in his or her desk drawer.

Depending on who you ask, there is "clear evidence" in the footage. Again, it depends on who you ask.

Open question for all:

When asked to prove the moon landings, one piece of evidence often cited is the mirrors we left behind. We can point lasers at the mirrors and have them bounce back, thus proving we went to the moon. The question I have is how can a lay-person conduct that experiment, if at all? Based on my 5 min Google search, no commercially available telescope is able to focus on an object that size, at that distance. You would need an incredibly high powered scope to clearly see an object several meters wide on the surface of the moon. If the same agencies supposedly responsible for the fakery are the only ones able to prove it's legitimacy, that's hardly proof in my book. How do you respond?

Hide contents

Disclaimer: I believe we landed on the moon. I'm just having fun here but with some genuine curiosity. 

https://wtop.com/science/2019/07/the-experiment-still-running-on-the-moon-and-tv-re-runs-50-years-later/

Don't know how accurate this is but...

“You do need to have a high-powered laser, which is going to set you back about six figures, you have to have the right detector, which is 10 grand or more, the right computers, and of course a $10-to-14 million telescope, which aren’t just laying around,” Jaeger said. “You could rent one I suppose.”

“But it is so complex, that with as much light as you send out and getting just that single photon back, it would be like going to a beach that’s say 1,000 kilometers long, 30 kilometers or so wide, and 30-40 feet deep, and someone telling you exactly what grain of sand you need to pick out of that whole pile.”

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Robotic Jew said:

Thanks for that. It pretty much confirms that bouncing a laser off NASA's mirrors is definitely outside the capabilities of the average astronomer. It's so far out of reach, I'm not sure the "mirrors on the moon" argument can even be cited as proof we went there. To appease the moon hoax crowd, you need sources outside of NASA.