Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Glasgow man jailed for staring creepily

OverSword

Sheriff Court was told that Joe Michael Yexley entered the Honey Pharmacy in the city's Alexandra Parade on September 18, 2017, at around 10.50am.

An assistant asked the 28-year-old if he had been served. After requesting an item that was not in stock, the accused then started to behave oddly.

When outside, Yexley put his face to the glass window and stared in at the worker

Source

Eventually the man was sentenced to 70 days.  For staring.  Staring.  The article doesn't say there was any other reason.  Unbelievable.

• Like 3
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 2

22 minutes ago, seanjo said:

Got to be more to this.

You would think if there was they would publicize it.  If he assaulted or even verbally threatened you would think we would know, but every story is the same.  Jailed for being creepy basically.

• Like 1

It's happened before in Glasgow 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-24536996

32 minutes ago, seanjo said:

Got to be more to this.

I agree. Maybe he was on license or bail or something where he's been warned to stay out of trouble. It seems a tad harsh to be jailed for staring creepily. I'd best not go and watch anymore local netball games or I could end up in the big-house eek.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Wait... has anyone heard from EL, lately?  :w00t:

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 7

If he put the clerk in reasonable fear for life or being attacked, it is assault.

Just see what happens to a punk who stares at my daughter creepily and licks his lips or something. He won't just get an assault, it will be battery, severe battery.

You cannot read about violence and complain people knew the jerk was weird all along and never did anything before it came to that and then give a jerk acting inappropriately like this a free pass. JMO. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Glaskow hooligans :-) He most likely was intoxicated if the police coincider you intoxicated and a danger towards yourself or others they can and will arrest you. Since this is very common perhaps they left this out to make it sound more interesting

Edited by Avalanche
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, seanjo said:

Got to be more to this.

My ex mother in law was from Glasgow. 

They all look scary, the women a touch scarier than the men. :o

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

I wonder if staring can be considered a form of intimidation and intimidation is a criminal offense in most countries.  

6 minutes ago, thedutchiedutch said:

I wonder if staring can be considered a form of intimidation and intimidation is a criminal offense in most countries.  

Maybe so but who decides how to quantify the difference between a long look or a stare?  How does a court determine what's going on in a person's mind?  If there was a history of mental illness or lawless behavior or even just threats then I think it can be justified but if they really took away the man's liberty for 70 days for acting in a way that one person found offensive, it might be time for any freedom-loving Scots to be looking for some redress or a new address.

2 minutes ago, and then said:

Maybe so but who decides how to quantify the difference between a long look or a stare?  How does a court determine what's going on in a person's mind?  If there was a history of mental illness or lawless behavior or even just threats then I think it can be justified but if they really took away the man's liberty for 70 days for acting in a way that one person found offensive, it might be time for any freedom-loving Scots to be looking for some redress or a new address.

Agreed. This whole story is weird. Found another case of staring in Scotland from a while ago https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-24536996

• Like 1

14 hours ago, and then said:

he was doing it through the window, went outside and then went to the window and started staring at the clerk. This is not a case of some poor slob gazing at someone overly long without thinking about it.

"When outside, Yexley put his face to the glass window and stared in at the worker"

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Not A Rockstar said:

he was doing it through the window, went outside and then went to the window and started staring at the clerk. This is not a case of some poor slob gazing at someone overly long without thinking about it.

"When outside, Yexley put his face to the glass window and stared in at the worker"

Was she pretty then? lol

• Haha 1

How weird.  I would understand if they jailed him for talking in a Scottish accent but just for staring!? :huh:

There just has to be more to this than what is being reported.

"You are guity of 3rd degree oogling, as charged"  :unsure:

13 hours ago, Earl.Of.Trumps said:

There just has to be more to this than what is being reported.

"You are guity of 3rd degree oogling, as charged"  :unsure:

Maybe he was touching himself too?

On 28/11/2018 at 10:50 PM, Black Red Devil said:

How weird.  I would understand if they jailed him for talking in a Scottish accent but just for staring!? :huh:

At least we can pronounce the name of our own country.

"Astraya!"

Edited by ExpandMyMind
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, ExpandMyMind said:

"Astraya!"

You don't expect us to pronounce the A do you?  It's Straya.

Edited by Black Red Devil
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, ExpandMyMind said:

"Astraya!"

My mother told me this later in life.  My grandparents were from Scotland but only knew my grandfather although he passed when I was a small kid.  One day I asked my mother what language he spoke.  Thought she was 'kidding' when she said English.  :D

• Haha 2