Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Today In History.

danydandan

Thought it might be interesting in hearing people's today in history from around the world. Ireland's today in history is:

In 1920 on the 28th of November a number IRA volunteers ambushed an elite Auxiliary Column in the British Army in West Cork. This was a direct response to the British army opening fire indiscriminately upon unarmed civilian's in Croke Park a week prior killing 14 civilians attending a GAA football match . This is known as the Kilmichael Ambush.

What's your today in history from your country?

• Like 6

Last Astor was a horrible human being, a racist, anti-Semitic and very anti-catholic.

• Like 1

Tuesday, November 28, 1899

Anglo-Boer War 2: The Battle of Modder River or Tweerivieren takes place, in which both Gen. Methuen and Gen. De la Rey are wounded. Gen. De la Rey's son, Adriaan, is fatally wounded.

Saturday, November 28, 1885

The railway line from Cape Town is completed up to Kimberley.

Tuesday, November 28, 1961

The United Nations' General Assembly adopts an eight nation resolution, by seventy-two votes to two, with twenty-seven abstentions, calling on all member states to take such separate and collective action, as is open to them to bring about the abandonment of South Africa's racial policies. It did not specifically call for sanctions.

Wednesday, November 28, 1973

An Arab oil embargo against South Africa brings the prospects of rationing and the extension of conservation measures.

Thursday, November 28, 1985

Two strategic oil-from-coal plants based in Secunda are attacked by saboteurs.

Saturday, November 28, 1987

159 passengers and crew die when the Helderberg, en route from Taipei to Johannesburg, crashes at approximately seven minutes past midnight into the Indian Ocean 160 km from Mauritius.

Saturday, November 28, 1992

Four White South Africans are killed and seventeen injured when armed APLA guerrillas  storm into a golf club in King William's Town.

Saturday, November 28, 1998

The SA rugby team beats Ireland 27-13 in Dublin.

Sunday, November 28, 1999

At least forty-six people are injured when a pipe bomb explodes in the packed St Elmo restaurant in Camps Bay, Cape Town.

https://www.sahistory.org.za/

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, seanjo said:
  • 1919 US-born Lady Astor elected first female member of British House of Commons

Astor was not the first woman elected to the House of Commons. The Sinn Féin candidate Countess Markievicz who stood for a Dublin constituency was elected in 1918. Astor was the first woman to take her seat in the HoC.

Great idea for a thread. 

Edited by Ozymandias
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, DodgyDaoist said:
Tuesday, November 28, 1899

Anglo-Boer War 2: The Battle of Modder River or Tweerivieren takes place, in which both Gen. Methuen and Gen. De la Rey are wounded. Gen. De la Rey's son, Adriaan, is fatally wounded.

Saturday, November 28, 1885

The railway line from Cape Town is completed up to Kimberley.

Tuesday, November 28, 1961

The United Nations' General Assembly adopts an eight nation resolution, by seventy-two votes to two, with twenty-seven abstentions, calling on all member states to take such separate and collective action, as is open to them to bring about the abandonment of South Africa's racial policies. It did not specifically call for sanctions.

Wednesday, November 28, 1973

An Arab oil embargo against South Africa brings the prospects of rationing and the extension of conservation measures.

Thursday, November 28, 1985

Two strategic oil-from-coal plants based in Secunda are attacked by saboteurs.

Saturday, November 28, 1987

159 passengers and crew die when the Helderberg, en route from Taipei to Johannesburg, crashes at approximately seven minutes past midnight into the Indian Ocean 160 km from Mauritius.

Saturday, November 28, 1992

Four White South Africans are killed and seventeen injured when armed APLA guerrillas  storm into a golf club in King William's Town.

Saturday, November 28, 1998

The SA rugby team beats Ireland 27-13 in Dublin.

Sunday, November 28, 1999

At least forty-six people are injured when a pipe bomb explodes in the packed St Elmo restaurant in Camps Bay, Cape Town.

https://www.sahistory.org.za/

Is everyday as eventful in South Africa? I'll overlook the rugbyball result because I dislike rugbyball. 

I'll show my wife, all that stuff. She's South African.

Edited by danydandan
  • Like 2

25 minutes ago, danydandan said:

Is everyday as eventful I'm South Africa? I'll overlook the rugbyball result because I dislike rugbyball. 

I'll show my wife, all that stuff. She's South African.

:D

You would be surprised , nothing is predictable here. Its both exciting and troublesome. Politics sucks, crime sucks, economy sucks, but hey life goes on and we do what we do, change what we can and ignore what we cant change.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

57 minutes ago, DodgyDaoist said:

:D

You would be surprised , nothing is predictable here. Its both exciting and troublesome. Politics sucks, crime sucks, economy sucks, but hey life goes on and we do what we do, change what we can and ignore what we cant change.

I always take the p*** out of her when she's counting all the way up to eleventy hundred.

• Haha 2

25 minutes ago, danydandan said:

I always take the p*** out of her when she's counting all the way up to eleventy hundred.

:lol: :D brilliant

• Thanks 1

here's something fun, and fitting in with current events

1964 – Mariner program: NASA launches the Mariner 4 probe toward Mars.

history: sometimes not horrible!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, seaturtlehorsesnake said:

19 60 blinkin' 4, and we're still celebrating managing to land some piddling little probe on the Red Planet without it going wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee- oops :blush:"? We were supposed to have colinised the bloody place a good thirty years ago! Come on Elon bloody Musk, get your finger out! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, seaturtlehorsesnake said:

Did that happen in the 28th of November? 

We still go ape about a probe, silly humans.

Edited by danydandan
  • Like 1

landing a space ship on another planet will always be amazing to me, get outta here cynics.

nah, it's ok, you can stay.

but elon musk has to leave

• Haha 1

I looked for this day in history for my state (Oklahoma) but nothing happened today - Yesterday however (1868), the Battle of the Washita was fought between the US 7th Cavalry (General Custer) and the Cheyenne - not our finest moment...

In General US history however...

1729 Natchez Indians massacre most of the 300 French settlers and soldiers at Fort Rosalie, Louisiana.

1861 The Confederate Congress admits Missouri to the Confederacy, although Missouri has not yet seceded from the Union.

1872 The Modoc War of 1872-73 begins in northern California when fighting breaks out between Modoc Chief Captain Jack and a cavalry detail led by Captain James Jackson.

1925 The forerunner of the Grand Ole Opry, called the WSM Barn Dance, opens in Nashville, Tennessee.

1948 Dr. Edwin Land's first Polaroid cameras go on sale in Boston.

1961 Ernie Davis becomes the first African American to win the Heisman Trophy (American College football).

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

7 hours ago, danydandan said:

Last Astor was a horrible human being, a racist, anti-Semitic and very anti-catholic.

The 8th army loved Lady Astor.

• Like 1

1740, 29th of November. A clergyman is hung St Stephens Green. The Couple Begger he is known as, his real name is Edward Sewell, his crime was to wed Protestants and Catholics. As part of the English attempts to de-Catholicise Ireland it was a capital offense to be apart of or preform an intermarriage ceremony. 

Granted he admitted he would not have married then if he knew one if the couple wasn't Protestant. But eh he was hung anyways.

Also on this day C.W Lewis was born in Belfast. So he's Irish.

• Like 2

414 years ago today on 29th November, 1604, Richard Boyle, a relatively obscure government lawyer involved in the confiscation and regranting of Irish lands, is himself the recipient of a royal grant of hundreds of thousands of acres in eight counties of Ireland by James I.  Boyle had landed in Ireland in the 1590s with just a gold bracelet and £27 to his name.

He would go on to be created the 1st (or Great) Earl of Cork and became the single largest landowner in Ireland when he died in his seventies in 1643. He was father of the scientist Robert Boyle - of Boyle's Law fame - and of Roger Boyle, a career soldier who wrote a seminal work on the science of war entitled A Treatise of the Art of War (1677). Roger later became the 1st Earl of Orrery, taking the title from his Irish lands, a name which would later attach to a clockwork instrument for modelling the motions our solar system.

The wealth and prestige of this family entirely derived from that grant of land to Richard Boyle this day in 1604.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

That's way more interesting than my one. 

The Abbasid Caliphate captured the Qarmatian leadership in the Battle of Hama in Syria, opening the way for the reconquest of Tulunid Egypt.

(903 this was)

:yes: 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

US:

• 1947 - The U.N. General Assembly passed a resolution that called for the division of Palestine between Arabs and Jews.
  • 1961 - The Mercury-Atlas 5 spacecraft was launched by the U.S. with Enos the chimp on board. The craft orbited the earth twice before landing off Puerto Rico.
  • 1963 - U.S. President Johnson named a commission headed by Earl Warren to investigate the assassination of President Kennedy.
  • 1967 - U.S. Secretary of Defense Robert S. McNamara announced that he was leaving the Johnson administration to become president of the World Bank.
  • 1975 - Bill Gates adopted the name Microsoft for the company he and Paul Allen had formed to write the BASIC computer language for the Altair.
  • 1981 - Actress Natalie Wood drowned in a boating accident off Santa Catalina Island, CA, at the age 43.
  • 1982 - The U.N. General Assembly voted that the Soviet Union should withdraw its troops from Afghanistan.
  • 1990 - The U.N. Security Council voted to authorize military action if Iraq did not withdraw its troops from Kuwait and release all foreign hostages by January 15, 1991.

Edited by The Wistman
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

30th, November. Today in Irish history.

Sad and Good.

Jonathan Swift was born, Oscar Wilde died, so too did Patrick Kavanagh.

Perhaps the most significant thing to happen was Bill Clinton's visit to Northern Ireland. Making him the first sitting United States President to do so. This would obviously have a significant impact on peace talks, which will eventually lead to the Good Friday Agreement.

Edited by danydandan
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, danydandan said:

30th, November. Today in Irish history.

Sad and Good.

Jonathan Swift was born, Oscar Wilde died, so too did Patrick Kavanagh.

Perhaps the most significant thing to happen was Bill Clinton's visit to Northern Ireland. Making him the first sitting United States President to do so. This would obviously have a significant impact on peace talks, which will eventually lead to the Good Friday Agreement.

Ah.  I visited his grave site in Pere Lachaise cemetary and laid a rose there. 

US:

• 1782 - The US and Britain signed preliminary peace articles in Paris, ending the Revolutionary War.
  • 1803 - Spain completed the process of ceding Louisiana to France.
  • 1804 - US  Supreme Court Justice Samuel Chase went on trial accused of political bias. He was later acquitted by the US Senate.
  • 1897 - Thomas Edison's own motion picture projector had its first commercial exhibition.
  • 1956 - CBS replayed the program "Douglas Edward and the News" three hours after it was received on the West Coast. It was the world's first broadcast via videotape.
  • 1981 - The US and the Soviet Union opened negotiations in Geneva that were aimed at reducing nuclear weapons in Europe.
  • 1986 - Time magazine published an interview with US President Reagan In the article, Reagan described fired national security staffer Oliver North as a "national hero."
  • 1989 - PLO leader Yasser Arafat was refused a visa to enter the US in order to address the U.N. General Assembly in New York City.
  • 1995 - President Clinton became the first US chief executive to visit Northern Ireland.  [ we share the history with the Irish!! ]
Edited by The Wistman
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1st, December. Today in Irish history.

Poynings Law was enacted, this forbids the Irish parliament to convene without the King's prior permission, and all intended legislation has to be approved by him. 

The paddle steamer The Londonderry, with immigrants fleeing the famine, takes shelter in Derry harbour. When the covers are removed from the hold it is discovered that 72 men, women and children have suffocated.

Edited by danydandan
  • Like 2

63 years ago today* on 1st December 1955 Rosa Parks quite rightly refused to give up her seat to a white man on a bus in Montgomery, Alabama. I think everyone knows where that led. 'I have a dream ...'. Any white man who would take a seat off a woman is white trash.

*Rabidmongoose, Hetrodoxly and Stevewinn take particular note, the difference in years between 2018 and 1955 is 63 years, not 64.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1