Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Still Waters

China employees fined for not walking enough

21 posts in this topic

Still Waters

A company in China has come under fire for fining employees if they don't walk at least 180,000 steps a month, it's reported.

According to Information Times, employees at an unnamed real estate firm in the southern city of Guangzhou have been fined 0.01 yuan (0.1 cents; 0.1 pence) for every step that they fail to make when trying to reach their target.

One employee, 'Little C', told the paper that frequent overtime made it difficult for staff to walk at least 6,000 steps a day outside of work hours.

"I understand that the company wants to encourage us to get more exercise," she said, "but I don't even have enough time to sleep because I need to take walks to meet the target."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-news-from-elsewhere-46388447

• Haha 2
  • Sad 2

third_eye

If you can make it in ShaoLin , you can make it anywhere ...

~

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

aztek

i assume  company tracks steps using a device similar to fitbit, or they use an app for phones,  well, easy solution, give your fitbit or a phone to someone who is going for a walk or to a gym,  while you sleep at home.

• Like 1

and then
1 hour ago, aztek said:

i assume  company tracks steps using a device similar to fitbit, or they use an app for phones,  well, easy solution, give your fitbit or a phone to someone who is going for a walk or to a gym,  while you sleep at home.

If the company is that hardcore, imagine what they'd do to people they caught "cheating".   All Hail the newest superpower on the block.

• Like 1

OverSword

I do 180k every two weeks, no prob.

OverSword
1 hour ago, aztek said:

Put it on the dogs collar and toss him the ball.  Or better yet put it on his tail. :tu:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

aztek
Just now, and then said:

If the company is that hardcore, imagine what they'd do to people they caught "cheating".   All Hail the newest superpower on the block.

well they will have to make sure they aren't caught.  but is the company really hardcore, or someone in HR, or equivalent, has a janitor syndrome?

Edited by aztek

OverSword

Some companies in the USA that self insure offer a discount on rates to employees that walk a certain amount.

third_eye
9 hours ago, OverSword said:

Some companies in the USA that self insure offer a discount on rates to employees that walk a certain amount.

THat's the nub of the knobs there, that little Faustian scribble over the dotted line, want Medical benefits ? This is what it means in the fine print ...

~

• Like 2

OverSword
57 minutes ago, third_eye said:

THat's the nub of the knobs there, that little Faustian scribble over the dotted line, want Medical benefits ? This is what it means in the fine print ...

~

Yeah, my company offers discounts and rebates and such on our insurance for certain wellness activities including clocking 10k steps a day on a Fitbit. So not doing it is effectively a punishment just like this. Our credit score system is not so different than the Chinese social score either in many ways 

• Like 2

third_eye
54 minutes ago, OverSword said:

Yeah, my company offers discounts and rebates and such on our insurance for certain wellness activities including clocking 10k steps a day on a Fitbit. So not doing it is effectively a punishment just like this. Our credit score system is not so different than the Chinese social score either in many ways 

Its more what the insurers sets into the contractual coverage than what the companies cooks up over the employees, I doubt any company has the time to stick their noses into this kind of subtleties , its just not worth the headaches with things going the way there are now. Its hard enough getting good employees and its getting harder to afford loyalty. Its just hiring and firing every few years nowadays just to keep the salaries from crashing into the overheads and keeping afloat over the red bottom lines.

~

OverSword
48 minutes ago, third_eye said:

Its more what the insurers sets into the contractual coverage than what the companies cooks up over the employees, I doubt any company has the time to stick their noses into this kind of subtleties , its just not worth the headaches with things going the way there are now. Its hard enough getting good employees and its getting harder to afford loyalty. Its just hiring and firing every few years nowadays just to keep the salaries from crashing into the overheads and keeping afloat over the red bottom lines.

~

Actually there are many creative ways for companies to get lower rates for employees and better or more options. For example where I work there is a choice between a plan with low rates with a high deductible which is perfect for someone like me as I rarely utilize my insurance or there is another plan with higher rates and less deductible better for families. My company also has more options by being self insured where the corporation takes the risk instead of the insurance company paying claims themselves in exchange for lower rates and the insurance company is just an administrative partner.  

• Like 1

third_eye
3 hours ago, OverSword said:

Actually there are many creative ways for companies to get lower rates for employees and better or more options. For example where I work there is a choice between a plan with low rates with a high deductible which is perfect for someone like me as I rarely utilize my insurance or there is another plan with higher rates and less deductible better for families. My company also has more options by being self insured where the corporation takes the risk instead of the insurance company paying claims themselves in exchange for lower rates and the insurance company is just an administrative partner.  

I understand all that, thing is not a lot of Companies has that capacity to persuade the insurance Corporations for flexible policies which is much more suited to the wants of the employees being covered ,,, fact of the matter is, insurance companies aren't really that interested in anybody's problems, in fact, everybody's problem is the least of their concerns. The are just interested in statistics and numbers. That's why non smoking areas have grown so much and are almost City Wide in many cities

~

OverSword
6 hours ago, third_eye said:

I understand all that, thing is not a lot of Companies has that capacity to persuade the insurance Corporations for flexible policies which is much more suited to the wants of the employees being covered ,,, fact of the matter is, insurance companies aren't really that interested in anybody's problems, in fact, everybody's problem is the least of their concerns. The are just interested in statistics and numbers. That's why non smoking areas have grown so much and are almost City Wide in many cities

~

I just happen to be a licensed Life and Health insurance agent and believe me, over the years I've worked many hours with insurers helping people in bad situations extract the maximum benefits out of the coverage purchased through their employers, including getting exceptions on pre-existing conditions (before the Affordable Care Act), discounts on non formulary drugs (drugs not covered by the plan) and once a business owner who flew his father up from Peru and hired him the same day then went in for heart surgery the next day.  Employees were not supposed to be eligible for enrollment for 90 days (that's the employers option not the insurers) and after the surgery he went right back to Peru, never working for the company at all.  A clearer case of insurance fraud there never was.  But working with the insurance company (who knew exactly what was going on) we got it all covered and no charges were ever filed.  The carrier elected not to renew his coverage the following year but at least his dad was alive and it cost him practically nothing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

third_eye
19 minutes ago, OverSword said:

I just happen to be a licensed Life and Health insurance agent and believe me, over the years I've worked many hours with insurers helping people in bad situations extract the maximum benefits out of the coverage purchased through their employers, including getting exceptions on pre-existing conditions (before the Affordable Care Act), discounts on non formulary drugs (drugs not covered by the plan) and once a business owner who flew his father up from Peru and hired him the same day then went in for heart surgery the next day.  Employees were not supposed to be eligible for enrollment for 90 days (that's the employers option not the insurers) and after the surgery he went right back to Peru, never working for the company at all.  A clearer case of insurance fraud there never was.  But working with the insurance company (who knew exactly what was going on) we got it all covered and no charges were ever filed.  The carrier elected not to renew his coverage the following year but at least his dad was alive and it cost him practically nothing.

Where do I sign ?

:yes:

~

Maybe its my bad luck or something about the insurance agents that I've had the unpleasant experience to encounter, I would love to meet one like you

~

• Like 1

OverSword
9 minutes ago, third_eye said:

Where do I sign ?

:yes:

~

Maybe its my bad luck or something about the insurance agents that I've had the unpleasant experience to encounter, I would love to meet one like you

~

We all have our days when we don't want to be helpful too, but it's our job to represent our clients to the best of our ability, and not to represent the insurance company.

• Like 1

third_eye
Just now, OverSword said:

We all have our days when we don't want to be helpful too, but it's our job to represent our clients to the best of our ability, and not to represent the insurance company.

I dunno, maybe things has changed since the last time I actually talked to anybody remotely connected to insurance companies, my sister deals with them. She knows if they start talking to me I'll most likely be turning some tables over their heads

:lol:

~

• Like 1

Impedancer

Get Vinne Jones after him and he will run like usama bolt.

Black Red Devil

Smart.  Counterbalance overtime payments by expecting employees to meet unrealistic targets and then fine them.  I wonder if they've already included the repaid fines in their annual budget. 

kartikg

This could all be a PR stunt. 

aztek

6000 steps a day is not realistic target??? yea if you are lazy or sick, i do over 6000 just walking to from cafe at work during launch brake.  you actually need to do  10000 steps a day if walking is your only daily physical activity.