Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

What martial arts do you practice?

Ares_Zeusson

I'm kinda mostly making this to ask for some suggestions as to what martial art to get into next.

I'm formally trained in Aikido & Hapkido and self taught in Weng Chun, Baguazhang & Piguazhang. If your familiar with these then you should kinda get the picture of what I'm aiming for.

I fight strictly open-handed & am very adamant about not striking with a clenched fist. I'm an adequate wrestler but would rather focus on learning to avoid going to the ground altogether (good luck submitting or choking out a dude while three of his friends are kicking you in the face).

Any suggestions for a tall lanky dude? I've been considering Pai Lum or Krav Maga but I would love to get some other opinions.

Sounds to me like you are not looking to practice martial arts but is looking for means to hurt people ... funnily enough though, all the styles you mentioned is not only too contrasting to each other but is also not practical for someone who is a tall, lanky dude ... might be a better idea if you go for volleyball or basketball

~

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Kid_Marx said:

would rather focus on learning to avoid going to the ground altogether

Taekwondo

download.jpg.e1ff8ce4c582b5838b9a0922af83947d.jpg

5 minutes ago, third_eye said:

Sounds to me like you are not looking to practice martial arts but is looking for means to hurt people

If I have to. It's not like I practice martial arts so I can go out & pick a fight for the sake of fighting. It's just for self defense.

15 minutes ago, third_eye said:

all the styles you mentioned is not only too contrasting to each other but is also not practical for someone who is a tall, lanky dude

Too contrasting? How's that? Anyway I learned Weng Chun, Baguazhang & Piguazhang from books & videos rather than a teacher so it's debatable that I even know them but what I do know has served me well enough so far.

24 minutes ago, third_eye said:

might be a better idea if you go for volleyball or basketball

LOL! What? Why?

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Kid_Marx said:

Any suggestions for a tall lanky dude? I've been considering Pai Lum or Krav Maga but I would love to get some other opinions.

May not be as fancy or fun as the others but if youre looking to expand your repertoire there is nothing more devastating in combat sports than a tall lanky dude with a dominant jab. Perhaps some time focused on the sweet science is what you need.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Kid_Marx said:

Too contrasting? How's that? Anyway I learned Weng Chun, Baguazhang & Piguazhang from books & videos rather than a teacher so it's debatable that I even know them but what I do know has served me well enough so far.

'So far' is the key word here, you don't want to be in a situation where someone in front of you treats you like you know what you are supposed to know but not knowing you only know what you knows is only from books and videos, you are going to get hurt really bad , that is if you survive

~

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, third_eye said:

'So far' is the key word here, you don't want to be in a situation where someone in front of you treats you like you know what you are supposed to know but not knowing you only know what you knows is only from books and videos, you are going to get hurt really bad , that is if you survive

~

I think you may be assuming I'm a teen or something. Don't let my username fool you, I'm in my 30's & been in my fair share of fights. I'm pretty confident in my abilities at this point & it's not as if I'll ever have to take on a Wudang master. If that ever happened I'm probably gonna get my butt kicked no matter what.

• Like 1

Just now, Kid_Marx said:

I think you may be assuming I'm a teen or something. Don't let my username fool you, I'm in my 30's & been in my fair share of fights. I'm pretty confident in my abilities at this point & it's not as if I'll ever have to take on a Wudang master. If that ever happened I'm probably gonna get my butt kicked no matter what.

Just so you know, I'm not belittling you no matter what your age is, all I'm saying in a bad situation it doesn't take a master to turn things badly on a bad day. Think of it like someone approaching you like they think you are armed and dangerous and not believing you are carrying any weapons, martial arts isn't all that popular any more because of the discipline required by the real schools where they teaches the real thing, I guess I won't be offending you if I say you lack the discipline for any sort of training in regards to the practice of martial arts.

~

51 minutes ago, third_eye said:

Just so you know, I'm not belittling you no matter what your age is, all I'm saying in a bad situation it doesn't take a master to turn things badly on a bad day.

True.

51 minutes ago, third_eye said:

I guess I won't be offending you if I say you lack the discipline for any sort of training in regards to the practice of martial arts.

No I'm not offended. I certainly couldn't cut it training in a monastery or eastern school to learn any sort of true kung fu in it's complete form. That's a life long endeavor right there.

Edited by Kid_Marx
typo
  • Like 1

Jackie Chan knows his Stunt work though, second to none ... Stunt Work or Needs Work

~

[00.04:31]

~

I practise eating jam doughnuts

I have been practicing Krav Maga for over little over 7 years now and i love it for its mix of many diffrent martial art systems like boxing, wrestling, which never makes it dull even akido exist in Krav Maga it is also an effective and useful system where you also practise against several attackers in realistic senarios and since  Krav Maga is not a sport there is no rules. The main thing in KM is to quickly solve the problem (the level of attack) and get away from the place. I think everyone should try KM :-) even though it feels somewhat strange and  akward to get to know people by trying to strangle them at practice ;-). KM is a self defense system nothing else.

Edited by Avalanche

6 hours ago, third_eye said:

Sounds to me like you are not looking to practice martial arts but is looking for means to hurt people ... funnily enough though, all the styles you mentioned is not only too contrasting to each other but is also not practical for someone who is a tall, lanky dude ... might be a better idea if you go for volleyball or basketball

~

Duh?  all systems can be dangerous in the wrong hands.

Just now, Avalanche said:

Duh?  all systems can be dangerous in the wrong hands.

The point is, dangerous to who ?

~

Get gun. Take from a guy practicing material arts his whole life. 

On 11/30/2018 at 10:41 AM, XenoFish said:

I come from the Jackie Chan school of martial arts.

I love you for saying that & hope your at least half serious.

"Hang on! I'm gonna try something I saw in a movie once"

27 minutes ago, Kid_Marx said:

In a real fight anything can become a weapon. 

25 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

In a real fight anything can become a weapon. 

For real & I'm not even joking. I think in a do or die situation with only seconds so spare your best bet is to just do whatever Jackie Chan would do. When low on options WWJD?

Edited by Kid_Marx

On 2018-11-30 at 6:52 PM, third_eye said:

~

Some pick up martial arts just to assult and beat the **** out of some random drunk just for fun. 

• Like 1

On 2018-12-02 at 3:23 AM, Kid_Marx said:

For real & I'm not even joking. I think in a do or die situation with only seconds so spare your best bet is to just do whatever Jackie Chan would do. When low on options WWJD?

Jackie chan is good with what we call common objects :-)

On 2018-12-02 at 2:31 AM, Kid_Marx said:

You know there is no defense against the "crane kick" ;-)

• Haha 1

47 minutes ago, Avalanche said:

Some pick up martial arts just to assult and beat the **** out of some random drunk just for fun. 

THat's my point ... whatever that is that was picked up in such a case, it sure ain't martial arts.

~

• Like 1

On 11/30/2018 at 11:52 AM, third_eye said:

~

On 12/3/2018 at 12:09 AM, Avalanche said:

Well.....There was one time my twin brother & I were drunk & fighting in the yard as usual & I did a downward ridge hand windmill thingy & just smashed his collar bone & permanently injured my thumb but that was over a decade ago & my brother is the only person on earth who's ever made me lose my temper & he's only 3 inches shorter than me but outweighs me by more than 60lbs so when I hit him I'm hitting him with a purpose because he will mess me up if I don't get him first.

Normally in any other altercation I'm not throwing any kinda strikes at all except for maybe a chicken wrist to the chin if it's feasible & viable. Never underestimate The Chicken Wrist!