Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Skepticism!

danydandan

2 minutes ago, Habitat said:

That quote you bolded, was a simple statement that anecdotal evidence has no value. Any scientist who agreed with that, would be a ding-dong ! After all, following up clues is the beginning of gathering knowledge.

"Anecdotal evidence is evidence from anecdotes, i.e., evidence collected in a casual or informal manner and relying heavily or entirely on personal testimony. When compared to other types of evidence, anecdotal evidence is generally regarded as limited in value due to a number of potential weaknesses, but may be considered within the scope of scientific method as some anecdotal evidence can be both empirical and verifiable, e.g. in the use of case studies in medicine. Other anecdotal evidence, however, does not qualify as scientific evidence, because its nature prevents it from being investigated by the scientific method."

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anecdotal_evidence

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

1 minute ago, psyche101 said:

Belligerent behaviour? 

You mean your personal interpretation of some unidentified knocks on the wall. Don't be shy, tell everyone what your irrefutable evidence that turns modern physics on its head is. 

Its just soooooo convincing after all.......  :rolleyes:

The only thing you need to be convinced of, is that you are an unscientific, fact-fudging guesser that has an agenda !

28 minutes ago, Sherapy said:

Probably part of his fantasy life. Disgusting. 

Yeah.  That's (one of the reasons) why I don't have a personal photo as my avatar.

I dislike being objectified. Especially when I'm not present. :lol:

Edited by Golden Duck
  • Haha 5

2 minutes ago, onlookerofmayhem said:

Other anecdotal evidence, however, does not qualify as scientific evidence, because its nature prevents it from being investigated by the scientific method."

But, but, but......does that mean the evidence isn't representative of something that is real ? Of course not, hence my earlier comments. "dismissal" is for those who guess, and may close the door to further investigation. 

16 minutes ago, Habitat said:

That quote you bolded, was a simple statement that anecdotal evidence has no value. Any scientist who agreed with that, would be a ding-dong ! After all, following up clues is the beginning of gathering knowledge.

I have a genuine reason for saying what I say in here... The belief in the supernatural has split my family!!!

My brother claims to have the power to contact the dead... My mum believed him because she was heavily into this kinda thing.

Because I questioned it I became the bad boy! This led to many problems family wise... My mum died last year thinking I'm an ignorant uncaring son (long & boring story)

if only I could have convinced her it was all BS before she passed!!?

So I have good reason imo for saying what I say...again, Out of respect= why are you here? What is the point you feel you're trying to put across? What is your good reason?.. A serious question

• Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

9 minutes ago, Habitat said:

But, but, but......does that mean the evidence isn't representative of something that is real ? Of course not, hence my earlier comments. "dismissal" is for those who guess, and may close the door to further investigation. 

You must be getting tired from moving those goalposts so many times.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Habitat said:

Who closes the door to an investigation?  Listening to the anecdotal evidence gives a clue on how to investigate.

• Like 2

Just now, onlookerofmayhem said:

You must be getting tired from moving those goalposts so many times.

You have to be more specific than that, the ghostly goal posts or the virtually undetectable ghost posts ?

~

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

14 minutes ago, Habitat said:

The only thing you need to be convinced of, is that you are an unscientific, fact-fudging guesser

Lots of words of hate there Hab. 

And you cannot support a single word you say!! 

:lol: :rofl:

All talk, no action!!! That's the Hab I've come to know! 

14 minutes ago, Habitat said:

that has an agenda !

I've already admitted to this! They entire world is out to get you remember? It's a part of that. 

Good thing your not paranoid :w00t:

17 minutes ago, Golden Duck said:

Yeah.  That's (one of the reasons) why a personal photo as my avatar.

I dislike being objectified. Especially when I'm not present. :lol:

Well you are adorable, lol. 

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Dejarma said:

Out of respect= why are you here?

Because it ain't BS, jarmy ! Otherwise, you'd never have heard from me. I can't speak to whatever split your family, but I do hope you can patch things up with your brother. A good start might be to just agree to disagree, about this contact the dead business, there is no point in trying to convince him, or he convince you. You can see how well it goes here !

12 minutes ago, Golden Duck said:

Who closes the door to an investigation?  Listening to the anecdotal evidence gives a clue on how to investigate.

Dismissal of anecdotal evidence, certainly can !

1 minute ago, Habitat said:

Because it ain't BS, jarmy ! Otherwise, you'd never have heard from me. I can't speak to whatever split your family, but I do hope you can patch things up with your brother. A good start might be to just agree to disagree, about this contact the dead business, there is no point in trying to convince him, or he convince you. You can see how well it goes here !

YOU STILL HAVE NOT ANSWERED THE QUESTION!!!!!! are you taking the p*** out of me!?? answer the Fing question

5 minutes ago, Dejarma said:

YOU STILL HAVE NOT ANSWERED THE QUESTION!!!!!! are you taking the p*** out of me!?? answer the Fing question

He can't. At least not with hard evidence and facts to back him up.

37 minutes ago, onlookerofmayhem said:

"Anecdotal evidence is evidence from anecdotes, i.e., evidence collected in a casual or informal manner and relying heavily or entirely on personal testimony. When compared to other types of evidence, anecdotal evidence is generally regarded as limited in value due to a number of potential weaknesses, but may be considered within the scope of scientific method as some anecdotal evidence can be both empirical and verifiable, e.g. in the use of case studies in medicine. Other anecdotal evidence, however, does not qualify as scientific evidence, because its nature prevents it from being investigated by the scientific method."

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anecdotal_evidence

do you at times feel you're conversing with children?

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Dejarma said:

As I say, I have strong reason for believing the "beyond" is real, and have outlined them in detail, I am not here to try and find a 'gotcha' in the Walker Chronicles !

Just now, Jodie.Lynne said:

any attempt will do for me, Jodie;)

Just now, Jodie.Lynne said:

And that wouldn't be the norm ? Strictly speaking, one is only fully justified in saying, "I don't know". Regardless of whether you consider you have had similar experience, or not.

• The topic was locked