Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
danydandan

Skepticism!

2,446 posts in this topic

Sherapy
2 hours ago, Arbenol said:

I invited him to visit me. After visiting Saturn and the 'planet of three-breasted amazons' (the greatest movie Roger Corman never made) I thought a quick astral trip over the ditch would be no problem.

Update on the astral travel, he has revised this claim to include it is part of his dream life.

Also update on the 3 breasted Amazon, nothing more than the fantasy archives of a pimply faced  pubescent teenage boy. Lol 

Edited by Sherapy
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 3

Habitat
17 minutes ago, ChrLzs said:

1. Do NOT speak as 'We'.  You most certainly do not speak for the majority here,, and usually such a claim indicates delusions of grandeur.

2. Yes, Unicorns are almost certainly fictitious, but only in as far as no evidence has yet been shown for their existence.  I know of many who will tell you that Unicorns are real.  Granted they mostly have a fairly low age/mental age, but that is not out of line with your anecdotes.... 

3. That's exactly the same as there being no evidence for (insert favorite paranormal claim here).   If you have good evidence, then post it.  It's a simple, perfectly reasonable and fair request.  I cannot show good evidence for Unicorns.  They do not / may as well not exist.  Just as you cannot provide evidence of .......  It too does not / may as well not exist.

4. Your 'case' would be laughed out of any court, even one full of kangaroos...   You don't have a 'crime', let alone a suspect, let alone evidence of anything.

You do have a touch of the theatrical about you Charlie ! My anecdotes are honest reportage of facts, if you can provide any reportage of unicorn sightings, I will be happy to study them !

Sherapy
41 minutes ago, third_eye said:

I am more pottery and fine China than kettle ... :D

Though I have been known to assume some qualities of crockery at times, mostly when humor is served along with wee lambs

~

Ha ha ha ha 

Turns out that the critic of your writing skills has the same issues he was critiquing you for.

Isn’t it  ironic. Lol 

Edited by Sherapy
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2

third_eye
Just now, Sherapy said:

It’s it ironic. Lol 

Irony is a lost art, as I had mentioned many a times before ... :yes:

~

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Sherapy
1 minute ago, Habitat said:

You do have a touch of the theatrical about you Charlie ! My anecdotes are honest reportage of facts, if you can provide any reportage of unicorn sightings, I will be happy to study them !

They are not facts, habit, they are personal interpretations of your conclusions  about experiences that you have had and what you conclude is what you have chosen to believe. 

You are driven by faith cognitively, anecdote is the equivalent of facts for you. 

It is not a bad thing, but is a tough sell on a skepticism board. Just saying. 

• Like 4

Sherapy
7 minutes ago, Sherapy said:

Ha ha ha ha 

Turns out that the critic of your writing skills has the same issues he was critiquing you for.

It’s it ironic. Lol 

4 minutes ago, third_eye said:

Irony is a lost art, as I had mentioned many a times before ... :yes:

~

So is satire, something you are adept at. Lol 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Dejarma
17 hours ago, Habitat said:

So you are waiting for the "killer" evidence to be produced, right here ?  The best you will get here, is anecdotal, if that you deem of no interest, then this will be like the Sahara Desert.

maybe everyone should just leave you & your like to waffle on without interruption= is this what you would like?

• Like 1

Habitat

They are not facts, habit, they are personal interpretations of your conclusions  about experiences that you have had and what you conclude is what you have chosen to believe. 

You are driven by faith cognitively, anecdote is the equivalent of facts for you. 

It is not a bad thing, but is a tough sell on a skepticism board. Just saying. 

Nope, I am "driven" by repeated and careful observation, not "faith", that is your guess, and as they say, guessers are apt to guess wrong. If you see equivalency between unicorns, and reportage of ghosts and poltergeists, like Charlie appears to do, then I'm afraid you are operating from your own "faith", that being that such things don't exist ! A pity you guessed wrong, again, if that be the case.

Golden Duck
17 minutes ago, Habitat said:

There are actually reports of unicorns; ie, deer, goats, etc.  So we can hypothesize the existence of a genetic anomaly that causes only one horn or causes two horns to become entangled.

With ghosts the story is - I can see it or hear it; but, it can't be detected by scientific equipment that can see or hear better than me.

• Like 3

Sherapy
5 minutes ago, Habitat said:

Nope, I am "driven" by repeated and careful observation, not "faith", that is your guess, and as they say, guessers are apt to guess wrong. If you see equivalency between unicorns, and reportage of ghosts and poltergeists, like Charlie appears to do, then I'm afraid you are operating from your own "faith", that being that such things don't exist ! A pity you guessed wrong, again, if that be the case.

Those rooted in reality base their conclusions on facts. 

There has been no evidence brought forth for ghosts, to even conclude about. 

At this time, I say I don’t know. 

• Like 2

Habitat
7 minutes ago, Golden Duck said:

There are actually reports of unicorns; ie, deer, goats, etc.  So we can hypothesize the existence of a genetic anomaly that causes only one horn or causes two horns to become entangled.

With ghosts the story is - I can see it or hear it; but, it can't be detected by scientific equipment that can see or hear better than me.

Oh, I think there are rather more reports of ghosts and poltergeist activity than unicorns, in recent history, if you have fallen into the assumption that ghosts and poltergeists can't be real because no researcher has "trapped" one, then join the ranks of the peanut gallery !

Sherapy
2 minutes ago, Habitat said:

Oh, I think there are rather more reports of ghosts and poltergeist activity than unicorns, in recent history, if you have fallen into the assumption that ghosts and poltergeists can't be real because no researcher has "trapped" one, then join the ranks of the peanut gallery !

Reports ‘of’ are ancedotal. 

Edited by Sherapy
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Habitat
Just now, Sherapy said:

I've seen the fact that  poltergeist activity is real, naturally I am not going to be swayed by those who tell me it isn't, the most I've ever attempted to sway anyone , is in the direction of where they should be anyway, that of "I DON"T KNOW". !

Habitat
1 minute ago, Sherapy said:

Reports ‘of’ are ancedotal. 

They sure are, but where are the unicorn anecdotes from say, the last 200 years ? If you think anecdotes don't count for ****, I am puzzled why you would be here !

Sherapy
Just now, Habitat said:

I've seen the fact that  poltergeist activity is real, naturally I am not going to be swayed by those who tell me it isn't, the most I've ever attempted to sway anyone , is in the direction of where they should be anyway, that of "I DON"T KNOW". !

You can’t evidence something isn’t until you evidence that it is. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Habitat

Good work ! I could not agree more.

Golden Duck
4 minutes ago, Habitat said:

They sure are, but where are the unicorn anecdotes from say, the last 200 years ? If you think anecdotes don't count for ****, I am puzzled why you would be here !

All it takes is just one!

https://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2014/11/141112-unicorn-deer-slovenia-antlers-science-animals/

• Like 3

Sherapy
3 minutes ago, Habitat said:

There are those that are driven by faith cognitively. 

Why are you puzzled that  I would be on a skepticism forum especially, if I am seeking to be rooted in reality? 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

third_eye

Soup, I say Unicorn deer soup. a pie would be a waste of some good unicorn antler ...

~

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Jodie.Lynne

OK, if unicorns aren't real, then explain this:

Canned-Unicorn-Meat.jpg

• Haha 5

eight bits

@Habitat

As much of the story as I've heard, what you've seen for a fact is that there was activity. Poltergeist (in common with ghost and unicorn) is a cultural concept you've picked up from those around you and which was formulated independently of any experience you've had. The only thing that links the fact of activity to the folklore of Poltergeist is that you can't think of anything else.

I like unicorns. A unicorn is what fractured whatever it was that fractured oddly. Patterns in debris? Unicorns love patterns. Unicorns love debris.

I have exactly as much evidence for unicorns did it as you have for a poltergeist did it. Unicorns are prettier. I win.

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 4

Jodie.Lynne
4 minutes ago, eight bits said:

Unicorns are prettier. I win.

And tastier! I think the sparkles add just the right amount of spice.

• Haha 5

Habitat

I don't think anyone claims ghosts and poltergeists are "fauna", but a unicorn does sound like a kind of animal, but if bigfoot and unicorns are extant fauna, I would be amazed.

psyche101
1 hour ago, Habitat said:

UNICORN SIGHTING IN SCOTLAND

Unicorn lair 'discovered' in North Korea

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

psyche101
9 minutes ago, Habitat said:

I don't think anyone claims ghosts and poltergeists are "fauna", but a unicorn does sound like a kind of animal, but if bigfoot and unicorns are extant fauna, I would be amazed.

If a Bigfoot was proven to exist, all descriptions would point at a branch of the genus homo, surviving neanderthal or other homo species thought to be extinct. As has been postulated about the story of Zana. 

Its not as wild as ghosts. 

What rules Bigfoot out is lack of evidence. Theoretically, it's not a huge leap for such a creature to exist, not like it is for the afterlife to exist. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1