Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Green fireball lights up the sky over Russia

UM-Bot

1 hour ago, Gecks said:

Is it just me or does Russia seem to have a knack for attracting meteors?

Hi; Dash cams seem very popular in russia...which would account for extra film footage of meteors..

• Like 1

Dash cams are not just popular but are required by insurance companies. A good reason many celestial events are caught by cameras.

1 hour ago, qxcontinuum said:

Dash cams are not just popular but are required by insurance companies. A good reason many celestial events are caught by cameras.

Yes, and I guess it also helps that Russia is the biggest country on Earth, and the bigger a country is the more likely it is that a random meteor coming towards Earth will come to that country.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Jon the frog said:

A copper rich meteor ?

More likely nickel:

The dominant composition of a meteoroid can play an important part in the observed colors of a fireball, with certain elements displaying signature colors when vaporized. For example, sodium produces a bright yellow color, nickel shows as green, and magnesium as blue-white.

Source: The American Meteor Society

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Waspie_Dwarf said:

More likely nickel:

Source: The American Meteor Society

Thx didn't know that nickel was burning green too, like copper. It's why I use ''?'' because normally you don't have a lot of copper in it... was thinking that nickel was burning silver-white because it does in flame test...

Edited by Jon the frog