Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

A new christianity for a new world

Only_

This thread is about how Christianity can transform our lives in these modern times. How a progressive, non-literal interpretation of Biblical texts can offer much hope and makes much sense.  I will frequently post new content and update it. Skeptics, atheists, agostics ect. are welcome to discuss and debate any time.

Thought all pastors were boring?

Bishop Shelby Spong:

Marcus Borg:

Richard Rhor:

Edited by Clockwork_Spirit
  • Thanks 1

Should really be the beliefs section. 

What do you want us to discuss clockwork?

Edited by danydandan
  • Like 6

A video wall is so much less a waste of time than a wall of text.

Thank you, preacher Clockwork.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 5

I don't know. People can believe whatever the hell they want. So long as no one gets harmed by it and they don't become an arrogant d-bag because of it. 

Edited by XenoFish
My brains deep fried today
  • Like 9

10 hours ago, XenoFish said:

Is this preaching?

Not really different than Merry Dmas' thread. If I am preaching, then so he must be too.

The content I present is up for discussion and debate. 

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, XenoFish said:

I don't know. People can believe whatever the hell they want. So long as no one gets harmed by it and they don't become an arrogant d-bag because of it. 

:lol:

Holy cr** dude, thats pretty.. lets use 'funny', coming from you.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Phaeton80 said:

:lol:

Holy cr** dude, thats pretty.. lets use 'funny', coming from you.

I'm not forcing religion down anyone's throat, nor am I defending some faith. Plus it's funny that you're just now reading that when I've been saying it for over a year now. People can have whatever spiritual/religious beliefs they desire so long as they keep it between them and their god, they bring no mental, physical, or emotional harm to others because of it. And if such beliefs do not encourage them to be a better people they should change them. 

So don't go blowing yourself up for God's sake. (Pun intended)

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, Clockwork_Spirit said:

Not really different than Merry Dmas' thread. If I am preaching, then so he must be too.

The content I present is up for discussion and debate. 

What exactly do you want to discuss?

• Like 3

Prison can change your life too.

• Haha 2

It doesn't matter what religion, or who is preaching it.  The whole idea that...there is a Power Higher than yourself is flat out BS.  The Mystery Man in the sky cannot change your life.  Only the thoughts in your head, creating desires for change can do that.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

30 minutes ago, joc said:

Only the thoughts in your head, creating desires for change can do that.

And that's because God is within all of us busy doing everthing possible to adjust our thoughts while honoring our sovereign free will to think whatever we like but perhaps shouldn't. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Will Due said:

And that's because God is within all of us busy doing everthing possible to adjust our thoughts while honoring our sovereign free will to think whatever we like but perhaps shouldn't. 

Image result for colin farrell disgust gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

1 hour ago, Imaginarynumber1 said:

Image result for colin farrell disgust gif

doing everthing possible to adjust our thoughts while honoring our sovereign free will

:lol::o:rolleyes:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, XenoFish said:

I'm not forcing religion down anyone's throat, nor am I defending some faith. Plus it's funny that you're just now reading that when I've been saying it for over a year now. People can have whatever spiritual/religious beliefs they desire so long as they keep it between them and their god, they bring no mental, physical, or emotional harm to others because of it. And if such beliefs do not encourage them to be a better people they should change them. 

So don't go blowing yourself up for God's sake. (Pun intended)

No, but you do grasp at any and every opportunity to blast religion and those who adhere to it, or see value in it.

I do appreciate the gist of your response though, including the pun.

3 hours ago, Will Due said:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT779avLoJr2z5I1Lz0AsD

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Phaeton80 said:

No, but you do grasp at any and every opportunity to blast religion and those who adhere to it, or see value in it.

I do appreciate the gist of your response though, including the pun.

Why shouldn't I detest religion and not all adherents are toxic. Some of them however are blinded by their own beliefs. They go straight into fortune cookie talk. I'm personally fine with the faithful, I hate the fanatics.

• Like 3

18 hours ago, danydandan said:

What exactly do you want to discuss?

Everything from Christianity, the Bible, skepticism, agnsoticism ect.

But here on the Christian side, I will defend a progressive viewpoint and post content that supports it.

17 hours ago, joc said:

The whole idea that...there is a Power Higher than yourself is flat out BS.  The Mystery Man in the sky cannot change your life.  Only the thoughts in your head, creating desires for change can do that.

The truth shall set you free, not your dogma.

4 minutes ago, Clockwork_Spirit said:

Everything from Christianity, the Bible, skepticism, agnsoticism ect.

But here on the Christian side, I will defend a progressive viewpoint and post content that supports it.

There is nothing progressive about a belief structured around a set of doctrine that's 2000 years old. Humanity has grown, cultural values have changed and our knowledge has increased dramatically. 

You can't be progressive and stuck in the past.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

17 minutes ago, danydandan said:

There is nothing progressive about a belief structured around a set of doctrine that's 2000 years old. Humanity has grown, cultural values have changed and our knowledge has increased dramatically. 

You can't be progressive and stuck in the past.

It is progressive. Because at the heart of these movements, there is a desire to articulate a way of being Christian that is an alternative to the Christian faith portrayed in the public realm. The leaders of Progressive Christianity had grown weary of defining their Christian faith in negative terms: “We aren’t fundamentalists. We don’t believe the Bible is the inerrant or infallible word of God. We don’t agree that Creationism should replace the science of evolution in public schools. We don’t believe that God hates gays. We don’t believe that people of other faiths are going to hell unless they convert to Christianity. We don’t deny the right of women to choose what happens to their bodies.”

7 minutes ago, Clockwork_Spirit said:

It is progressive. Because at the heart of these movements, there is a desire to articulate a way of being Christian that is an alternative to the Christian faith portrayed in the public realm. The leaders of Progressive Christianity had grown weary of defining their Christian faith in negative terms: “We aren’t fundamentalists. We don’t believe the Bible is the inerrant or infallible word of God. We don’t agree that Creationism should replace the science of evolution in public schools. We don’t believe that God hates gays. We don’t believe that people of other faiths are going to hell unless they convert to Christianity. We don’t deny the right of women to choose what happens to their bodies.”

Then what exactly is the point in having doctrine? Are you saying all stories in the Gospels are fable's? 

What your describing isn't Christianity.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Clockwork_Spirit said:

Great, I like these doctrines more than their alternatives and agree that progressive Christianity exists.  What point would you like to discuss concerning it?  If you just want people to go fishing for possible topics then is any of the Bible the inerrant word of God to progressives? 

• Like 3