Jump to content
Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
UM-Bot

Ancient tools discovery could rewrite history

10 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

 
Carlos Allende

At last, the Chemical Brothers can add more specific lyrics to 'It Began in Africa'.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
fred_mc

Interesting that northern Africa is getting a more prominent role in the history of humankind. It used to be believed that also our own species, homo sapiens, originated in eastern Africa, about 200.000 years ago, until pretty recently, about 300.000 year old skulls of homo sapiens were found in northern Africa.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
qxcontinuum

There was a separate evolution that happened in Africa and euro asia.Since 2010, there has been growing evidence for admixture between Neanderthals and anatomically modern humans . This admixture is reflected in the genomes of modern European and Asian populations, but not in the genomes of most sub-Saharan Africans. This suggests that interbreeding between Neanderthals and anatomically modern humans took place after the recent migration.

Edited by qxcontinuum

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jenn8779
15 hours ago, qxcontinuum said:

There was a separate evolution that happened in Africa and euro asia.Since 2010, there has been growing evidence for admixture between Neanderthals and anatomically modern humans . This admixture is reflected in the genomes of modern European and Asian populations, but not in the genomes of most sub-Saharan Africans. This suggests that interbreeding between Neanderthals and anatomically modern humans took place after the recent migration.

Not sure I'm buying into that one....

@Piney.... your take on this one?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Razumov

http://science.sciencemag.org/content/early/2018/11/28/science.aau0008

East Africa has provided the earliest known evidence for Oldowan stone artifacts and hominin induced stone tool cutmarks dated to ~2.6 million years ago (Ma). The ~1.8 Ma stone artifacts from Ain Hanech (Algeria) were considered to represent the oldest archaeological materials in North Africa. Here we report older stone artifacts and cutmarked bones excavated from two nearby deposits at Ain Boucherit estimated to ~ 1.9 Ma, and the older to ~2.4 Ma. Hence, the Ain Boucherit evidence shows that ancestral hominins inhabited the Mediterranean fringe in Northern Africa much earlier than previously thought. The evidence strongly argues for early dispersal of stone tool manufacture and use from East Africa, or a possible multiple origin scenario of stone technology in both East and North Africa.

The earliest archaeological evidence for the Oldowan and associated fossil bones with evidence of butchery is within the 2.6-1.9 Ma time interval, primarily from East Africa (1–7). Most paleoanthropologists believe that early hominins dispersed into Northern Africa much later (8). Continued research at Ain Hanech and El Kherba (Algeria) over the past two decades has expanded the geographic range and pushed back the evidence for hominin stone tool use and carnivory to ~1.8 Ma (9–11). We recently explored the nearby deposits at Ain Boucherit (Algeria) and report evidence of Oldowan stone tools and associated hominin-modified fossil bones from two distinct strata estimated to ~2.4 and ~1.9 Ma, respectively.

F3.large.jpg

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Piney
7 hours ago, Jenn8779 said:

Not sure I'm buying into that one....

@Piney.... your take on this one?

Yup, you have Neanderthal genes. I have Neanderthal, Denisovan, and quite possibly Asian Homo Erectus genes. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jon the frog
On 12/2/2018 at 11:19 PM, Piney said:

Yup, you have Neanderthal genes. I have Neanderthal, Denisovan, and quite possibly Asian Homo Erectus genes. 

Yep, Lots of Homo species were probably the same species... talked to an anthropologist and he said that some classified homo species had lesser skull differences than between Asian, Caucasian and African skulls....so some were probably the same species taken in different period or just phenotype differences. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Piney
42 minutes ago, Jon the frog said:

Yep, Lots of Homo species were probably the same species... talked to an anthropologist and he said that some classified homo species had lesser skull differences than between Asian, Caucasian and African skulls....so some were probably the same species taken in different period or just phenotype differences. 

They never determined which homonid gave us our layer of  yellow oily fat not found among Europeans. My opinion is that it came from Asian Homo-erectus , like our shovel incisors, which are also missing among Europeans. 

@third_eye  is so old he use to eat fermented berries with Java Man so he would know. :yes:

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
third_eye
3 minutes ago, Piney said:

@third_eye  is so old he use to eat fermented berries with Java Man so he would know. :yes:

Actually ... I have no idea, I tend to leave that sort of thing to the women folk and very few I know tends to kiss and tell ...

~

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.