Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

How to alter consciousness without "tools"?

Relam

Post here your techniques how you enter altered state of consciouness if you have?

For me it mostly happen spontanious and i can't control it how i wan't. And it's without tools i never used any of these stuff.

Edited by Relam

Quiet the mind to silence.

• Like 2

I have heard meditating helps, it might not put you in a heightened mood immediately but will help you in the long run. Personally I was never able to do it as my mind just races. 

• Like 1

Walk with a dog.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Yeah @kartikgthats how it happens for me but not every time, as i said sometimes spontaneously. It looks like dream state

Edited by Relam
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Relam said:

----REMOVED CONTENT---

*snip* You asked for things that would alter consciousness. Sleep does that.

https://courses.lumenlearning.com/wsu-sandbox/chapter/stages-of-sleep/

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/what-is-the-function-of-t-1997-12-22/

main-qimg-114f129322b8b552272389b1ce0c23

Edited by Daughter of the Nine Moons
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

• The topic was locked

There is too much hostility in this thread. Let's keep the comments civil please.

• Like 1

• The topic was unlocked

The swearing and insult only came from one person, the op. 

A link was put up by Xeno explaining the mind and  brain activities, why has  that been removed?  

Can we put up scientific research results and explanations or should we only stick to religion and beliefs as this is the section this is under? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

A more fitting place for this would probably be in the psychology section instead of spirituality. As we really have no spiritual aspect to discuss. So it's more or less a discussion about the different levels of consciousness and how to obtain them. 

Edited by XenoFish
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

22 minutes ago, freetoroam said:

A link was put up by Xeno explaining the mind and  brain activities, why has  that been removed?  

It was removed as part of the large number of posts removed. It has been partially restored

• Thanks 2

Hey!  What happened to the meat in this sandwich?  All that's left is a couple of slices of bread.  Not complaining though. Maybe its safer that way. 

• Like 2

Why do you want to alter your consciousness? And to what alteration?

• Like 1

The mind is a self conscious and self controlled /controlling entity 

Thus, through  study, practice, skill and time, you can shape the content of your mind to think in any way you wish

Most people only learn and use one or two ways of thinking, but there are others available.

You can split your mind into several parts and debate a problem  using different forms of thinking. 

You can use controlled lucid dreaming to problem solve or learn a real life skill.

You can access your subconscious, come to understand its symbolic language and how to control it consciously.

You can learn to be awke and asleep at the same time, by splitting your mind so that you maintain a dream in one part of your mind, while going to the toilet and making  yourself a cup of hot chocolate with another part.   

https://www.psychologytoday.com/au/blog/focus-forgiveness/201307/conscious-the-unconscious

https://neuwritesd.org/2018/02/22/conscious-in-dreamland-the-neuroscience-of-lucid-dreaming/

Edited by Mr Walker
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

My understanding of the subconscious mind is that it's the boss, the conscious mind mainly goes along for the ride. 

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, StarMountainKid said:

My understanding of the subconscious mind is that it's the boss, the conscious mind mainly goes along for the ride. 

Only If you let it :) 

I decided as a child that i was always going to be in conscious control of my mind and body, and that  required gaining knowledge understanding and control over the subconscious part of my mind.

The subconscious thinks in a different form of language (symbolic ) to the conscious mind,  and reacts and responds  faster than language based consciousness, but once you recognise it you can control and organise it using you conscious mind.

For example you can construct and create the dreams you want to have, every night.   

• Like 3

Perhaps conscious/subconscious terms are too limiting in their accepted meanings. Perhaps the mind is more complex than these two elements. 

For instance, when we think in words or speak, the conscious mind does not parse every sentence before it is expressed. We usually think and speak automatically without the conscious mind involved. 

What element of mind is doing the thinking and speaking? 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, StarMountainKid said:

The head is still the superconscious and the subconscious is our present and past evolution.

3 hours ago, StarMountainKid said:

Actually, the mind is divided into three parts: the thinking mind, the dynamic mind and the external mind. The first deals with ideas and the process of cognition, the second with the use of mental forces aimed at the realization of ideas, and the third with forms of expressing these ideas in life, not only using speech means but any possible ones.The mind, our mental component, the thinking apparatus, the intellect, which is neither the beginning nor the end, but only the incomplete light of the Infinite, is also not our “I”.

9 hours ago, StarMountainKid said:

Perhaps conscious/subconscious terms are too limiting in their accepted meanings. Perhaps the mind is more complex than these two elements. 

For instance, when we think in words or speak, the conscious mind does not parse every sentence before it is expressed. We usually think and speak automatically without the conscious mind involved. 

Good point good questions.

My own opinion is that we cannot speak without  involving the conscious part of the mind due to the complexity of speech and it being a learned skill.

However we also form inner speech in dreams, and sometimes speak the words out loud so it is not as simple as that Dreaming is not necessarily sub conscious as you can learn to dream consciously, just as if you were awake but knowing  you are dreaming.

What most people don't know is the incredible power and speed of the human brain as a processing and computating organ,  and thus of our mind.

It processes millions of bits of data a second  from the external and internal environments and acts on them.

A lot of this is autonomous because we  cannot form words that quickly but we can learn to be aware of,and take control of, the processes   

Ps ive never spoken without conscious thought.

I don't think it is possible.

It is just that we become so accustomed to it that we don't realise we are consciously forming words.

When you lose the facility for speech, say with,a stroke, you come to realise how much conscious effort and concentration goes into even simple speech constructs. The same is true to move a single finger  Unless you can form the command to move it, and transmit it to the finger, the finger will not move '

• Like 1

Let me add on this sub-topic, there is no thinker of thoughts, there are only thoughts. I know this is counter-intuitive to Western philosophy.

If there were a thinker of thoughts, the thinker would have to first think of what thought it wished to think. The thinker would have to think of a thought to think. You may see the problem in this. Who is this thinker, and how can he think of thoughts of thinking of thoughts? 

It is much simpler for thoughts to form without a thinker. Thought is just thought, and there is no need to invent a little man inside the brain sitting around thinking of thoughts to think. 

1 hour ago, StarMountainKid said:

Let me add on this sub-topic, there is no thinker of thoughts, there are only thoughts. I know this is counter-intuitive to Western philosophy.

If there were a thinker of thoughts, the thinker would have to first think of what thought it wished to think. The thinker would have to think of a thought to think. You may see the problem in this. Who is this thinker, and how can he think of thoughts of thinking of thoughts? 

It is much simpler for thoughts to form without a thinker. Thought is just thought, and there is no need to invent a little man inside the brain sitting around thinking of thoughts to think. 

I have to disagree.

The thinker (me) does indeed think of what it wants to think. It then constructs, shapes and forms, the thought; sometimes as words, sometimes as images, and sometimes as symbols. Our brain learns patterns of thoughts and becomes able to reproduce; first simple patterns, then more complex ones, on command, but we are often not aware of giving that command, it becomes so automatic. No little  man but a sense of one. It is actually our abilty to recognise, shape, choose and construct, language of the mind, which makes us human  Thought is organic and electro -chemical.

it cannot be produced, nor survive, without an organic or mechanical host  

See the source image

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Mr Walker said:

The thinker (me) does indeed think of what it wants to think.

Hi Walker

How much time do you think that you think about thinking about what to think about? Man,:lol: you crack me up:lol::lol:

7 hours ago, Mr Walker said:

It then constructs, shapes and forms, the thought; sometimes as words, sometimes as images, and sometimes as symbols. Our brain learns patterns of thoughts and becomes able to reproduce; first simple patterns, then more complex ones, on command, but we are often not aware of giving that command, it becomes so automatic. No little  man but a sense of one. It is actually our abilty to recognise, shape, choose and construct, language of the mind, which makes us human 

I wonder if subconscious recognition of a pattern or, movement, or sequence that triggers certain conscious observations. When I am walking down the street I could or could not be thinking about anything, not even my environment but am aware of it on another level. Something on a subliminal level kicks my reaction into gear before a conscious thought as to how or what to do I just do. Based on years of rigorous personal adventures and work environments research on environmental reaction and reflex I concluded that yup I made and it works,:lol:

jmccr8