Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Gays not welcome in Priesthood, says Pope

Eldorado

“The question of homosexuality is a very serious one,” he said, adding that those entrusted with training men to be priests must be certain that candidates are “humanly and emotionally mature” before they can be ordained.

This also applied to women who wanted to enter female religious communities to become nuns. In the Catholic Church, priests, nuns and monks all take vows of celibacy.

The Church teaches that homosexual tendencies are not sinful in themselves, but homosexual acts are.

Francis said there was “no room for this” in the lives of priests and nuns, adding that the Church had to be “demanding” in choosing candidates for what is known as the consecrated life.

“For this reason, the Church urges that persons with this rooted tendency not be accepted into (priestly) ministry or consecrated life,” he said.

He urged homosexuals who are already priests or nuns to be celibate and responsible to avoid creating scandal. “It is better that they leave the priesthood or the consecrated life rather than live a double life,” he said.

Report: https://www.reuters.com/article/us-pope-homosexuals-book/be-celibate-or-leave-the-priesthood-pope-tells-gay-priests-idUSKBN1O10K7

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

"The kid is not my son ... "

Do you believe ?

~

James Hill, "Billie Jean" With His Imaginary Band - YouTube

[00.07:40]

~

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It seems all religions fear gays. If all the gods agree should we agree or disagree. 

• Like 1

Are backdoor shenanigans frowned upon throughout the Bible, or is it a case of those being either 'pro' or 'anti' pointing to verses that support their views?

Edited by acute
  • Haha 2

Don't ask don't tell ... what god doesn't know, god won't ever know ... or tell ...

~

31 minutes ago, acute said:

Are backdoor shenanigans frowned upon throughout the Bible, or is it a case of those being either 'pro' or 'anti' pointing to verses that support their views?

Its frowned upon in 5 places.

Well male homosexuality is, lesbianism and sleeping with your sister is allowed.

Edited by RabidMongoose

I'd say the actual issue here is not homosexuality per se, but pedophilia...which is not the same thing.  The pedophilia activities of priests, hetero as well as homo sexual, have been abetted and covered up by the Roman church.  The exposure of these circumstances has led to financial and social 'penance' for the church.  Violating a child or young person's innocence, possibly leading to permanent psychological harm, by way of the religious authority priests hold over their 'flock', is evil, to my way of thinking.

I'm not convinced ridding the priesthood of all priests with homosexual tendencies will stop the pedophilia.  Just the gender of the victims.  Nor does it address the fact that church officials abetted and schemed to cover it up....again, using their authority against the moral precepts of their calling, as well as the well-being of their parish membership.

• Thanks 2

I think they should do away with religion and just be done with it. No priest of any sort regardless of belief systems. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

9 hours ago, stevewinn said:

It seems all religions fear gays. If all the gods agree should we agree or disagree. 

If there a god... do you have any proof?

I honestly never understood the gay community being attracted to the the Church. It calls them abominations, historically has persecuted and killed them. Traditionally it just offers the gay community legalised hate speech. 

Isn't a gay person wanting to be a priest, or even bothering with religion taking the p***??? I don't understand it at all. Why would they wish to go where they are clearly not welcomed? 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

10 hours ago, psyche101 said:

I honestly never understood the gay community being attracted to the the Church. It calls them abominations, historically has persecuted and killed them. Traditionally it just offers the gay community legalised hate speech. 

Isn't a gay person wanting to be a priest, or even bothering with religion taking the p***??? I don't understand it at all. Why would they wish to go where they are clearly not welcomed? 

Maybe they think they can 'change' the religion as far as their stance on homosexuality.

And...becoming a Priest means a vow to celebasy... in which case..one's sexuality becomes a moot point...

And...people of all sexual preferences have different perceptions of God, Fairh, etc. Being gay doesn't change that.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, joc said:

Maybe they think they can 'change' the religion as far as their stance on homosexuality.

Even though the church said it accepts the gay community, announcements like this thread title show that's not really the case. 

5 hours ago, joc said:

And...becoming a Priest means a vow to celebasy... in which case..one's sexuality becomes a moot point...

It does, but could change at any given moment, Priestly celibacy is rooted in tradition, not Catholic dogma, so the pope could change it. 

5 hours ago, joc said:

And...people of all sexual preferences have different perceptions of God, Fairh, etc. Being gay doesn't change that.

Considering modern knowledge and the churches bad record with sexual abuse, I find it bewildering that anyone from the gay community would find comfort or belonging in the Church. It's a redundant ideology, maybe some people just want what they can't have? As I say, statements like this headline show that the church doesn't really accept the gay community, it's just a PC statement. It just seems a very pointless and empty exercise. Even somewhat masochistic to want to be where one is considered an abomination. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 03/12/2018 at 10:15 AM, stevewinn said:

Only one particular strand of religion. 

Progressive Christians have no absolutely no problem with gays, lesbians or queers. 

5bpkjb.jpg

11lmw40.jpg

102pa1t.jpg

2s6sig4.jpg

Edited by Clockwork_Spirit

On 12/3/2018 at 10:15 AM, stevewinn said:

It seems all religions fear gays. 

There's estimated to be over 4000 religions in existence today, not to mention the probable hundreds of thousands if not more that have existed in human history. I doubt that every single one of them "fear gays". 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Scudbuster said:

Yep, gays are a no-no, but these priests who do horrid things to kids, well, we make excuses for them:

https://abcnews.go.com/US/american-priest-facing-horrifying-sex-abuse-charges-time/story?id=59650494&cid=clicksource_4380645_3_three_posts_card_image

That's religion for ya. 

Just now, Clockwork_Spirit said:

Religion does not make one abuse children. But a twisted mind does.

Religion covers it up, that's collusion and spreading the evil. 

You know who George Pell is I take it? 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, psyche101 said:

Religion covers it up, that's collusion and spreading the evil. 

Nope. A particular institution, called the Catholic Church covers it up.

Sweeping statements such as ''Religion covers it up'' are meaningless.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Clockwork_Spirit said:

Nope. A particular institution, called the Catholic Church covers it up.

Sweeping statements such as ''Religion covers it up'' are meaningless.

Name a religion that has not had child abuse scandals. 

3 minutes ago, psyche101 said:

Name a country, a city or a community that has not had child abuse scandals.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Clockwork_Spirit said:

Name a country, a city or a community that has not had child abuse scandals.

Dodging the question? Hardly surprising. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, psyche101 said:

The Shakers perhaps.  Stayed celibate and built furniture. The Quakers maybe?  Good question.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, psyche101 said:

Dodging the question? Hardly surprising. 

Your premise is flawed. 

I blame humans for child abuse, and humans for covering it up.

• Thanks 1

Your premise is flawed. 

No it's not. The church has a bad history of doing what it had to in order to preserve the faith. Murdered many,  hid a lot of pedo priests. 

I blame humans for child abuse, and humans for covering it up.

Of course you would, your blinded by religion like a teenager in puppy love. 

You love quotes don't you? Here you go. 

religion-is-an-insult-to-human-dignity-w

• Like 4