Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

NASA scientist: 'ET may have already visited us'

UM-Bot

1 minute ago, Earl.Of.Trumps said:

Oui Oui, Gecks.

And I'd like to see people try to prove that ET life does not exist. It'd be a good laugh lol

who in here has ever said ET life does not exist?

• Like 1

There are a lot of people open to the idea of intelligent aliens on this site.  We can certainly say intelligent life may be out there, is likely to be;, is likely to be really different than what we expect.  That is the limit of conjecture. To go further, especially to link it to UFO's or anything else, takes some evidence; not more conjecture.  We just can't by nature follow you there without more substantial proof.

• Like 2

Alleged fragments from unidentified flying  objects have been studied by a few openminded scientists. It was found that some of these have an assortment of element isotopes that are not found on Earth.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bison said:

Alleged fragments from unidentified flying  objects have been studied by a few openminded scientists. It was found that some of these have an assortment of element isotopes that are not found on Earth.  

if true: why is this not world news?

It is 'world news' enough that I, and many others have heard of it. I don't suppose that everyone got the word about meteorites all at once either. There is a natural resistance to new ideas, especially among scientists.  In the case of extraterrestrial intelligence visiting out planet, I surmise that the revolutionary nature of the idea would provoke an especially strong reaction.

Edited by bison
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, bison said:

It is 'world news' enough that I, and many others have heard of it. I don't suppose that everyone got the word about meteorites all at once either. There is a natural resistance to new ideas, especially among scientists.  In the case of extraterrestrial intelligence visiting out planet, I surmise that the revolutionary nature of the idea would provoke an especially strong reaction.

oh ok then

22 minutes ago, Tatetopa said:

There are a lot of people open to the idea of intelligent aliens on this site.  We can certainly say intelligent life may be out there, is likely to be;, is likely to be really different than what we expect.  That is the limit of conjecture. To go further, especially to link it to UFO's or anything else, takes some evidence; not more conjecture.  We just can't by nature follow you there without more substantial proof.

Well, let me see, Tap.

Why should we *logically* stop conjecture at "life may be out there"? Look at the number of earth twins we have found byexamining just a tiny parsec of our own galaxy. Project those figures to our whole galaxy and a trillion other galaxies and it looks like there is so much life out there that visitation also seems to be reasonable conjecture.

But one thing I do know, Tap, your opinion is by far the majority.

3 minutes ago, Earl.Of.Trumps said:

Why should we *logically* stop conjecture at "life may be out there"? Look at the number of earth twins we have found byexamining just a tiny parsec of our own galaxy. Project those figures to our whole galaxy and a trillion other galaxies and it looks like there is so much life out there

Good friend Earl, I will go this far with you.  And further. Visitation may truly be a reasonable conjecture; absolutely.  I am with that too as a possibility.    Evidence would be good, but I know that is a little tough.    Short duration random events are difficult to study with the scientific method.  They are not reproduceable nor can observations be repeated by other observers as can a controlled experiment.  I can't proclaim visitation a total impossibility, but I have no reliable proof to support it yet.  it is open.  I was kinda hoping astronomers would see a couple of blinking lights or a course change from Oumuamua, but no such luck.  That would have been quite adequate.  Was it an uninhabited rock, or a spacecraft running silent that dropped off a cloud of nanoprobes?  No evidence, only conjecture at this point.  We are still skeptically waiting.  Cheers.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

In fact, Oumuamua  did change course a bit. It was found about 100,000 kilometers from where it was expected to be, at one point. There was a great deal of effort to ascribe this to venting of gas and/or dust, as seen in comets. Unfortunately from this explanation, we're told that this venting would have changed the rotation rate of Oumuamua to such a degree that it would have been noticed.  No such change was observed in the object's rotation. None of the other explanations for Oumuamua's anomalous speed  and course appear to have been satisfactory, either.   

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Earl.Of.Trumps said:

Good conversation, bud

Thanks.  I was kinda hoping for a definitive wink or radio message.  Still could happen tomorrow or next year.  I guess we have to wait and see. 

ET life out there and that they have visited Earth are 2 very different things IMO.    One is very likely and one is very unlikely.

10 hours ago, Myles said:

ET life out there and that they have visited Earth are 2 very different things IMO.    One is very likely and one is very unlikely.

Myles, allow me on to the soap box for a bit....

Planet earth is less than 5 billion years old and our species uses today, mostly, technology developed in the last 500 years. 500. That's it. In our own galaxy, there are bound to be planets that are much older, say, 10 billion years old, and intelligent beings that have advanced their technology for billions of years. I should think it is far easier for "them" to come to us then visa versa.

Now, if you look at the number of earth twins Kepler found before it went defunct due to technical problems, we would have 1,000 that are similar to Kepler 452b. And that was looking at only 150 million stars. We don't know what Kepler could have found in total had it completed its mission but let's just work with THAT. It yields about 1.2 billion earth twins in this galaxy ONLY, and then there are one trillion more galaxies.

Why is it difficult to surmise that it is considerable that earth has been visited? The galaxy is likely teeming with life.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Earl.Of.Trumps said:

Myles, allow me on to the soap box for a bit....

Planet earth is less than 5 billion years old and our species uses today, mostly, technology developed in the last 500 years. 500. That's it. In our own galaxy, there are bound to be planets that are much older, say, 10 billion years old, and intelligent beings that have advanced their technology for billions of years. I should think it is far easier for "them" to come to us then visa versa.

Now, if you look at the number of earth twins Kepler found before it went defunct due to technical problems, we would have 1,000 that are similar to Kepler 452b. And that was looking at only 150 million stars. We don't know what Kepler could have found in total had it completed its mission but let's just work with THAT. It yields about 1.2 billion earth twins in this galaxy ONLY, and then there are one trillion more galaxies.

Why is it difficult to surmise that it is considerable that earth has been visited? The galaxy is likely teeming with life.

I get what you are saying, but there are many factors.   The travel distance being huge.   Also, the dinosaurs ruled for 200 million years.  Life on other planets may have never evolved to be intelligent.   Also, it is likely that if they were ever capable of visiting Earth (which is unlikely), they would not be doing it at the same time that we are living in.

3 minutes ago, Myles said:

I get what you are saying, but there are many factors.   The travel distance being huge. 

Yes but don't judge that by looking at our pathetic technology. We know of the 11 dimensions now and how possible it may be to alter dimensions such as length in the direction of motion. It is my *opinion* that when UFO's appear to be accelerating incredibly fast, they can live through it because in their time reference, they are not moving as fast because they have lessened the distance they are traveling.  Now, if we can *think* of it, they can DO it. They've got something, though, that's for darn sure.

3 minutes ago, Myles said:

Also, the dinosaurs ruled for 200 million years.  Life on other planets may have never evolved to be intelligent.   Also, it is likely that if they were ever capable of visiting Earth (which is unlikely), they would not be doing it at the same time that we are living in.

The first part is possible but with so many chances to have intelligent life on earth twins, it is highly likely that many do/did have life evolve all the way to highly intelligent beings. Not provable, but by the numbers... likely.

your last part is curious. I think  that ET's are continuously around in the galaxy. my opinion. If their planet is destroyed, they can get to another so.. pretty sure they can live this long (14 billion yrs.)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Earl.Of.Trumps said:

Yes but don't judge that by looking at our pathetic technology. We know of the 11 dimensions now and how possible it may be to alter dimensions such as length in the direction of motion. It is my *opinion* that when UFO's appear to be accelerating incredibly fast, they can live through it because in their time reference, they are not moving as fast because they have lessened the distance they are traveling.  Now, if we can *think* of it, they can DO it. They've got something, though, that's for darn sure.

The first part is possible but with so many chances to have intelligent life on earth twins, it is highly likely that many do/did have life evolve all the way to highly intelligent beings. Not provable, but by the numbers... likely.

your last part is curious. I think  that ET's are continuously around in the galaxy. my opinion. If their planet is destroyed, they can get to another so.. pretty sure they can live this long (14 billion yrs.)

I like your optimism, but I don't think the factors aligned correctly for intelligent life to have visited Earth.  

• Like 1

Given the huge number of potentially life bearing planets in our galaxy, I have trouble imagining that quite a few are not currently able to visit our planet. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, bison said:

Given the huge number of potentially life bearing planets in our galaxy, I have trouble imagining that quite a few are not currently able to visit our planet. 

Hmmm...

The closest star system is over 4 light years away.   How on god's grey earth do you think they got here?   

The whole idea of Life being Advanced beyond our wildest imaginations is really quite Sci Fi and nothing more.  Life = Survival of the Fittest.  Life eats other life forms to survive.  Without life eating life ...there is no life.

So...what that means is that...when a species such as human...eventually dominates a planet.... for that species it Still becomes a matter of Survival of the Fittest ...within...the parameters of that species.  Which means...that a Life Form can only dominate until a certain point where the Survival of the Fittest Dominance  within the species destroys the species.  

9 hours ago, joc said:

Hmmm...

The closest star system is over 4 light years away.   How on god's grey earth do you think they got here?   

If we knew that Joc, it would no longer be sci-fi, now would it LOL. But I'm convinced that their "getting here" is reality. so....

9 hours ago, joc said:

The whole idea of Life being Advanced beyond our wildest imaginations is really quite Sci Fi and nothing more.  Life = Survival of the Fittest.  Life eats other life forms to survive.  Without life eating life ...there is no life.

joc, humans mostly use technology developed in the last 500 years. That's IT! 500 hundred years. That's NOTHING. what will WE be like a million years from now? how about a billion...? If you put any credence whatsoever that ET's do exist, then you, by default, have to accept the fact they have existed for billions of years. and yes, what they have is only sci-fi to us. That does not mean it is not REAL. They've had a lot of time to progress.

9 hours ago, joc said:

So...what that means is that...when a species such as human...eventually dominates a planet.... for that species it Still becomes a matter of Survival of the Fittest ...within...the parameters of that species.  Which means...that a Life Form can only dominate until a certain point where the Survival of the Fittest Dominance  within the species destroys the species.  

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Earl.Of.Trumps said:

If we knew that Joc, it would no longer be sci-fi, now would it LOL. But I'm convinced that their "getting here" is reality. so....

joc, humans mostly use technology developed in the last 500 years. That's IT! 500 hundred years. That's NOTHING. what will WE be like a million years from now? how about a billion...? If you put any credence whatsoever that ET's do exist, then you, by default, have to accept the fact they have existed for billions of years. and yes, what they have is only sci-fi to us. That does not mean it is not REAL. They've had a lot of time to progress.

Do you really think we'll be around for a million years?

The ET's I think exist are mostly unintelligent.  

1 hour ago, Myles said:

Do you really think we'll be around for a million years?

I hope so LOL. Billions, maybe. If humans can build mega space ships that can ferry thousands AND develop a fast way to travel, the human species has a chance.

1 hour ago, Myles said:

The ET's I think exist are mostly unintelligent.  

"mostly"... perhaps.  I have a theory. I think that once life forms come into being, (amoeba), you cannot under normal circumstances stop the cycle of life from occurring. Meaning, it will evolve all the way to the highest level, whatever that is.   (is the human species the last of the evolution pyramid? we don't know YET)

• Like 1

On ‎12‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 2:47 AM, bison said:

He prb means mainstream news. A lot people think if it's not on the mainstream news it isn't real. When mainstream news is more propaganda then anything.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Earl.Of.Trumps said:

And may have even created humans. A little DNA from a Neanderthal and some DNA from themselves sounds about right for the giant leap so fast.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, bison said:

And I am sure they don't travel at all the same way we do. I suspect they can travel interdimensionally and travel place to place just by thought. Consciousness can move anywhere in a blink of an eye.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Truthseeker007 said:

He prb means mainstream news. A lot people think if it's not on the mainstream news it isn't real. When mainstream news is more propaganda then anything.

Well, TruthSeeker (love that nic), don't take me wrong here, but MainStream Media (NYT, CNN, BBC) DID carry the three videos that the military released of UFO's and of a Navy pilot testifying of his experience with them (CNN).  But you'll be busy meeting anyone in your travels here at UM that actually *believes* that they saw intelligently constructed and flown UFO's.

Yes, they are standing in deNile. :mellow:

• Like 2