Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Mysterious Rock-Throwing in Joaçaba, Brazil

macqdor

Mysterious Rock-Throwing in Joaçaba, Brazil

A rock-throwing poltergeist may be active in rural south of Brazil. Residents of four homes in Linha Santa Clara Baixa, Joaçaba claim that for over a week their homes have been mysteriously pelted by rocks coming from all directions.

A phenomenon still unexplained intrigues and terrifies residents of the interior of Joaçaba.

Five days ago homes were hit by rocks and not even the police who witnessed one of the stoning could see who were the suspects.

https://www.ederluiz.com.vc/fenomeno-ainda-sem-explicacao-intriga-e-apavora-moradores-do-interior-de-joacaba

Edited by macqdor
  • Like 3

The news report noticed the size of the rocks. Some of them are on top of the houses and a shack, are big and to be able to hit the houses they could only be thrown from a medium distance from the residences. Which would become hard to do and not be seen, even with the trees and the vegetation. Another thing that is intriguing according to Dulce is that the rocks come from many directions, as if the houses were surrounded.

1 hour ago, macqdor said:

To me the quantity, quality and consistency of this type of phenomena throughout the world seems pretty convincing that that there is this phenomena not explainable through known causes. This coming from all directions is a recurrent pattern so it seems. What a universe, once again!

Downer for the thread that the link is in Portuguese. 

the latest Chrome Browser will automatically convert other languages into English.  FYI

did u see the comments sections underneath the article. A similar outbreak elsewhere is being reported

Yes the phenomena is universal.  

Edited by macqdor

8 minutes ago, papageorge1 said:

To me the quantity, quality and consistency of this type of phenomena throughout the world seems pretty convincing that that there is this phenomena not explainable through known causes. This coming from all directions is a recurrent pattern so it seems. What a universe, once again!

In poltergeist lore, it's frequently noticed that the 'thrown' rocks move with unnatural slowness. This, too, argues against a mundane explanation. Since the rocks arrive from all directions, it seems obvious that the house in question is at the center of the phenomenon. Spontaneous, unconscious psychokinesis, on the part of one of the persons living in the house, seems to be supported by this detail.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, bison said:

In poltergeist lore, it's frequently noticed that the 'thrown' rocks move with unnatural slowness. This, too, argues against a mundane explanation. Since the rocks arrive from all directions, it seems obvious that the house in question is at the center of the phenomenon. Spontaneous, unconscious psychokinesis, on the part of one of the persons living in the house, seems to be supported by this detail.  

or a group of kids outside with nothing better to do.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Robotic Jew said:

or a group of kids outside with nothing better to do.

lets see even one throw a rock with unnatural slowness. But further after enough similar cases from around the world and the assumed intelligence of the adults involved, I highly doubt this theory explains the whole phenomena away.

26 minutes ago, bison said:

In poltergeist lore, it's frequently noticed that the 'thrown' rocks move with unnatural slowness. 

Found an English-language report on this story. The link also contains a video of an interview of the experiencers, at the affected site. It's  in Portuguese, but with a text translation into English. (scroll down). Please find the link, below:

https://thefortean.com/2018/12/04/mysterious-rock-throwing-in-joacaba-brazil/ 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, papageorge1 said:

lets see even one throw a rock with unnatural slowness. But further after enough similar cases from around the world and the assumed intelligence of the adults involved, I highly doubt this theory explains the whole phenomena away.

Unnatural slowness?

Unnatural slowness?

Yes. One of the things witnesses have reported with objects moving is the uncharacteristic movement of the objects. Rocks, vases, and other objects seem to move in an unpredictable path like manner.  I've seen objects change their trajectory or flight path within seconds of being observed with the naked eye.    Some link this action to a theory known as the uncertainty principle. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uncertainty_principle

it states that the more precisely the position of some particle is determined, the less precisely its momentum can be known, and vice versa.

In short. The mere observance of an object e.g. stone. Alters its flight pattern.  

Edited by macqdor
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, Robotic Jew said:

Unnatural slowness?

See macqdar’s post above. 

My overall point being I think intelligent adults on the scene would not likely be impressed enough to have a story reach international attention if the overall scenario seems likely to be just kids.  Those on the scene know better everything connected to these events than us.

6 minutes ago, papageorge1 said:

See macqdar’s post above. 

My overall point being I think intelligent adults on the scene would not likely be impressed enough to have a story reach international attention if the overall scenario seems likely to be just kids.  Those on the scene know better everything connected to these events than us.

I mean hysteria and superstition are more common in places like this.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, AstralHorus said:

I mean hysteria and superstition are more common in places like this.

Sure those are things to consider. Also to consider is that perhaps the old spiritual things and ways may still persist longer closer to nature than inside a big city.

Yes, hysteria and superstition are things to get consider.  A researcher worth his or weight will investigate the local superstitions and hysteria. if they exist

An researcher who understands "geist" will ask questions and interview people.Including civic and law enforcement.  One of the things that sticks out in cases like this are

things we've already talked about.  Witnesses reporting weird movement of the objects being thrown. "Objects being thrown on all sides"  Individuals moving from house to house and still being bombarded with stones and in worst cases fire.

There are things to look for that a regular individual would not be privy to.   the characteristics i.e. geist symptoms are for the most part always universal.  

Questions worth asking

• are these rocks local to the area
  • are they cold or hot to the touch
  • how much do they weigh
  • do they have a smooth groove or surface
  • is it the same rocks being thrown

http://g1.globo.com/rs/rio-grande-do-sul/noticia/2014/06/casa-e-demolida-apos-exorcismo-e-fenomenos-incomuns-no-rs.html?utm_source=whatsapp&utm_medium=share-bar-desktop&utm_campaign=share-bar&fbclid=IwAR2aT4TIj4oV4G-BtekBTFhIScNkx4YrF81qsQvKmxEdfMWRq1psTiruy_Q

Unusual events were witnessed in a house located in the rural area of a municipality - whose name was not disclosed at the request of the family - of the North Region of Rio Grande do Sul. Noises of punches on the walls, stones falling on the roof and inside the house, even with the doors and windows closed, are some of the reports of the residents. The case became the main subject of the city and mobilized neighbors and local authorities, as shown in the Teledomingo report

• Like 1

How do you come across these stories

I belong to several parapsychology sites. Where news like this comes in. Journals, Newsletters, etc 

Google also sends me links whenever a story like this breaks out.  Key words, etc 

I started doing this after my ordeal.  For research purposes.

The education has been priceless.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@macqdor, do you think that any of the stories in these similar threads you’ve recently posted are more likely to have a mundane explanation? 

I mean, set up a webcam (poor superstitious countries, I know) and the mystery will be solved. 

Or; poltergeist all the way?

4 minutes ago, macqdor said:

I belong to several parapsychology sites. Where news like this comes in. Journals, Newsletters, etc 

Google also sends me links whenever a story like this breaks out.  Key words, etc 

I started doing this after my ordeal.  For research purposes.

The education has been priceless.

As an interested observer I appreciate you keeping this stuff coming. No way can I ever keep up with it but you have a more niche interest so you come across more of this stuff.

Just saying thank you and keep it coming and I am pleased that your critics don’t make you say this forum isn’t worth it. Hard to think by now that you are doing all this to deceive and that you didn’t have undeniable experiences to motivate your interests.

do you think that any of the stories in these similar threads you’ve recently posted are more likely to have a mundane explanation? 

I mean, set up a webcam (poor superstitious countries, I know) and the mystery will be solved. 

Or; poltergeist all the way?

Thats a great question.  The only way we're going to know either way.  Paranormal or logical/mundane explanation is by research and investigating.  One of the mistakes I hear people say is put cameras up.   The solution to the mystery is not a camera.  I can buy a $50 editing software with animation functionality and duplicate 'stones being thrown.'  Digital capture is not the answer. Boots on the ground is.  By boots on the ground I mean people living onsite, at the camp for a series of weeks, maybe even months. Maybe even years!

I just watched a Lion documentary over the weekend where the researchers studied a pride of lions for 14 yrs. 14 freaking years (they lived) near these lions. The had a house, hutt and etc built for their study.  When the lions moved so did they. 14 years for a two-episode.    What they discovered about lions in those 14 yrs advanced the field they're in. 

Until the paranormal field thinks in these terms, they're never going get believable evidence,

There's enough material in the above articles to warrant a visit. Nothing wrong with asking questions.   Nothing wrong with determining root cause.   If you discover hoaxing or superstition run amok then oh well, you move on.   

IMO most of these accounts are legit. Not all. Mostly!

Even if one story is legit that confirms the existence of poltergeist.

All you need is one.  

You can't get it by armchair quarterbacking though.  U needs boots on the ground.  With something better than a $20 K2 Meter.

Edited by macqdor
  • Like 1

The "geist" is real.   

it's real to those who lived it. Experienced it and witnessed it. Universal acceptance can't ever be the ultimate goal.  There are a lot things in existence right now that still haven't acquired universal acceptance.  Doesn't make them less real or more more b.s. an often mentioned acronym in a community such as this.

IMO the poltergeist is just un-figured-out science.   

POLTERGEISTS:AN ANNOTATED BIBLIOGRAPHY OF WORKS IN ENGLISH,CIRCA 1880-1975
by GOSS,MICHAEL

remove all the dates in the book above and you'll see stories i.e. witness accounts are identical. 

On every continent just about the witness accounts are identical.    Years before the internet even arrived.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, macqdor said:

The "geist" is real.   

it's real to those who lived it. Experienced it and witnessed it. Universal acceptance can't ever be the ultimate goal.  There are a lot things in existence right now that still haven't acquired universal acceptance.  Doesn't make them less real or more more b.s. an often mentioned acronym in a community such as this.

IMO the poltergeist is just un-figured-out science.   

POLTERGEISTS:AN ANNOTATED BIBLIOGRAPHY OF WORKS IN ENGLISH,CIRCA 1880-1975
by GOSS,MICHAEL

remove all the dates in the book above and you'll see stories i.e. witness accounts are identical. 

On every continent just about the witness accounts are identical.    Years before the internet even arrived.

I mean, there’s accounts from children all across the world of Santa Claus and fairies running about. 

I mean, there’s accounts from children all across the world of Santa Claus and fairies running about. 

Santa's a derivative of a pagan Holiday.  children believe in Santa Claus because of their parents.  People believe in "geist" because of their encounters.