Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

What happened to the good old days?

hereticspl

Let me begin by apologizing for the misleading title. This thread isn't about reminiscing about better times but rather a look at how technology has both helped us become more informed and at the same time more ignorant of thruths. In most developed countries there is a trend of decreasing amounts of violent crime, decreasing instances of terrorism related attacks and a decrease in poverty. However if the media we consume is to be blieved we are less safe now then ever before. What creates the disconnect? Is it proliferation of social media platforms? are media platforms sensationalizing stories to stay relevant? are authority figures manipulating media to push their agendas? or do we simply see the past with through coloured glasses? Sound off below and don't hold back.

Edited by hereticspl
  • Like 4

Depend entirely on how and where one looks at what actually. Increased intensity of concentrated media focus, elevated social connectivity and interactions, increasing speed of half truths to travel great distances, lack of accountability due to lack of empathy or increased apathy, the lists go on and on.

It ain't nothing new though ...

~

Oct 13, 2015 - Steals to Secure Cocaine." (Other papers erroneously ran that Oakley was Buffalo Bill's daughter-in-law—also a complete fabrication.) The truth was that a burlesque performer who went by the stage name "Any Oakley" had been arrested for theft and imprisoned in Chicago.

~
Aug 11, 2010 - How Annie Oakley, “Princess of the West,” Preserved Her Ladylike Reputation ... sue 55 different newspapers for libel, the largest action of its kind in history. ... sum of $27,500 in her suit against Hearst's Chicago newspapers.

~

by L Stotesbury - ‎1905 - ‎Cited by 5 - ‎Related articles
The Famous "Annie Oakley" Libel Suits. By Louis Stotesbury, Attorney for the ... Annie Oakley, who had exhibited with Buffalo Bill, etc., and among other things ...

~

~

Too much to gain and too little to lose against too little to gain and too much to lose depending on the circumstance and situation ...

~

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

Almost sounds like Antifa. The video may as well say free speech is a mistake.

Edited by Rlyeh
  • Like 3

Your title certainly is misleading! The thread is only about communication.

Edited by ouija ouija
  • Confused 1

21 minutes ago, Rlyeh said:

Almost sounds like Antifa. The video may as well say free speech is a mistake.

echo-chamber-297x420.png

This is the point. The internet is basically a collective of different echo chambers. 

• Like 1

I see now as clearly better then any other point in time. This can be seen by almost any measure. 

People having rose colored glasses for the past is natural because we tend to have found memories of our youth, unless your childhood was very tramatic. 

News outlets have sensationalized stories since inception, new stations, tv, radio, newspaper, and now the internet. It is none-thing new. and honestly it appears to me that social media less sensationalizes then does these other outlets.

People posting stuff on their profiles with social media are people freely sharing their thoughts. I would never want to stop people from sharing their thoughts and live in a world where only allow big media outlets could spread information  

Edited by spartan max2
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, third_eye said:

Depend entirely on how and where one looks at what actually. Increased intensity of concentrated media focus, elevated social connectivity and interactions, increasing speed of half truths to travel great distances, lack of accountability due to lack of empathy or increased apathy, the lists go on and on.

It ain't nothing new though ...

~

Too much to gain and too little to lose against too little to gain and too much to lose depending on the circumstance and situation ...

~

Under what evidence or logic are you stating a lack of empathy or increased apathy compared to other points in time? I would argue the complete opposite.

The same with half truths, what is your evidence or logic compared to the past?

At the present time, a person’s life has ceased to be valued, there is also a moral deterioration in all spheres of life, so it is not surprising that past times are considered happy times. No equipment, telephones and the Internet will save us as a person is the cause of everything .On the contrary, they will bring even more harm as a person through them spreads evil even more.

Edited by Coil
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, spartan max2 said:

Under what evidence or logic are you stating a lack of empathy or increased apathy compared to other points in time? I would argue the complete opposite.

The same with half truths, what is your evidence or logic compared to the past?

In general or specific issues ? 

My personal observation was general in nature, and was meant in the context of the full expression as I listed it ...

4 minutes ago, spartan max2 said:

Depend(s)* entirely on how and where one looks at what actually.

*it was somewhat in typonese there so I apologize

~

Technically what it all boils down to for me is as follows as the decisive factors ... it can go either way, but rarely counter to the points I raised in regards to what you would argue as opposite. 

6 minutes ago, spartan max2 said:

~

1 hour ago, Coil said:

At the present time, a person’s life has ceased to be valued, there is also a moral deterioration in all spheres of life, so it is not surprising that past times are considered happy times. No equipment, telephones and the Internet will save us as a person is the cause of everything .On the contrary, they will bring even more harm as a person through them spreads evil even more.

^ Says the fruit cake rambling on the internet.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I think there's been homogenization of the news media. Where are the protests, the anti-establishment opinions?

I suppose, growing up in the '60s, today it seems all we get is copies of press briefings written by the politicians. 

Maybe we just want comfort and a healthy economy. 

• Thanks 1

In the words of Billy Joel "The good ol' days weren't always good and tomorrow ain't as bad as it seeheeheems..." May he rest in peace...

8 hours ago, Rlyeh said:

^ Says the fruit cake rambling on the internet.

I suppose you tink erryting be ayrie these days, compared to 10 or 20 years ago?  And you're calling others a "fruitcake"?  SMH... Cozy up in that dream, you'll wake up soon enough.

Inefficiency, caused by human greed, leads to frustration and unhappiness in the populace.     ....HONK !     Tic..tic...tic..

4 hours ago, XenoFish said:

The good old days never existed, only good memories of the past.

Hmmmmm....I kind of beg to differ...just a bit.   According to my Aunt...whom I adore...

She told us once (she is now 82):

You think you are free.  You aren't.  WE were free.  We never locked our doors at night...we never locked our car doors.  We went where ever we wanted and never thought twice about it.  When we were kids your Grandfather decide we would all go to New York City.  We didn't have any money for a hotel so we just slept on park benches.

Now, you can say those were only good memories of the past...but I remember when I was a kid too....I'd leave the house...roam all over town...no one ever said nothing except...S U P P E R!! And I would...if I heard answer...O K A Y....until I was thirteen in Shreveport Louisiana...I went 'roaming' with a friend of mine.  When I came back...my Mother was in tears and they had called the police...I'd been gone for hours...not a big deal...but from then on...when ever I left the house...I had to tell someone where I was going, with who, and when I'd be back...it was actually the end of freedom for me.  so...there are good memories...but they were a different time as well...

• Like 3

Just now, joc said:

Hmmmmm....I kind of beg to differ...just a bit.   According to my Aunt...whom I adore...

You think you are free.  You aren't.  WE were free.  We never locked our doors at night...we never locked our car doors.  We went where ever we wanted and never thought twice about it.  When we were kids your Grandfather decided we would all go to New York City.  We didn't have any money for a hotel so we just slept on park benches.

Now, you can say those were only good memories of the past...but I remember when I was a kid too....I'd leave the house...roam all over town...no one ever said nothing except...S U P P E R!! And I would...if I heard answer...O K A Y....until I was thirteen in Shreveport Louisiana...I went 'roaming' with a friend of mine.  When I came back...my Mother was in tears and they had called the police...I'd been gone for hours...not a big deal...but from then on...when ever I left the house...I had to tell someone where I was going, with who, and when I'd be back...it was actually the end of freedom for me.  so...there are good memories...but they were a different time as well...

48 minutes ago, joc said:

You think you are free.  You aren't.  WE were free.  We never locked our doors at night...we never locked our car doors.  We went where ever we wanted and never thought twice about it.  When we were kids your Grandfather decide we would all go to New York City.  We didn't have any money for a hotel so we just slept on park benches.

I would hazard a guess that your aunt is Caucasian, lived in a moderate to small urban area, and is middle class-ish.  

If she had been poor, Mexican (or poor Black or Asian) she would remember those days very differently.  

During the "good old days" we had segregated drinking fountains and restrooms in the South.  We had "Whites only" restaurants and businesses.  Poor minorities had little recourse when they were accused of a crime and less than a hundred years ago, the citizens of Tulsa wiped out a Black section of town, killing many and burning down businesses (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tulsa_race_riot)  

Your aunt remembers halcyon days.  I remember this:

robert-f-kennedy.jpg

I remember this little girl and the others who went with her and the torment they endured for daring to enter a "whites only" space:

ruby_bridges_1.jpg

I remember lynchings.  I remember attacks on interracial couples.   I remember graffiti left on houses when minorities moved into a white suburban area.  I remember when any Black or Hispanic or woman (or worse, Black woman or Hispanic woman) was given an administrative position, that the White men in the department would quit or threaten to quit unless they were removed from the position.  

I remember when it wasn't safe to be gay, pagan, atheist, agnostic, Jew, Muslim, Hispanic, Asian, or woman.  I remember when I couldn't buy a car without my husband's permission or my father's permission.

Your family had good, safe experiences during those times... but your family isn't every family in America.  You were in a position to enjoy things as long as you conformed to your expected role (and I think your aunt did successfully, as did a lot of your family.)

They were someone's "good old days" but they sure  weren't the good old days for everyone.

Edited by Kenemet
  • Like 8

8 hours ago, and then said:

I suppose you tink erryting be ayrie these days, compared to 10 or 20 years ago?  And you're calling others a "fruitcake"?  SMH... Cozy up in that dream, you'll wake up soon enough.

If life has no value why is murder a crime? Would reinstating slavery give value to lives?

You certainly haven't woken up, I'm sure your imaginary friend will make everything better.

17 minutes ago, Rlyeh said:

If life has no value why is murder a crime? Would reinstating slavery give value to lives?

You certainly haven't woken up, I'm sure your imaginary friend will make everything better.

Live without hope in anything except your own intelligence and prowess if you like.  Most people do so.  I don't expect God to "make everything better" for me in this life.  He never promised it.  That isn't the point of our physical existence.  The point is to learn empathy for other creatures like ourselves.  The more pain we experience, the more we learn that lesson.

Just now, and then said:

Live without hope in anything except your own intelligence and prowess if you like.  Most people do so.  I don't expect God to "make everything better" for me in this life.  He never promised it.  That isn't the point of our physical existence.  The point is to learn empathy for other creatures like ourselves.  The more pain we experience, the more we learn that lesson.

You haven't answered my question, why is murder a crime if life has not value?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Kenemet said:

I would hazard a guess that your aunt is Caucasian, lived in a moderate to small urban area, and is middle class-ish.  

If she had been poor, Mexican (or poor Black or Asian) she would remember those days very differently.  

During the "good old days" we had segregated drinking fountains and restrooms in the South.  We had "Whites only" restaurants and businesses.  Poor minorities had little recourse when they were accused of a crime and less than a hundred years ago, the citizens of Tulsa wiped out a Black section of town, killing many and burning down businesses (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tulsa_race_riot)  

Your aunt remembers halcyon days.  I remember this:

robert-f-kennedy.jpg

I remember this little girl and the others who went with her and the torment they endured for daring to enter a "whites only" space:

ruby_bridges_1.jpg

I remember lynchings.  I remember attacks on interracial couples.   I remember graffiti left on houses when minorities moved into a white suburban area.  I remember when any Black or Hispanic or woman (or worse, Black woman or Hispanic woman) was given an administrative position, that the White men in the department would quit or threaten to quit unless they were removed from the position.  

I remember when it wasn't safe to be gay, pagan, atheist, agnostic, Jew, Muslim, Hispanic, Asian, or woman.  I remember when I couldn't buy a car without my husband's permission or my father's permission.

Your family had good, safe experiences during those times... but your family isn't every family in America.  You were in a position to enjoy things as long as you conformed to your expected role (and I think your aunt did successfully, as did a lot of your family.)

They were someone's "good old days" but they sure  weren't the good old days for everyone.

Fantastically written thank you.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Kenemet said:

You are correct on all counts.

6 hours ago, joc said:
  10 hours ago, XenoFish said:

The good old days never existed, only good memories of the past.

And you are correct as well.

It is all a matter of perspective.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, and then said:

The point is to learn empathy for other creatures like ourselves. 

Humans haven't properly learned empathy for other humans, let alone other life forms they deem inferior.

The more pain we experience, the more we learn that lesson.

Another fail I think, humans for the most part are too worried about being tough to realize they are in a vicious circle of suffering.  The hole will only keep getting bigger.