Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Unifying Dark Matter and Dark Energy.

danydandan

"We now think that both dark matter and dark energy can be unified into a fluid which possesses a type of 'negative gravity," repelling all other material around them. Although this matter is peculiar to us, it suggests that our cosmos is symmetrical in both positive and negative qualities."

Interesting eh! If this theory is correct it may answer a fundamental hole in our standard model. 

https://m.phys.org/news/2018-12-universe-theory-percent-cosmos.html

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

@sci-nerd as this theory has accurately made confirmed predictions relating to dark matter halos. I'd venture to say it's through biggest breakthrough in science in years.

Edited by danydandan
  • Like 2

Dr. Farnes said: "If real, it would suggest that the missing 95% of the cosmos had an aesthetic solution: we had forgotten to include a simple minus sign."

For every positive there is an equal and opposite negative. Yin and yang! Everywhere you look in mathematics there is a negative mirror image of the positive. Does this mean the same is true in the theoretical physical world? Maybe so!  :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

From the article

" If you were to push a negative mass, it would accelerate towards you"

This is difficult to fathom lol

• Thanks 1

"The outcome seems rather beautiful: dark energy and dark matter can be unified into a single substance, with both effects being simply explainable as positive mass matter surfing on a sea of negative masses."

What struck me here is my own thoughts of Time.  That there really is no past or future or even present....we are on a ship moving eternally through a sea of Now. 

34 minutes ago, Ozymandias said:

Dr. Farnes said: "If real, it would suggest that the missing 95% of the cosmos had an aesthetic solution: we had forgotten to include a simple minus sign."

For every positive there is an equal and opposite negative. Yin and yang! Everywhere you look in mathematics there is a negative mirror image of the positive. Does this mean the same is true in the theoretical physical world? Maybe so!  :)

There is asymmetrical relations in binary, but I'm terms of physics, particularly particle physics , asymmetry is a fundamental phenomenon. Even entropy is asymmetrical, unless your a proponent of Rodger Penrose's CCC. 

10 minutes ago, spartan max2 said:

From the article

" If you were to push a negative mass, it would accelerate towards you"

This is difficult to fathom lol

It's certainly hard to imagine. 

If the experiment yields positive results then we are in for another interesting few years. Although I'm doubting the negative mass part of it. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, danydandan said:

There is asymmetrical relations in binary, but I'm terms of physics, particularly particle physics , asymmetry is a fundamental phenomenon. Even entropy is asymmetrical, unless your a proponent of Rodger Penrose's CCC. 

It's certainly hard to imagine. 

If the experiment yields positive results then we are in for another interesting few years. Although I'm doubting the negative mass part of it. 

Don't say that.

I want sci-fi negative mass body armor that when hit with a bullet literally repels the bullet back at them.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, spartan max2 said:

Don't say that.

I want sci-fi negative mass body armor that when hit with a bullet literally repels the bullet back at them.

It's the hypothetically required ingredient needed for FTL and time travel. I don't think either are possible.

• Like 1

I do not think that only with the help of dark energy and matter can the appearance or work of the universe be explained.
There is also a factor of reason that science does not take into account.

25 minutes ago, Coil said:

I do not think that only with the help of dark energy and matter can the appearance or work of the universe be explained.
There is also a factor of reason that science does not take into account.

What's your comment have to do with the article? Or topic?

47 minutes ago, danydandan said:

What's your comment have to do with the article? Or topic?

Well, explain to me how the negative energy and the mass turned into the positive being of the universe and developed biological life.

6 hours ago, danydandan said:

@sci-nerd as this theory has accurately made confirmed predictions relating to dark matter halos. I'd venture to say it's through biggest breakthrough in science in years.

Dark fluid. Interesting indeed! I'm gonna need some time to try and visualize it, but it's so odd that I might fail :D

1 hour ago, Coil said:
Well, explain to me how the negative energy and the mass turned into the positive being of the universe and developed biological life.

That has nothing to do with the topic either. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, sci-nerd said:

Dark fluid. Interesting indeed! I'm gonna need some time to try and visualize it, but it's so odd that I might fail :D

The hard thing is trying to imagine pushing something and it coming back at you faster than you pushed it. All I can think of is a speed bag boxers use in training as a type of example 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, danydandan said:

The hard thing is trying to imagine pushing something and it coming back at you faster than you pushed it. All I can think of is a speed bag boxers use in training as a type of example 

It's the dual property of gathering and pushing I find hard to comprehend.

I just had a vision!  Okay a ...daydream...trying to get my head around that.   Imagine a bullet shooting straight down into the water...a big splash comes back up at you....So...if the water were negative matter and the bullet positive matter...as the Positive pushes into the Negative...a void is formed which causes Negative Energy to rush in to fill the space...but it rushes in faster than the Positive Energy is moving it out of the way....

...never mind....

• Thanks 1

I wonder then-- if pushing negative matter away would make it move toward you, could trying to pull it toward you make it fly away? If you had a  container of this  'dark fluid', and held onto it, while you pulled it toward you, would it pull you along, too? If so, it almost sounds like the basis for a kind of 'space drive'. 

What if there is only one particle inside every atom , that turns positive to negative and depending on how fast this process happens is how many particles we think we see. The anti particle would be invisible and sit in between two neutrons that we see as only one neutron . Which would also explain why the connector (neutron) has more sub atomic mass because it is actually is two different phases of a particle .  Just an idea.

• Like 1

Dark matter and dark energy are now being considered to be unified into a fluid with 'negative gravity'.

Why a 'fluid'?

• Like 1

I for one would like to welcome our fluid overlords. So, is peeing a mark of respect or an insult to our liquid friends? 

Hank

Edited by Hankenhunter
Forgot how to punctuate.

15 hours ago, danydandan said:

That has nothing to do with the topic either.

Sorry, I just got used to the structure of numerous worlds into which a person passes or angels and gods live that I cannot find some dark energy or mass. Nevertheless, it is not clear what scientists mean if you look for a suitable analogue: it can be a primary negative chaos from which a positive being arises or is it searched by ancient scientists ether or is it all invisible worlds or something different since the gradations of energy are many and they are dozens of times superior to nuclear forces in splitting but this is not all scientific knowledge.

It is nice that they have some means of testing the theory, but I'm not holding my breath on the results.

Negative matter is more philosophically appealing than dark energy+dark matter, as others have pointed out in this thread it is nice to have a universe with balanced duality. But when you have to slap on an ad-hoc ``creation tensor'' (in my opinion it is ad-hoc) to continuously generate more negative mass over time, it sort of ruins the duality, doesn't it?

• Like 1

So...They exchanged two place holders (Dark Matter and Dark Energy) for one place holder: Dark Fluid.
Why not just call it 'wedontknowium'?

3 hours ago, sepulchrave said:

It is nice that they have some means of testing the theory, but I'm not holding my breath on the results.

Negative matter is more philosophically appealing than dark energy+dark matter, as others have pointed out in this thread it is nice to have a universe with balanced duality. But when you have to slap on an ad-hoc ``creation tensor'' (in my opinion it is ad-hoc) to continuously generate more negative mass over time, it sort of ruins the duality, doesn't it?

The ad hoc, is certainly contentions. I can't see how that aspect of the hypothesis is testable.