Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

£20 per day parking fees for NHS staff

Eldorado

NHS staff at a Scottish hospital are angry at having to pay "unfair" car parking fees of £20-a-day to attend work.

Nurses at the Glasgow Royal Infirmary set up an online petition - which has accrued more than 11,000 signatures - to rally support for lowering the levy.

The car park is one of three in Scotland locked into a PFI arrangement.

The Scottish government says it wants the charges "abolished". The car park owners, Semperian, declined to comment.

Full report: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-46442619

:(

• Sad 4

4 hours ago, Eldorado said:

NHS staff at a Scottish hospital are angry at having to pay "unfair" car parking fees of £20-a-day to attend work.

Nurses at the Glasgow Royal Infirmary set up an online petition - which has accrued more than 11,000 signatures - to rally support for lowering the levy.

The car park is one of three in Scotland locked into a PFI arrangement.

The Scottish government says it wants the charges "abolished". The car park owners, Semperian, declined to comment.

Full report: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-46442619

Cars are considered a luxury item. They'll have to walk, get the bus or pay the parking charges. 

People need to get smart, all nurses and staff in responce should get buses and overwhelm the local transport network, resulting in grid lock and nurses and staff arriving late for work, which results in hospital delays and costs. They'd soon change policy. But alas people are self interested and the majority will still arrive by car and pay the charge for convenience. Trick is become as one and do the above. 

• Like 2

so it is a private parking lot that raised prices. not gvmnt.  can it be deducted from taxes?

Edited by aztek
  • Like 1

They don't HAVE to park there.

But I do think they should be able to for free

1 hour ago, aztek said:

is free street parking in Glasgow that hard to find?   

It's a nightmare to park near a hospital. The streets are mostly narrow and were laid out long before everyone owned a car.  With older tenements, for example, you can have six householders with cars but no parking spaces for them.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Eldorado said:

It's a nightmare to park near a hospital. The streets are mostly narrow and were laid out long before everyone owned a car.  With older tenements, for example, you can have six householders with cars but no parking spaces for them.

seems like its worst than in Manhattan, wow I did not think it could get worst 

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, aztek said:

seems like its worst than in Manhattan, wow I did not think it could get worst 

There's money in it...

"The RAC revealed that parking income exceeded £1.5bn in the last financial year, which is a 4 per cent rise on the previous 12 months.

And £338m of that was from parking penalty charges alone. A further £682m came from off-street charges and penalties." 

https://www.independent.co.uk/money/spend-save/parking-fines-up-22-per-cent-council-fees-charges-drivers-cars-how-much-money-income-earn-revenues-a7896026.html

I reckon half the town and city councils in Britain would be a whole lot poorer without the income from all the different Fines a person can get.  Serial small-time offenders should be getting civic medals for all the money they hand over in Fines, not jail time or rehab courses.  (The cops, traffic wardens, district courts staff and all those council admin staff rely on them!)

• Like 1

I thought free hospital car parking was one of the many perks and freebies the Scots enjoy which the English don't.

• Haha 1

On 12/8/2018 at 7:09 AM, Black Monk said:

I thought free hospital car parking was one of the many perks and freebies the Scots enjoy which the English don't.

not if the park has a different owner than a hospital.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Four in 10 NHS hospitals in England have increased car parking prices in the last year, new data suggests.

A total of 124 of the 152 trusts running hospitals responded to Freedom of Information requests by the Press Association, with 53 saying prices had gone up for visitors or staff, or both.

Some trusts had doubled the cost of certain stays for visitors in 2017-18.

Several hospitals defended the charges, saying some or all of it goes back into patient care or maintaining car parks.

But unions said some staff were having to pay "through the nose" to park at work.

---

Paul Mulligan, from Horley, Surrey, says his son - then aged one - had an operation in July to remove his tonsils at Evelina London Children's Hospital.

They were told not to travel by public transport in order to minimise the risk of infection and were instead directed to the hospital's car park.

He said the car park had an uncapped hourly rate and that after staying two nights in hospital they had to pay £130 for parking.

"I understand the need to pay for parking but charging an uncapped hourly rate is ridiculous.

"In my opinion there should be a daily rate and an overnight rate for patients and family."

'A rip-off'

Full report: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-46687272

(emphasis mine)

• Haha 1

If he wants something to complain about, Let him pay the treatment Bill (easily £2,000+  for tonsils out) and let the hospital pay for his parking. £130.

• Sad 1