Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

A "Festive" Satanic statue for Illinois

Eldorado

A satanic group has added its own statue to a series of displays in the government building of the US state of Illinois to mark the festive season.

Placed between a Christmas tree and a menorah, the four-foot sculpture depicts a snake coiled around an outstretched arm holding an apple.

It's the first display sponsored by the Chicago chapter of the Temple of Satan.

The state government said the temple had the same right as other religious groups to have a display.

"Under the Constitution, the First Amendment, people have a right to express their feelings, their thoughts," Dave Druker, spokesman for the Illinois secretary of state, told the State Journal-Register. "This recognises that."

Full report: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-46453544

• Thanks 1

Oh man ... the Bible thumpers ain't gonna be pleased at all ...

~

• Haha 1

I assume a nativity scene wasn't possible.  

I don't have much of a problem with this.    I think Satan worshipers are idiots for the most part.   I'm an atheist, but if I did believe, I certainly wouldn't choose to worship the dark side.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Myles said:

I don't have much of a problem with this.    I think Satan worshipers are idiots for the most part.   I'm an atheist, but if I did believe, I certainly wouldn't choose to worship the dark side.

They don't worship satan or the dark side. 

"The Satanic Temple does not believe in a supernatural Satan. The Temple uses the literary Satan as a metaphor to promote pragmatic skepticism, rational reciprocity, personal autonomy, and curiosity.[6] Satan is thus used as a symbol representing "the eternal rebel" against arbitrary authority and social norms" From Wikipedia(take that for what it is)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

28 minutes ago, aztek said:

why would they? they are represented by a Christmas tree

Christmas trees have nothing to do with Christianity.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Myles said:

I don't think there are actually enough confirmed satanist's to justify a public display.  How many churches of satan are there in Illinois?  I'll bet you can't find even one registered building for the purpose of worship.  The state should tell them to suck it.

• Like 4

Just now, OverSword said:

well, at least something, it is related to x-mas, which is a Christian Holiday, isn't it?  Jews are represented by menorah, so they can't complain, not that we ever complain.

• Haha 1

Well, the only, small problem I kind of have with this is that is that, considering the philosophy of the Temple of Satan, I have a suspicion  that this statue isn't there for any religious reasons, it's there to make a statement, which is not what the display is about.

Though, it could have been worse, at least it's a fairly tasteful statue, imagine if they had chosen a bust of Ayn Rand instead... *shudder*

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, aztek said:

well, at least something, it is related to x-mas, which is a Christian Holiday, isn't it?  Jews are represented by menorah, so they can't complain, not that we ever complain.

Do you see a lot of trees in Christian churches?  I don't ever recall seeing one.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, aztek said:

christmas-decorations-in-church.jpg

They never did that where I went to church as a kid.  But then again we're protestants and our churches are elegant but unadorned with anything except a plain cross.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, OverSword said:

Do you see a lot of trees in Christian churches?  I don't ever recall seeing one.

I've never been to a church around christmas that didn't have a tree. Been to quite a few synagogues that didn't though.

• Haha 4

13 minutes ago, Robotic Jew said:

I've never been to a church around christmas that didn't have a tree. Been to quite a few synagogues that didn't though.

Do you have one at home?  I had a friend from work who is Jewish (not really religious though) and went over to his house a couple of years ago and they had a tree up.  His wife said her parents always did that because they thought it was pretty.

Edited by OverSword
  • Like 2

26 minutes ago, OverSword said:

Like it or not, they do now and have for several decades.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, OverSword said:

I don't think there are actually enough confirmed satanist's to justify a public display.  How many churches of satan are there in Illinois?  I'll bet you can't find even one registered building for the purpose of worship.  The state should tell them to suck it.

The state can't. That whole pesky first amendment thing

• Like 1

Do you have one at home?  I had a friend from work who was Jewish (not really religious though) and went over to his house a couple of years ago and they had a tree up.  His wife said her parents always did that because they thought it was pretty.

I do. 

My wife is christian and I'm an atheist. And i'm not against the tradition as it gives the kids something to do and be excited about. We don't teach them the jesus story or anything though. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Imaginarynumber1 said:

In peoples minds but they really represent the commercial side of Christmas which has nothing to do with religion therefore not actually Christian imo.  They are a holiday tradition, a holiday celebrated by many people that will tell you they're not Christians.

• Like 1

Do you have one at home?  I had a friend from work who was Jewish (not really religious though) and went over to his house a couple of years ago and they had a tree up.  His wife said her parents always did that because they thought it was pretty.

we have a tree up every year, always did.  as well as menorah on the windowsill.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Imaginarynumber1 said:

Just like Santa, the trees have plenty to do with Christmas but not much to do with Christianity.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Imaginarynumber1 said:

The state can't. That whole pesky first amendment thing

Someone at the state must okay these things.  I'm sure not just anyone can go and put up any random display they feel like putting up.

1 minute ago, OverSword said:

Someone at the state must okay these things.  I'm sure not just anyone can go and put up any random display they feel like putting up.

Yeah, but we've seen this time and time again. If one religious group is allowed a display on state grounds, then ALL religious groups must be allowed displays or the state is violating the first amendment by a tacit endorsement of, lets be quite honest, christianity.

4 minutes ago, Eldorado said:

Just like Santa, the trees have plenty to do with Christmas but not much to do with Christianity.

Oh, you mean christmas, the CHRISTIAN holiday? The association is there, like it or not.

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, Imaginarynumber1 said:

Yeah, but we've seen this time and time again. If one religious group is allowed a display on state grounds, then ALL religious groups must be allowed displays or the state is violating the first amendment by a tacit endorsement of, lets be quite honest, christianity.

Should that include Pastafarians?  Actually kind of weird that they haven't done it yet.

• Haha 1