Jump to content
Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Eldorado

A "Festive" Satanic statue for Illinois

66 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

Imaginarynumber1
41 minutes ago, F3SS said:

Very well but it's people like them and probably like you too who either ruin or take the joy out of long standing traditions enjoyed by almost everybody in a selfish act of protest for no other reason than to seek attention and rain on the parade just to prove a point on a technicality that literally nobody else could give two shlts about. 

Correct. And also, to you know, stop the state from trying to become a ****ing theocracy. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
F3SS

Theocracy- a society ruled by priests who represent a God. 

Yes, we are teetering on the edge. :td:

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sir Wearer of Hats

More illiteracy I see, they asked for a Santa statue, misplaced a single letter ans got a Satan one.

Educational Standards dropping across the globe, how sad.

  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
thedutchiedutch

I am not a fan of religion but this is just pure provocation in my opinion. Very stupid.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Orphalesion
23 hours ago, sci-nerd said:

Yes, in many peoples minds it is, but not in mine. For me it's the winter solstice, a viking holiday.

The Winter Solistice wasn't just a Viking holiday though... it's a important event in the cycle of the natural cycle of the year and was celebrated independently by the vast majority of pre-Christian religions, in Europe at least. And Christmas might originally be places on that date to replace the high fest of the Mediterranean Mithras cult.

However, personally I think after about 1700 years of Christmas being celebrated by Christians I'd say it counts as a "Christian" holiday. But there are other non-Christian holidays that are celebrated around the same time, like the various pagan Winter Solstices. 

Because imho saying it can't be a Christian holiday because it has roots in non-Christian holidays, is like saying the Viking Winter Solstice Celebration isn't a Viking holiday because it was already celebrated by some proto-Germanic people that eventually became the Viking or because the Romans celebrated Feast of Mithras on that day long before there were any Vikings.
Things are continuously in flux and what and thus gain new natures and definition. For example, Christmas has been becoming increasingly secular for a long time now, losing its religious element, it's celebrated in Japan despite pretty much nobody there being Christian So in that context it is (or is becoming) a non-religious holiday.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
skliss
7 hours ago, Orphalesion said:

in Japan despite pretty much nobody there being Christian So in that context it is (or is becoming) a non-religious holiday

Actually according to a Japanese family that had their kids in our Catholic school when my kids went there...not only are there many families in Japan that celebrate full  Christmas,  many are converting. They eventually did.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Likely Guy
3 hours ago, skliss said:

Actually according to a Japanese family that had their kids in our Catholic school when my kids went there...not only are there many families in Japan that celebrate full  Christmas,  many are converting. They eventually did.

Last I heard 'Merry Christmas' translated into 'Happy Gift Day' in Japanese. May the spirit of consumerism, consume you.

Yeah, I added the last bit.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
XenoFish
Just now, Likely Guy said:

Last I heard 'Merry Christmas' translated into 'Happy Gift Day' in Japanese. May the spirit of consumerism, consume you.

Yeah, I added the last bit.

Giftmas: nondenominational season of mass consumerism and gift giving. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Likely Guy
3 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

Giftmas: nondenominational season of mass consumerism and gift giving. 

Good thing. The retailers have barely, just in time, recovered from Black Friday. I guess that, until the next time, they're all losing money.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Michelle
10 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

Giftmas: nondenominational season of mass consumerism and gift giving. 

Not in our house. I invite everyone over Christmas Day, but there are no gifts allowed. We're all getting older and have too much stuff already. <_<

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
sci-nerd
22 hours ago, Orphalesion said:

The Winter Solistice wasn't just a Viking holiday though... it's a important event in the cycle of the natural cycle of the year and was celebrated independently by the vast majority of pre-Christian religions, in Europe at least. And Christmas might originally be places on that date to replace the high fest of the Mediterranean Mithras cult.

However, personally I think after about 1700 years of Christmas being celebrated by Christians I'd say it counts as a "Christian" holiday. But there are other non-Christian holidays that are celebrated around the same time, like the various pagan Winter Solstices. 

Because imho saying it can't be a Christian holiday because it has roots in non-Christian holidays, is like saying the Viking Winter Solstice Celebration isn't a Viking holiday because it was already celebrated by some proto-Germanic people that eventually became the Viking or because the Romans celebrated Feast of Mithras on that day long before there were any Vikings.
Things are continuously in flux and what and thus gain new natures and definition. For example, Christmas has been becoming increasingly secular for a long time now, losing its religious element, it's celebrated in Japan despite pretty much nobody there being Christian So in that context it is (or is becoming) a non-religious holiday.

True dat, but my ancestors were vikings, so for me, personally, it's a viking tradition called "Jul", and has absolutely nothing to do with christianity.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
aztek
Just now, sci-nerd said:

True dat, but my ancestors were vikings, so for me, personally, it's a viking tradition called "Jul", and has absolutely nothing to do with christianity.

for thousands of years swastika was a Buddhist symbol of good luck, but now it only associates with Nazis, no one cares of original history nowadays.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
sci-nerd
4 minutes ago, aztek said:

for thousands of years swastika was a Buddhist symbol of good luck, but now it only associates with Nazis, no one cares of original history nowadays.

We connect swastikas with atrocities and genocide, so that one is ruined for good. But I find origins intriguing, and I hold them high.

Edited by sci-nerd

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
aztek
Just now, sci-nerd said:

We connect swastikas with atrocities and genocide, so that one is ruined for good. But I find origins intriguing, and I hold them high.

if people knew more about origonal tradition and krampus, it may ruing their x mas

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DingoLingo
On 12/6/2018 at 12:24 AM, aztek said:

 it is related to x-mas, which is a Christian Holiday, isn't it? 

pagan holiday :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Imaginarynumber1
On 12/5/2018 at 1:25 PM, F3SS said:

Theocracy- a society ruled by priests who represent a God. 

Yes, we are teetering on the edge. :td:

if the christians get their way....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.