Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Social Media and Search History Gun Bill

OverSword

I just meant that I think their system only works in one direction. I didn't mean a thing personal towards you Michelle!

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, F3SS said:

I just meant that I think their system only works in one direction. I didn't mean a thing personal towards you Michelle!

I know! It's just that we have friends from all walks of life and even thinking about such a system is distressing.

17 hours ago, F3SS said:

Sure it's on you but the social implications are pretty deep when people avoid you because of your credit score and I don't mean lenders. I don't know about you but I've never had any circle of friends where everyone holds 800 credit scores. I've been a 5 while a friend was an 8 and vica versa. It's pretty messed up when just being friends with someone can affect your credit score or in China's case, their social credit score. It's a whole other level of twisted. 

I will tell you that in today's corporate world, candidates for salaried managerial positions have their credit score checked as well as their LinkedIn, twitter, Reddit, and Facebook presence.  You can lose out on a job due to your negative comments about a previous employer, or questionable photos posted of your over the top birthday party. .  You can be effectively  barred from lucrative positions by letting it all hang out online.

• Like 1

On 12/5/2018 at 10:36 AM, aztek said:

it is not made to really protect anyone in reality, only to make it easier to "fish"

Maybe it isn't,  Maybe is is a genuine effort to stop mass shootings.  Maybe people focused on those senseless killings don't see further implications.  There are some. Not all of them are good.  It is tangible and something more than thoughts and prayers.   As somebody said, I think it will be challenged in court.  

Even without this, fishing is pretty easy these days.

57 minutes ago, Tatetopa said:

I will tell you that in today's corporate world, candidates for salaried managerial positions have their credit score checked as well as their LinkedIn, twitter, Reddit, and Facebook presence.  You can lose out on a job due to your negative comments about a previous employer, or questionable photos posted of your over the top birthday party. .  You can be effectively  barred from lucrative positions by letting it all hang out online.

True but this Chinese system is on a whole other level. Plus it's mandatory. You should read about it. It's really nothing like what we do here informally.

10 hours ago, aztek said:

then you must believe Santa exists.

Maybe I do.  I do  know I would like to see senseless shootings of women and children stop.  I don't have any good ideas to stop it.  Thoughts and prayers are worth less than toilet paper in this case. Somebody comes up with an idea.  "Lets keep psychopaths and hardened violent criminals from legally buying firearms."  Maybe the idea has some unexpected consequences.  Maybe we need to talk about that more.  But I can just as well imagine a parent or husband of a shooting victim coming up with this as somebody conniving to take away 2nd Amendment rights. 

Want to start selling them to MS13 members too just to ensure everybody gets a gun?

9 hours ago, F3SS said:

True but this Chinese system is on a whole other level. Plus it's mandatory. You should read about it. It's really nothing like what we do here informally.

True that.  How long will it take us to get there if we keep up this pace?

I've never owned a gun, so I don't know the whole process, but if you're turned down after a background check do they tell you why?  Do they tell you what they checked for?  Or is it just pass/fail with no explanation?

8 hours ago, Tatetopa said:

True that.  How long will it take us to get there if we keep up this pace?

I've been thinking about that and I dont think it would be too hard to implement. The idea of your true social "status" being available for all to see, people might flock to it. Just look what people will do just for likes on social media. Imagine if those likes actually meant something. 

• Like 2

On 12/6/2018 at 3:51 AM, and then said:

They are as free to do it as they ever were.

Except for victims of gang violence and domestic abuse. Trump made it so they cannot apply for asylum.

On 12/8/2018 at 12:06 PM, F3SS said:

I've been thinking about that and I dont think it would be too hard to implement. The idea of your true social "status" being available for all to see, people might flock to it. Just look what people will do just for likes on social media. Imagine if those likes actually meant something. 

great idea for employers,  no need to pay a third party to do investigations.

8 hours ago, aztek said:

great idea for employers,  no need to pay a third party to do investigations.

Whether it's a good thing or not certainly depends on which side of the coin your on. It's just too godam invasive for me. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/5/2018 at 3:06 PM, Robotic Jew said:

Shouldn't the goal of a civilized society be to move towards the day when weapons of murder are a thing of the past? As humans, shouldn't we welcome a day where there's no need for "protection" from other humans?

Also, good luck with your violent overthrow of the government that could already murder you at any point whether you have a gun or not.They don't care if you have guns. If what you're suggesting was their goal then they would just come and take the guns from you, or blow you up with a drone. 

Oh, sorry. There are those of us who actually have a backbone and would rather die for our rights then to bend over and take it. 

Edited by TomasaurusREKT
  • Like 1

On 12/8/2018 at 11:20 AM, Big Jim said:

I've never owned a gun, so I don't know the whole process, but if you're turned down after a background check do they tell you why?  Do they tell you what they checked for?  Or is it just pass/fail with no explanation?

I'm not sure I've never failed one lol but I too am curious. But I'm sure if you fail one you would know why...

1 minute ago, TomasaurusREKT said:

I'm not sure I've never failed one lol but I too am curious. But I'm sure if you fail one you would know why...

I think it would depend on the person who did the background check. If you were nice to them they'd probably tell you why. The guy who did mine would have asked me if it was a mistake.

1 minute ago, Michelle said:

I think it would depend on the person who did the background check. If you were nice to them they'd probably tell you why. The guy who did mine would have asked me if it was a mistake.

Well I'm sitting next to my girlfriend and she used to work at a Sporting goods store. She says the agency they use to do the background checks is called NICS and they do not give a reason.

Edited by TomasaurusREKT
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, TomasaurusREKT said:

Well I'm sitting next to my girlfriend and she used to work at a Sporting goods store. She says the agency they use to do the background checks is called NICS and they do not give a reason.

Interesting. I'll have to look into it further. People have been put on no fly lists because of bureaucratic mistakes and I'd want to know.

Here's a small read on it: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Instant_Criminal_Background_Check_System

Basically they check three databases:

1) The National Crime Information Center- Pretty obvious there.  Basically if you're a criminal or not.

2) Interstate Identification Index- Your rap sheet

3) NICS Index-  A little trickier as it contains information about you based on State and Federal law that might not be on the first two: https://www.fbi.gov/news/pressrel/press-releases/national-instant-criminal-background-check-system-posts-nics-index-data

That being said, I would imagine that posting bad stuff on social media with the bill mentioned in the topic would probably add your name to the NICS Index.

13 minutes ago, aztek said:

yea they do not give you any reason, they either tell dealer to proceed or deny

In that case they could already be checking social media and not tell you.  This could be getting publicized just to gauge the reaction and then when attention is off of this topic they enact the bill anyway.

Just now, Big Jim said:

In that case they could already be checking social media and not tell you.  This could be getting publicized just to gauge the reaction and then when attention is off of this topic they enact the bill anyway.

i think you overestimate them a lot.

38 minutes ago, aztek said:

i think you overestimate them a lot.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but apparently different gun dealers can use various agencies to run their background checks.  I'm not saying they all do it, but there seems to be nothing in place to keep any particular agent from using whatever research tools he wishes to employ.  

Just now, Big Jim said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but apparently different gun dealers can use various agencies to run their background checks.  I'm not saying they all do it, but there seems to be nothing in place to keep any particular agent from using whatever research tools he wishes to employ.  

as far as i know it's 1 and only system. FBI, they may look at different databases depending on the state, but no way they can know your ip,(if you even have a static one)  or check your history  just from that, unless they had done so before for whatever reason.  but even ip wont give them your full history if at all,.  it is not something they can check without you giving them proper info before.

there is no way in hell they would be able to do that, they fail at much much simpler tasks,

they can check your social media profile, if you use your real name there, that is about it. and in quite a lot of mass shootings this simple task would have been enough, no need for search history, but not a single one was prevented even with profiles out in the open

Edited by aztek