Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

"Maori Santa" causing a stir Down Under

Eldorado

December 2

"Gone are the days when Santa’s inconsistencies were irregularly styled white beards or slightly differently shaded red suits, musty from 12 months in the back of a closet. In this modern and increasingly politically correct society we live in, everything—from the race, age, gender and attire of the jolly figure—is up for heated debate.

In Nelson, the Santa Parade took a bicultural approach. The traditional pale-faced, rosy-cheeked Santa dressed in red velvet was replaced with a Māori man wearing a red korowai and holding a large hook.

While some onlookers applauded the switcheroo, a bunch of children weren’t so approving, quizzing their parents on where the “real” Santa was. The unexpected twist even provoked a few tears, with young ones perceiving the bold statement as a devastating Santa no-show."

https://www.vice.com/en_nz/article/mby9xp/santa-gets-kiwi-makeover-in-maori-cloak-one-day-and-fishnets-the-next-outrage-ensues

December 6

"An All Blacks star has slammed the backlash against a Maori Santa, and called the debate more damaging than the Christmas float itself.  

Nehe Milner-Skudder shared his views on the issue on social media, and called some of the comments made about the costume 'disrespectful and disgusting'.

The float sparked a fierce debate after a large crowd eagerly waiting to catch a glimpse of Santa during a Christmas parade on Sunday were left scratching their heads upon laying their eyes on the man sitting in the bright red sleigh.

The pot-bellied figure with a large white beard had been replaced by a Maori man wearing a red korowai - a type of cloak."

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6466417/All-Blacks-star-slams-backlash-against-Maori-Santa-calling-debate-damaging-Christmas.html

The Season of Goodwill.

Edited by Eldorado
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

Some kids cried because they thought Santa had blown them off this year.  That's why parents are supposed to tell kids that's one of Santa's helpers, the real Santa is getting everyone's Christmas gifts ready at the North Pole.

Personally I thought he looked pretty cool.

• Like 4

Community Arts Works Trust secretary Mark Soper told Stuff the idea behind the Māori Santa was 'bi-culturalism leading multi-culturalism

Good one Mark! I'm sure the kids viewed every float like someone with an arts degree. :rolleyes:

• Haha 2

While I find this entertaining as an adult, I can understand why it might have confused the kids when their Coca-Cola classic version of the guy wasn’t in the sleigh.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

If it pleases the kiddos ... go for it ...

~

[00.01:30]

~

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, rashore said:

While I find this entertaining as an adult, I can understand why it might have confused the kids when their Coca-Cola classic version of the guy wasn’t in the sleigh.

Yep, the concept as an arts display for adults and contraversy is just fine.  But as a kids Christmas parade. Nope.

Nobody cares if Santa has brown skin. Crickey there are so many shades no one can tell under the beard. But it was not Santa. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Im seriously getting a migrane.... forget everything you know about Santa claus and watch this movie. this is the real santa. 

Edited by Avalanche

Having a few Maori mates,a glass of milk and cookies wont cut it at Christmas.A crate of beer and a feed of seafood left for that Santa.Chur.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Black Red Devil said:

Lucky he didn't add the haka to the ritual.

Let's see some Grinch try something with that lot ... :lol:

~

• Like 1

1 hour ago, openozy said:

Having a few Maori mates,a glass of milk and cookies wont cut it at Christmas.A crate of beer and a feed of seafood left for that Santa.Chur.

They are a wholesome folk. Even if they do have weird names for Australian fush!

I’m just sad that I didn’t get to visit Hobbiton. Tours were booked out when I drove past. Very dark days! 

And I don’t know if I’ll ever understand NZ whitebait. An uncle over the ditch couldn’t explain it to me. 

I guess I can send Maori Santa some kind of correspondence. Does anyone know his address? Physical or digital?

Thanks in advance. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Timothy said:

Does anyone know his address?

Usually dwelling at a pub in Bondi,you know,the one with the tables cemented into the ground,so no one accidently tips them over, lol.

14 hours ago, openozy said:

Usually dwelling at a pub in Bondi,you know,the one with the tables cemented into the ground,so no one accidently tips them over, lol.

Haha, as to protect Maori Santa’s dignity. 

• Like 1

I like the idea of Maori Santa, that's great. In my elementary school we often had indigenous renditions of santa, and it was always different and therefore always interesting.

Santa Claus was invented by Coca-cola

Now, Father Christmas is a different matter ........  but he's British and doesnt go to America (or NZ).  No reason there shouldn't be a Maori equivalent though!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Essan said:

Santa Claus was invented by Coca-cola

Now, Father Christmas is a different matter ........  but he's British and doesnt go to America (or NZ).  No reason there shouldn't be a Maori equivalent though!

Yeah...nah, not really.

The red suit Santa had been around for almost 50 years prior to Coke's campaign.

St Nicholas has been depicted in various skin tones. But, skin tone isn't the issue, as Raethi shows.

This bicultural display really does look like some weird assimilation when juxtaposed with protests of cultural appropriation. And it sounds like it's stoking some Maori/Pakeha conflict. There's other ethnicities in NZ isn't there?

Furthermore, can't cultural traditions of gift giving stand on their own integrity?