Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
UM-Bot

China to venture to the far side of the Moon

34 posts in this topic

Myles
1 hour ago, Peter B said:

Well, for one thing (hastily consulting Wikipedia because the news articles weren't clear exactly where it landed) it landed at one of the deepest points on the surface of the Moon - in a crater inside the South Pole-Aitken basin, which is one of the largest impact sites on the Moon. That means there's a chance they might be able to sample rocks from the Moon's mantle, which in turn would provide a lot of information about both the inside of the Moon and the process of its formation.

Also, when the Chinese launched the relay spacecraft into lunar orbit, they also launched a couple of smaller spacecraft with equipment to scan space at very low frequencies, which apparently has never been done before. Who knows what discoveries may be made?

So, like the Voyager spacecraft, I wouldn't be surprised if the 'bang for buck' will be determined in retrospect by things scientists never expected to discover. And that's what makes these sorts of missions so exciting.

Good stuff.   You understood what I was getting at with my "bang for the buck" comment. 

An0n1m0us
On 1/3/2019 at 9:33 AM, Robotic Jew said:

are you suggesting there is a large population of aliens living near where this mission landed?

Whether it is extraterrestrials, or humans no probes from Earth have lasted in the attempts to investigate this side of the moon. 

RoofGardener
6 minutes ago, An0n1m0us said:

Whether it is extraterrestrials, or humans no probes from Earth have lasted in the attempts to investigate this side of the moon. 

Umm... that seems a strange comment ? I don't believe any probes have been SENT to monitor the dark side of the moon with the intent to "last" ? 

An0n1m0us
2 minutes ago, RoofGardener said:

Umm... that seems a strange comment ? I don't believe any probes have been SENT to monitor the dark side of the moon with the intent to "last" ? 

Their intent is to explore. The rover will come upon some software or mechanical issues before long, or at least that's the way it will be stated in the media. 

Waspie_Dwarf
3 hours ago, RoofGardener said:

Correct. An)n1m)us is just spewing random, untrue, nonsense. I suggest the best course of action is to simply ignore his silliness.

• Like 1

Peter B
3 hours ago, An0n1m0us said:

Their intent is to explore. The rover will come upon some software or mechanical issues before long, or at least that's the way it will be stated in the media. 

Ah, the prediction which can't fail...

Yes, the rover will fail at some point, and regardless of when it is you'll be able to congratulate yourself.

And there really aren't any other ways for a mechanical device controlled by software to fail, are there?

Nzo

I hope that that little rover has a weapon if it somehow runs into Christof. Hate that guy, I hope he gets his!

gadfly21
On 1/5/2019 at 2:39 AM, An0n1m0us said:

Was looking through a list of Moon craft sent there and several craft crashed there after orbiting but no planned landers. The craft China sent before in Change 3 landed up on the north area of Mare Imbrium, not the far side. North of Apollo 15?  I thought the Jade Rabbit rover was a success? This one is like it, except on the south far side with a relay. This little rover is near the Lunar South Pole where several orbital craft of the last 10 years have observed water ice in crater areas.  Probably a good place to explore?

Nothing anomalous or unusual about that. What would be weird and terrifying is if someway somehow the old wrecked craft of the Soviet Luniks, Ranger 4, or Apollo era  crashed Lunar Orbiters  crashed on the far side suddenly started transmitting again like something had activated them! I bet that would sincerely freak a bunch of peoples out!

TripGun

I hope they don't get the idea to have a moon rover drag a shovel around to create a giant communist star in sky.