Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Aaron2016

Rediscovering Your Childhood Memories

4 posts in this topic

Aaron2016

For many years I could not remember anything about my early childhood memories.  A random image would flash in my mind e.g. a toy train, or a red pram buggy, but nothing greater than that.  I tried watching vintage cartoons, but still nothing would jog my memory.  I even went through my family album photos and still I could not remember anything in those photos.  I just assumed that I was too young to remember any of it, and for many years I accepted that my earliest memories were my first years in school, and nothing before that.  However just yesterday I found an old TV recording of a WWF match with familiar characters such as the Undertaker, Shawn Michaels, Razor Ramon, and Bret the Hitman Hart.  I had completely forgotten about that show and those characters.  Almost instantly the memories of my early childhood came flooding back.  I remember now that we had satellite television for a short period and I could not be dragged away from watching that show.

I now remember exactly what happened during those years like it was yesterday.  Even down to the taste of the food I ate and the conversations I had.  I watched several old WWF matches on youtube today that were almost 30 years old and I knew exactly what they were going to say, and what was going to happen in those matches right before it happened.  It's funny how I just completely accessed an entire chapter of my life that I had no previous memory of.  Thanks to that show I feel like I have unlocked my childhood memories and those years have been given back to me.  It's kind of hard to describe, but it feels like I have found the last jigsaw piece to my past and it fits perfectly and now I can remember my childhood with incredible detail.  It really feels just like being reunited with a long lost family.  Great feeling.

Have you ever experienced something like this and accessed long lost memories that you never realized you had?

and then

Not here.  My earliest memories are definitely sparse and sepia-toned.  I guess if someone began speaking of a time when we were together, it might dredge up more detail but who knows?  One thing I do know from experience is that things we think we remember with "perfect clarity" tend to be wrong on some details, most of the time.  That's my experience, anyway.  I'd love to be able to remember those times in a more accurate way!  :) 

• Like 1

freetoroam
1 hour ago, Aaron2016 said:

It's funny how I just completely accessed an entire chapter of my life that I had no previous memory of.

Its not really, you remember it because something jogged it. 

But as andthen has pointed out, 

27 minutes ago, and then said:

One thing I do know from experience is that things we think we remember with "perfect clarity" tend to be wrong on some details,

This is true. ^

So although you have been reminded of this, it does not mean the details are exact. The fact you say you remember the food and conversation and the other details, is an indication you have spent time thinking about it as the event was jogged, but this thinking period is also where you fill in the blanks to recreate the time. 

I can recall clips too, to try to make sense of it, we try to create the picture and this is where we fill it in,  but if you could actually go back to that time, you will very likely find your memory is not fully accurate.

I would say this childhood memory  story happens to most of us at some time.

Wickian

My first memories are short and sporadic.  I remember crawling underneath a blue flannel cover.  I remember running around a corner in one of those baby walking-roller things, I remember many other small flashes, but then my "true" memory stream started around age 5.