Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Travis Walton.

Newfrance

9 minutes ago, Myles said:

You are absolutely wrong with these comments.  

I believe there is life out there.   I would go as far as saying I am certain of it.  

yep, me too

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

One of the issues that is often overlooked in all of this is the contract under which the group was working. Contracts often have a late penalty built into them to force the company providing the service to be timely. In this case the penalty clause was coming into enforcement in 5 days. Travis and his friends were all about to feel the cost of that penalty clause. A strong motivation for faking an abduction was to do something that would create an environment that extended the date on which the penalty clause went into effect.

• The topic was locked
  • The topic was unlocked

Thread cleaned

Enough with the bickering and personal attacks please - comments should be kept civil and constructive.

Thank you.

• Thanks 1

I think Travis Walton is a fraud. His only backing is the anecdotes told by his coworkers.

I was reading about his TV show appearance in which he was blindsided.

https://www.skeptic.com/eskeptic/12-08-15/

Now, 33 years later, Walton was once again in the polygraph hot seat. His affirmative answer to my question passed the truth test, because of course Walton believes he has evidence in the form of his friends’ corroborative story. The next question, for $100,000, was refreshingly straight-forward: “Were you abducted by a UFO on November 5, 1975.” Without hesitation he barked “Yes.” The voice in the sky once again boomed: “That answer is…”

False.” I couldn’t believe it. Neither could Walton, whose jaw dropped faster than a crashed flying saucer. At last, after a bestselling book and popular film about his abduction, Fire in the Sky, after countless UFO conferences and media appearances, it took a Fox reality television show to bring the case to a head. What does this mean? To be fair and balanced (!), possibly nothing, because the polygraph test is unreliable. 

There is an interview he did with Shermer in which Shermer suggests Walton hinted at the abduction story being nothing but a tall yarn. I'll see if I can find it.

• Like 1

I ran into this item. It is full of misspellings, but is fairly interesting.

http://ufomedia.blogspot.com/2010/07/sherifs-nephew-claims-travis-walton.html

Travis Walton will tell you in his book " The Walton Expirience " that he passed a lie ditector test twice and so did all of his co-workers, what he doesn't say in there are the questions that were asked to him and his co-workers, my uncle saw the questions that were being asked, like did you see lights in the sky, did a light come upon you, did a light follow you in the truck, those are the questions that were aske to Travis Walton and his co-workers so he wasn't lying about what he was saying

And later it states

when my Uncle Sank was retired he told my Uncles and my dad that they new Travis was in Concho after the fact but there was alot of man power spent on trying to find him for the week he was gone and there was alot of money being brought into the community about the whole ordeal so they just let it be

The second hand account is that the police learned later that Walton was not lost, but hiding out.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, stereologist said:

The second hand account is that the police learned later that Walton was not lost, but hiding out.

Holy hell im still seeing red and white stripes 5 minutes after trying to read that

• Like 1

2 hours ago, stereologist said:

Given what we know (the family were "repeaters," Travis and his brother wanted to be abducted, the logging contract and the potential fines for not finishing on time, the lack of any physical evidence (artifacts taken from the craft, implants that indisputably are of alien origin, etc.), the polygraph fiascoes, ad infinitum), it's pretty logical to conclude this whole thing is a hoax.

• Like 3

There are certainly faults to Walton.

Let's not forget he had other witnesses that passed a lie detector test.  This issue has pluses and minuses. Not clear cut

You would think one of his friends would have cracked by now.

4 minutes ago, Earl.Of.Trumps said:

Thats a point that skeptics are constantly missing. (mildly off topic) There is just about as much of a chance for your 15 minutes of fame and to make a couple of bucks by claiming to know that something is a hoax as there is in actually perpetrating a hoax.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Farmer77 said:

Thats a point that skeptics are constantly missing. (mildly off topic) There is just about as much of a chance for your 15 minutes of fame and to make a couple of bucks by claiming to know that something is a hoax as there is in actually perpetrating a hoax.

Good point!  Like skepticblog.com or skeptic.com. These people HAVE to produce articles and they are committed to showing only the negative or skeptical side of the issue

• Like 1

The simple fact of the matter is that all we have here is a story and a pretty bad one at that. 

Walton relies on his buddies to back up his tall tale. He relies on lie detectors to back up his tale.

Lie detectors are unreliable. The first test he passed asked simple questions which he could pass. Later testing showed he was being deceptive.

If people like bad fiction then this is a tale that fits that category. 

Just like the "Skippy the Horse" tale, it took skeptics that investigate (instead of guzzling the tale without a thought) to find the glaring holes in the story. They found out how bad the lie detector test was that Walton crows about. They turned up the penalty clause. They found that no family members were concerned about the supposed abduction. They found out that Travis and his brother wanted to be abducted. Had it not been for the skeptics none of these pertinent aspects of the situation would have been investigated. 

Believers don't care about evidence. They just want to believe.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Earl.Of.Trumps said:

There are certainly faults to Walton.

Let's not forget he had other witnesses that passed a lie detector test.  This issue has pluses and minuses. Not clear cut

The polygraph tests on the crew were part of an investigation into whether, or not, they were responsible for Walton's disappearance - ie, murder.

Furthermore, it's not necessary for all crew to be aware of the hoax. In fact, it's preferable to carry it out on a needs to know basis.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, stereologist said:

The simple fact of the matter is that all we have here is a story and a pretty bad one at that. 

Walton relies on his buddies to back up his tall tale. He relies on lie detectors to back up his tale.

Lie detectors are unreliable. The first test he passed asked simple questions which he could pass. Later testing showed he was being deceptive.

If people like bad fiction then this is a tale that fits that category. 

Just like the "Skippy the Horse" tale, it took skeptics that investigate (instead of guzzling the tale without a thought) to find the glaring holes in the story. They found out how bad the lie detector test was that Walton crows about. They turned up the penalty clause. They found that no family members were concerned about the supposed abduction. They found out that Travis and his brother wanted to be abducted. Had it not been for the skeptics none of these pertinent aspects of the situation would have been investigated. 

Believers don't care about evidence. They just want to believe.

Walton's very first test indicated he was grossly deceptive.

The test he passed, where he dictated the questions to be asked, included an answer which is known to be false.

... Also, Pfeiffer was relatively inexperienced, having been practicing only two years. This inexperience expressed itself when he judged Walton's "No" answer to the question "Before November 5, 1975, were you a UFO buff?" to be truthful. Walton's answer directly contradicted information provided by both his mother and brother Duane and by Walton himself during an earlier psychological examination.

https://www.debunker.com/texts/walton.html

• Like 1

On 1/21/2019 at 3:29 PM, BuddingPsychic1111 said:

It's difficult to describe in terms of three dimensional space.  They often travel to Earth through the use of wormholes and use teleportation, and they are capable of transcending three dimensional space.  In fact, on one occasion, entities actually materialized in my room.  And they dematerialized before my very eyes!  They're capable of teleporting from one location to another in the blink of an eye.  Sometimes, that's how it is for me.  I'll be just going about my business, and then all of a sudden one just appears, either standing next to my bed.  Or standing behind me at some random time.  And the next thing I know, I lose track of time.  And have no idea what happened for several hours.  It's bizarre.  They appear to be capable of interdimensional travel, and it is difficult for me to ascertain what direction they came from.  

Hey Bud.. did your alien mates come down and take you again.. I remember you posting a couple of weeks ago.. you had a feeling that they were coming to grab you again..