Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Maria De Jesus the "Beast Woman" of Brazil

Razumov

HQz3upI.png

Her photos go around the internet. Because she is of interest to my Zermatic researches I have tried to track her down without much luck.

The original source is a Brazilian newspaper or magazine from the 1970s, most likely in Portuguese. Somewhere, in a library archive or even on the Brazilian internet is the original story. Without the original source located and translated, a real investigation is stalled. Until then here are the clues:

The photos with various stories were reprinted in:

The World's Most Fantastic Freaks

https://books.google.com/books?id=lddNAAAAYAAJ&dq=editions:gaOhE6BDHP4C

HQz3rwy.jpg

Spaceships of Prehistory by Peter Kolosimo, which appears to be the source of the internet copy pasta in English.

https://archive.org/details/spaceshipsinpreh00pet_rws

HQz2fhD.jpg

HQz2vHt.png

HQz31WA.png

Szukalski drew her as "Mary Lima of Peru"

HQz2AQg.jpg

More Internet stories:

It is unclear where she came from, but she was living with a woman who cared for her. She ate only raw meat and never learned to speak. She had a mane of hair down her back. She did not like sunlight and could see in the dark. She was photographed by journalists, and then examined by a professor of pathology who said she was some kind of evolutionary regression. Then the American scientists came and took her away. Later the whole family disappeared.

This Brazilian professor of pathology existed, and was at the university of Minas Gerais at the time. He had an extensive career and is about the best witness you could hope for in such a case:

https://web.archive.org/web/20131026101434/http://professorjoaodefreitas.com/index.html

Some of the photos look like they might have come from a medical examination. Whatever the source her condition, a professional pathologists who is a university professor would document the case, and he would archive it. Prof might also have published something about the case in a medical or scientific journal, or in one of his books in Portuguese.

There are probably more stories and photos to be found on the Portuguese and Spanish paranormal internet, and possibly the name of the original source. Yandex and Google both translate Portuguese. All you find on the English internet is Kolosimo copy pasta.

3 hours ago, jaylemurph said:

Don't you feel even a twinge of schadenfreude re-posting something that compares someone with a clear genetic disorder

I told him that in another thread. She probably had a broken chromosome and is definitely missing over 27 genes.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Possibly had Williams Syndrome - from https://quizlet.com/12827592/genetic-syndromes-flash-cards/

elfin-face syndrome-resemblance of a face of an elf
-small boned and short, long upper lip, wide mouth, full lips, small chin, upturned nose, puffiness around the eyes.
-IQ between 50 and 70
-charming personality, unafraid of strangers
-narrowed pulmonary arteries

Many of the "feral children" seem to be autistic spectrum or otherwise mentally disabled individuals who have been abandoned by their families.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, jaylemurph said:

Don't you feel even a twinge of schadenfreude re-posting something that compares someone with a clear genetic disorder

Evidence?

I am perfectly willing to accept that she has a disease but I need the following:

-Name of the disease

-Photos of people with the disease that resemble her

Skeptics will automatically and without looking at anything tell me she has a disease, followed by a stern moral lecture about how I am abusing a disabled person.

You are so special, but this is just an endless supply of false negatives, and just as unreliable and meaningless as kookery.

17 hours ago, jaylemurph said:

/Real/ scholars have to go through training about how to carry out responsible, respectful research on/with real people and submit paperwork confirming their subjects understand the purpose, methodology

You mean like the pathology professor?

What I am mainly looking for is his evidence in the case. You couldn't special plead for anything more scientific.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Alien Origins said:

I saw something about this on another site. Will see if I can find it and post it here.

Thanks!

13 hours ago, Piney said:

I told him that in another thread. She probably had a broken chromosome and is definitely missing over 27 genes.

Evidence?

How did you know it was over 27?

58 minutes ago, Razumov said:

Evidence?

How did you know it was over 27?

I'm only missing 12 and I have pointed ears, yellow eyes and use to have sharp teeth.

27 is Williams Syndrome. Google some pics and have a look. They were the "changelings" of legend.  For her to be that feral and have those kind of mutations she had to be over the Williams spectrum. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Piney said:

27 is Williams Syndrome. Google some pics and have a look. They were the "changelings" of legend.  For her to be that feral and have those kind of mutations she had to be over the Williams spectrum.

None of the photos look like her and the Wiki description doesn't resemble her at all.

You skeptics will always and every time tell me "she has a disease", but this is just and endless false negative that means nothing.

Arguably, there are similarities to Williams Syndrome - heavy lids, wide mouth, big eyes ... could it be possible the poor girl had Down’s syndrome as well as Williams? 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, oldrover said:

This was squalid on the FT, it's squalid here. Surely this is unacceptable. 

Burn the heretic since you can't win the argument!

21 minutes ago, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

Arguably, there are similarities to Williams Syndrome - heavy lids, wide mouth, big eyes ... could it be possible the poor girl had Down’s syndrome as well as Williams? 

And some disease that causes a mane of hair down the back, do you have one of those?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Razumov said:

And some disease that causes a mane of hair down the back, do you have one of those?

Excess testosterone. 

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Razumov said:

Burn the heretic since you can't win the argument!

No, it's just distasteful crap. I won't be opening your PM either. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I feel sorry for the girl, because I think she’s the product of a very shallow gene pool dumping a metric tonne of genetic disorders upon her. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Razumov said:

It's all the same disorder. Not a disease. A broken chromosome and missing genetic material. The amount and type of missing genetic material determines the traits. Excessive hair growth is one of the traits. Not necessarily the neck. Sometimes the hands and face. The unibrow is a mild instance that we all have. 

I'm one of the "monsters" with very good doctors and I studied it in depth. 

• Like 8

55 minutes ago, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

I feel sorry for the girl, because I think she’s the product of a very shallow gene pool dumping a metric tonne of genetic disorders upon her. 

Like my people did to me. Which is what I've been trying to tell him.

• Like 2

On 12/7/2018 at 2:01 PM, Razumov said:

Evidence?

I am perfectly willing to accept that she has a disease but I need the following:

-Name of the disease

-Photos of people with the disease that resemble her

Several people provided that for you, and you turned your nose up at all of them because it wasn’t what you wanted  to hear. Do you have any background in medicine at all that your blanket refutation might have any worth?

Didn’t think so.

Skeptics will automatically and without looking at anything tell me she has a disease, followed by a stern moral lecture about how I am abusing a disabled petson?

Yes, because apparently you need precisely that. It’s not skeptic thing: it’s a not-being-a-piece-of-[redacted] thing not to mock the disabled, elderly or infirm. But apparently you need that concept explained to you.

You mean like the pathology professor?

If he ever actually existed. It’s telling the only thing a Google search brings up about him cites that same children’s book o’ mysteries. Chances are he’s either totally fictional or was the first likely name the author of that book could find and had no connexion to the case.

In any case, real pathologists are trained to respect the privacy of their patients. They conceal their identities (for living cases) in photographs and case histories. They don’t countenance this freak show style bull****.

What I am mainly looking for is his evidence in the case. You couldn't special plead for anything more scientific.

You’rs not a scientist. You’re not a doctor. You’re not a researcher. You’re not a scholar. You’re nosy, trying to use an academic framework to justify yourself without applying the standards and rigor that work really entails. And you’re doing that over a clearly ill person who deserves better. 

—Jaylemurph 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

Has anyone ever made a thread about that huge Chinese dude who was allegedly half Yeren?

Are there any genetic conditions that can explain his abnormally long limbs? Possibly Marfan Syndrome?

On ‎7‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 2:18 PM, Razumov said:

HQz3upI.png

Mick Jagger's twin sister in Brazil,bet she gets no satisfaction.