Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Hotel's dead son dummy 'horrifies' woman

Still Waters

Hotel staff created a "horrifying" effigy of a couple's dead son in a misguided attempt at a tribute.

Karen Baker had arranged for workers at a Jamaican resort to dress a room for friends Faye and Andrew Stephens, whose son Alex died in 2014.

Instead, she was left "sweating and shaking" when met by the sight of a body made out of clothes lying on the hotel bed.

TUI UK refunded the family for the "misunderstanding".

The Stephens, from Willesden, north-west London, have made an annual tradition of celebrating their son's birthday since his death, aged 22, in 2014.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-46475631

• Confused 4
  • Sad 1

Instead, they created the effigy, replete with tears on its face and a can of lager clutched in its hand, next to petals spelling out "We miss you Alex".

------

TUI UK refunded the family for the "misunderstanding".

Misunderstanding?  That is not what it was, this is pure and utter stupidity. How could anyone possibly think this would have been ok? Thinking obviously was not one of their strongest points.

This is actually quite sickening, the thing looks like  a big voodoo doll.

• Like 3

This looks like the most appalling, nasty  prank. Free holiday?!! I would want a lot more compensation than that if someone did this to me.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, ouija ouija said:

This looks like the most appalling, nasty  prank. Free holiday?!! I would want a lot more compensation than that if someone did this to me.

I do not believe it was a prank, someone actually thought it would be appropriate, based on this info

His godmother Ms Baker, from Hertfordshire, who was also on the trip, tipped two members of staff at the Royalton Jamaica Resort to secretly adorn the couple's bedroom with balloons and a cake.

Not sure how the voodoo style doll idea even entered their heads. :wacko:

Tbo, she should not have asked for anything,  its a very personal thing and  the couple do their own 'celebrations'.already. 

• Like 1

This is NOT "voodoo style", please. Voodoo dolls are about the size of your hand and come from European witchcraft practices, which got incorporated into hoodoo, a body of folklore and magic of the peasantry, poor, indentured servants and slaves in the West. Voodoo dolls have nothing to do with African Traditional Religions, truth be told. 

This is just a nasty thing to do to anyone.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Not A Rockstar said:

This is NOT "voodoo style", please. Voodoo dolls are about the size of your hand and come from European witchcraft practices, which got incorporated into hoodoo, a body of folklore and magic of the peasantry, poor, indentured servants and slaves in the West. Voodoo dolls have nothing to do with African Traditional Religions, truth be told. 

This is just a nasty thing to do to anyone.

I know its not a voodoo doll, i said voodoo style doll because it is hidious to look at.

1 minute ago, freetoroam said:

I know its not a voodoo doll, i said voodoo style doll because it is hidious to look at.

I am sorry my religion makes you think "hideous" :(. I mean that quite sincerely.

1 minute ago, Not A Rockstar said:

I am sorry my religion makes you think "hideous" :(. I mean that quite sincerely.

I am not concerned about your religion, i am just seeing that pic and it resembles a giant voodoo doll. 

I would have mentioned Ken or Barbie if it had resembled either of those, but it did not.

• Like 1

It is sick, though. I'd be furious to walk in and find a mock up of my deceased Dad laid out on a bed. It would take more than a refund to apologize for sure. Who even came up with the idea?!

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 12/8/2018 at 3:43 AM, XenoFish said:

That's all it takes to shake people up. A poorly made prop.:rolleyes:

You gotta wonder though, how could people think this was a good idea? 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, psyche101 said:

You gotta wonder though, how could people think this was a good idea? 

That's the problem, thinking.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

and a can of lager in his hand." 

The hotel should have completed the reenactment of his death by sending a couple staff up to throw it drunkenly off the balcony.

Now seriously, this entire thing is bizarre from beginning to end. So your adult son died 4 years ago and you go on vacation every year on the anniversary. Weird. And you ask whatever hotel you're going staying at to dress up the room for you in his memory. Weird. And the hotel actually goes through the extra trouble of creating an elaborate, if inappropriate, display. Weird. 

Weird request, weird fulfillment.

• Like 4

10 hours ago, The Caspian Hare said:

The hotel should have completed the reenactment of his death by sending a couple staff up to throw it drunkenly off the balcony.

Now seriously, this entire thing is bizarre from beginning to end. So your adult son died 4 years ago and you go on vacation every year on the anniversary. Weird. And you ask whatever hotel you're going staying at to dress up the room for you in his memory. Weird. And the hotel actually goes through the extra trouble of creating an elaborate, if inappropriate, display. Weird. 

Weird request, weird fulfillment.

It doesn't make sense. You'd figure normal folks would, I don't know, have a day of silence. 

• Like 1