Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Half of US adults have jailbird family

Eldorado

The study said that 113 million US adults have had an immediate family member incarcerated.

At the time of the research, 6.5 million adults said an immediate family member was currently in jail or prison.

One in seven adults have had a spouse incarcerated; one in eight have had a child locked up. And only one in four are ever able to visit an incarcerated family member.

There was no difference in incarceration rates along political lines, but the researchers did find that people of colour were most negatively impacted.

Full article: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-46471444

The Wild West?

• Like 1

If it is denting crime, that makes me think it would be Wild if they were all let out :(

Edited by Not A Rockstar
changed you to me. Jail only works for some stuff
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, Eldorado said:

The study said that 113 million US adults have had an immediate family member incarcerated.

No way.  Nobody I'm related to has ever been in prison and none of my friends that I know of have either.  Maybe it's because of my white privilege. :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

1 minute ago, Big Jim said:

Where is the outrage and protests about these people being separated from their families and put in cages?

There is outrage. But it doesn't get the proper amount of airtime because the people if effects are labeled as less important(ie: poor). Our prison/justice system is a joke. 

Minor non violent offences should rarely lead to time spent in a cell. The for profit nature of it all has made it one of the most corrupt institutions in America. A friend of mine once spent A YEAR in a county jail because he couldn't afford a lawyer and/or bail and he was arrested for possessing a small amount of marijuana during a traffic stop.

My fiance was arrested and was threatened with up to 10 years in jail because somebody STOLE HER ID and used it to pawn a gun illegally. We had to take out a loan to pay for a lawyer and within 2 weeks of hiring him the charges were dropped. We should never base what crimes are prosecuted by whether or not the person being accused of a crime has or can afford lawyer.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Robotic Jew said:

A friend of mine once spent A YEAR in a county jail because he couldn't afford a lawyer and/or bail and he was arrested for possessing a small amount of marijuana during a traffic stop.

I question weather your friend was being honest with you.

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, Eldorado said:

At the time of the research, 6.5 million adults said an immediate family member was currently in jail or prison.

One in seven adults have had a spouse incarcerated; one in eight have had a child locked up. And only one in four are ever able to visit an incarcerated family member.

There was no difference in incarceration rates along political lines, but the researchers did find that people of colour were most negatively impacted.

Full article: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-46471444

The Wild West?

The US isn't very free and all and in fact the US locks more people up then anywhere in the world.

500px-Prisoners_world_map_png2.png

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, OverSword said:

No way.  Nobody I'm related to has ever been in prison and none of my friends that I know of have either.  Maybe it's because of my white privilege. :D

Well about half of my family has been in so that prb makes up for you.:lol:

• Haha 4

3 minutes ago, OverSword said:

He was. He was a close friend with family that I knew. Had many conversations with them about what they were going through attempting to get a PD and everything.

There are a lot of minor crimes punished with jail that don't really need to be, and too often violent offenders are let out when they should just stay there, imo.

Speaking as a retired cop, the violent sorts need to stay off the streets, too many of them cannot be rehabilitated and it is a delusion in the first place that prison does that. The root causes of crime need more attention, but, that didn't happen and now the issues are so big, they may not be able to be addressed.

Then, you have a few who don't want it fixed, like things just the way they are and won't change anyway. As I saw on a news report last night on a vigil for a girl murdered by her boyfriend, one of her relatives cried and said, "Some people come here just wrong and do not want to even try to be any better."  There are some exactly that way in all social strata.

I want to believe we will get there, someday, but it is hard.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Just now, OverSword said:

i believe it, it happens pretty often, people spend months and sometimes years in jail, cuz no one bailed them out, and they are not eligible for a free  lawyer, since they have a job.

Man spent 5 months in Rikers Island jail because no one told him his bail was just $2

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2016/06/02/man-spent-5-months-in-jail-because-allegedly-no-one-told-him-his-bail-was-just-2/?utm_term=.4444536a48f2

Why a Delaware man spent 2 years in jail with no trial on 'relatively minor' charges

https://www.delawareonline.com/story/news/2018/05/25/man-spends-two-years-jail-no-trial-threat/644729002/

Edited by aztek
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, aztek said:

yep we do lock up more than anyone else, and there is no doubt, majority fully deserve it.

No...Most of it is for drug offences. I really don't think people should be locked up for doing drugs. Why should people be locked up for what they do to their own bodies?

https://www.bop.gov/about/statistics/statistics_inmate_offenses.jsp

• Like 4

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3969807/

This was a study from Sweden and it concerns violent crime.. Any of this apply to the US?

Results
A total of 93,642 individuals (3.9 %) had at least one violent conviction. The distribution of convictions was highly skewed; 24,342 persistent violent offenders (1.0 % of the total population) accounted for 63.2 % of all convictions. Persistence in violence was associated with male sex (OR 2.5), personality disorder (OR 2.3), violent crime conviction before age 19 (OR 2.0), drug-related offenses (OR 1.9), nonviolent criminality (OR 1.9), substance use disorder (OR 1.9), and major mental disorder (OR 1.3).

Conclusions
The majority of violent crimes are perpetrated by a small number of persistent violent offenders, typically males, characterized by early onset of violent criminality, substance abuse, personality disorders, and nonviolent criminality.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Truthseeker007 said:

No...Most of it is for drug offences.

and???? drug offenses can be very different, from simple possession, to trafficking and selling.

Just now, Tatetopa said:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3969807/

This was a study from Sweden and it concerns violent crime.. Any of this apply to the US?

Results
A total of 93,642 individuals (3.9 %) had at least one violent conviction. The distribution of convictions was highly skewed; 24,342 persistent violent offenders (1.0 % of the total population) accounted for 63.2 % of all convictions. Persistence in violence was associated with male sex (OR 2.5), personality disorder (OR 2.3), violent crime conviction before age 19 (OR 2.0), drug-related offenses (OR 1.9), nonviolent criminality (OR 1.9), substance use disorder (OR 1.9), and major mental disorder (OR 1.3).

Conclusions
The majority of violent crimes are perpetrated by a small number of persistent violent offenders, typically males, characterized by early onset of violent criminality, substance abuse, personality disorders, and nonviolent criminality.

i'm sure you can apply it to every single country

1 minute ago, aztek said:

and???? drug offenses can be very different, from simple possession, to trafficking and selling.

Well if all the drugs were made legal like alcohol the problem of selling and trafficking would go away mostly. There would still be a few trying to save a buck but how many people do you know selling alcohol illegally? it seems the US has learned nothing from prohibition. Since marijuana was illegal when I was growing up I could get it anytime I wanted in High School and even Middle School at a very cheap price.

• Like 1

World wide incarceration rates can be misleading as China executed ~1000 in 2016 and the U.S. executed 20.

But China is working on it as they executed ~12,000 in 2002. :wacko:

If a country removes it's offenders from the gene pool it has a tendency to reduce the prison population.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Buzz_Light_Year said:

World wide incarceration rates can be misleading as China executed ~1000 in 2016 and the U.S. executed 20.

But China is working on it as they executed ~12,000 in 2002. :wacko:

If a country removes it's offenders from the gene pool it has a tendency to reduce the prison population.

Well yea and you have some middle east countries that chop peoples hands off and things like that. I really don't see that flying in the US though.lol!!

Well if all the drugs were made legal like alcohol the problem of selling and trafficking would go away mostly. There would still be a few trying to save a buck but how many people do you know selling alcohol illegally? it seems the US has learned nothing from prohibition. Since marijuana was illegal when I was growing up I could get it anytime I wanted in High School and even Middle School at a very cheap price.

they actually learned a lot, that is why they made it illegal. what do you think the purpose of drug war is? to remove drugs?? not even close

Edited by aztek
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, aztek said:

they actually learned a lot, that is why they made it illegal. what do you think the purpose of drug war is? to remove drugs?? not even close

The drug war is a scam and especially when our own government is bringing the drugs in.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The drug war is a scam and especially when our own government is bringing the drugs in.

see now we getting somewhere.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Well if all the drugs were made legal like alcohol the problem of selling and trafficking would go away mostly.

yes, exactly. now you see what the purpose of drug war is

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, aztek said:

yes, exactly. now you see what the purpose of drug war is

The drug war doesn't make things legal. It just locks people up which again why their are so many people locked up in the US. The drug war does create a lot of jobs though so you have that.lol!!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, aztek said:

see now we getting somewhere.

You do know where most of the Heroine comes from don't you? One of the major reasons we are in Afghanistan and its wasn't to stop the production. Only to take it over.

• Like 6