Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

SETI search of 'Oumuamua comes up empty

UM-Bot

1 hour ago, acute said:

I'm slightly confused. (nothing new there)

I thought SETI was unfunded/defunded ages ago!

It was defunded by the federal government but has been operating on private funding and recently got a huge endowment by a private citizen

• Like 1

It doesn't look "intelligently constructed". Probably a chunk of debris from a planet that got whammed by a rogue planet or something.

• Like 1

I want it to be a spaceship too...But it probably isn't. You know what they say, extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Earl.Of.Trumps said:

It was defunded by the federal government but has been operating on private funding and recently got a huge endowment by a private citizen

Thanks for the info. I wasn't imagining it, then.

Maybe the parameters used in the search performed expects human like technology results. Besides there could be a variety of reasons the space ship, probe etc. Yeld no results. Could be electrical dead like a bottle in the ocean containing a message or simply doesn't want to be detected.

• Like 1

The radio search does give some useful information, but there are a few but's. Frequency range monitored was only a section of the radio band. If it used anything like Human radio tech then it might be using a radio dish to boost signal in one direction. This would significantly reduce the radio signal reaching earth and if it's communication method is not based on radio then there would be no signal to receive. 

So what you could say is the power and frequency of a possible radio transmission has been better defined and now exclude the power and frequency range (1 - 10 GHZ) observed.  

spectrum_graphic_web_updated_small_0.png

• Thanks 1

I decided to remove the small part of my comment that was posted here since the forum incorrectly removed everything after the quotation mark and I don't have time to rewrite it. It is a forum bug that has happened to me earlier as well.

Edited by fred_mc

45 minutes ago, fred_mc said:

I decided to remove the small part of my comment that was posted here since the forum incorrectly removed everything after the quotation mark and I don't have time to rewrite it. It is a forum bug that has happened to me earlier as well.

Or, could you be posting copyrighted materials??

48 minutes ago, Earl.Of.Trumps said:

Or, could you be posting copyrighted materials??

Nope, no copyrighted material, it was a quote that I made up myself, it seems like the quote mark somehow deletes everything afterwards when I do a reply to a topic on my phone.

• Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, micky 32 said:

But what was the main reason people thought it was artificial in the first place? A tumbling piece of rock.

It is an unusual shape, with a length to width ratio of maybe 10/1. There are no other asteroids, that have been observed, to have similar dimensions. Creating this shape by natural means is not impossible but the odds are lower than for a typical lump of space rock.

It's speed has changed by more than can be explained by gravity acting alone.

It's flight path through our solar system is unusually good for observing the inner planets and the chances of this path being random is statistically quite low for an intergalactic wanderer based on present assumptions. 

None of the above points are a smoking gun, and prove it is artificial, but it is unusual and is hard to put in an existing pigeon hole. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The object's change in speed and course seem the most significant facts. Efforts to explain these have been unconvincing. Comet-like outgassing was thought the most reasonable explanation, until it was realized that the necessary amount of thrust would very probably have markedly changed  the rotation rate of Oumuamua. The object was under observation; this did not occur. Absent any workable natural explanation, and given the object's odd, extremely elongated shape, and unexpectedly bright color, the presence of extraterrestrial intelligence isn't such an unreasonable proposition.     

Edited by bison
  • Like 1

@bison         bison, because an explanation is lacking, does not necessarily mean there isn't one. Hence, assuming an explanation because one is lacking is a little iffy. And, saying "isn't such an unreasonable proposition" on your cited evidence is dubious without looking at other evidences, such as, ET's traversing the galaxy in a space ship that looks like an asteroid, and at turtle speed to boot.

I'm  not assuming that ETs are responsible, only considering a possibility that many seem all too ready to dismiss. 

Even if Oumuamua were an artificial device, that doesn't necessarily mean that it contains any living beings. It could be some sort of automated probe.

As to what Oumuamua 'looks like' we have very limited information. It was never more than a speck of light to out best instruments. That made it possible to track variations in light output, hence form an idea of its shape and period of rotation. They also looked for infrared radiation, the lack of which indicated it was quite small, and so, given the amount of visible light it reflected, much brighter than the expected sort of natural object.

They were also able to obtain a spectrum. This indicated that Oumuamua was rather reddish, which is also the case with some asteroids. The sort of weathering, due to radiation in space, that accomplishes such reddening appears to be possible both in natural minerals and in refined metals, given very long-term exposures. 

Since Oumuamua has been invisible to us for some time, we really have no grounds for assuming that it continued at the same speed. It has already been established that it slowed less than expected during departure from the inner solar system, and while still under observation. This requires an additional source of thrust. For all we know, this thrust could have increased markedly, once the object was out of sight. It could be moving much faster and be much farther away than has been surmised.   

But what is there, that we actually know about Oumuamua, that makes an artificial explanation seem untenable? The pictures of the object as rough and rocky are merely artists' interpretations, based on the assumption that it is a natural object.  

Edited by bison

18 minutes ago, bison said:

But what is there, that we actually know about Oumuamua, that makes an artificial explanation seem untenable? The pictures of the object as rough and rocky are merely artists' interpretations, based on the assumption that it is a natural object.  

Well yeah, that's my point= why suggest it may not be a natural/ normal object? Where's the reasoning for that?

Though I must admit not thorough but I've searched Google & can't find anyone actually involved with SETI etc saying there are anomalies- it all seems to be just what the media is telling us....

Please correct me if I'm wrong

Plus= reading the article in the OP we're told:

At around the same time, the $100 million Breakthrough Listen project also attempted to find evidence of alien signals from 'Oumuamua using the Robert C. Byrd Green Bank Telescope in West Virginia.

So time, effort & no doubt money spent using this expensive equipment to see if a rock has intelligence of some description!? Really!?

Edited by Dejarma
  • Like 1

The reasons for thinking that Oumuamua might be an extraterrestrial spacecraft have been mentioned in this thread. Both the Breakthrough Listen Project and the SETI Institute made serious searches of the object Oumuamua, on the chance that it was an extraterrestrial spacecraft, and was emitting detectable, intelligent radio waves. They obviously thought the scientific grounds for doing so were sound, or they wouldn't have made the searches. The two links below, directly from those two organizations, confirm that this took place.

https://breakthroughinitiatives.org/news/15

https://www.seti.org/mysterious-space-rock-actually-alien-spaceship

I think that Picard just flushed out the captains log while passing Uranus.