Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Eerie lights spotted over North Carolina coast

UM-Bot

• The title was changed to Eerie lights spotted over North Carolina coast

Seems to me that if I were surf fishing and I saw those lights I would, at the very least, call the Coast Guard. While the may or may not be flares it seems the safe thing to do just in case.

Also, I wonder if there is footage of the lights beyond this given that he said they faded in and out for hours?

Edited for wrong word.

Edited by esoteric_toad
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, fred_mc said:

Interesting. A mirage of car headlights perhaps?

Yeah car headlights but not a mirage. If you Google Cape Lookout NC you can see the topographical layout of the area. Making car headlights suspect.

• Like 1

Yes. Car headlights usually levitate above the ocean and fade in and out just like that, way above and way below each other. Definitely car headlight mirage thing right there, no doubt. It's official.

• Haha 3

the reflections in the water look a bit suspect to me.. plus he said 'the little ones are back again'= personally i would have run for the camera as soon as i see then!

he doesn't sound very intrigued as if he knows what they really are- just filmed it because it looks good!

oh well, who really knows.. only he does-- & to be honest= who really cares;)

Aircraft landing at an airfield over there?, don't know where the video is taken... airfield on the other side of the bay maybe?

They look eerily the same as the two-lighted object as reported by an Irish pilot flying at altitude and from a dash cam at roughly the same time frame (another thread in here). two lights - either working in unison or both attached to the same rigid body. But the splitting up of the pair into another pair...? that's a new one. Weird.

The guy says, "Here they are again", only this time, he was prepared with his camera. And he kept his name out of it! SMART move. 

The outer banks has a lot of Military aircraft training all up and down the coast.. Navy, Marines, Coast guard and Air Force.. My guess would be flares. When he manages to hold the camera steady, you can place your mouse pointer on the lights and see slow downward motion.

• Like 1

@South Alabam   Yes, slow downward motion, but then the second pair go up. I doubt it's two perfectly synched pairs of flares.

My guess would be military helicopters on a night-OP mission.

A foo fighter in it's low-power mode, would look like a giant reddish-orange ball of plasma fire, and in it's high-power mode: a bluish-white plasma --- possibly in a rectangular shape.

The supplied video does not seem to visually indicate that it is a foo fighter --- though I could be wrong.

Edited by Erno86
added a word

Wonder if he caught anything.

• Like 3

Considering NC area is filled with Military personnel from a few different branches I'd assume this is just some type of military training exercise.

Edited by AllPossible
  • Like 1

They seem low, made me wonder if a couple boats out there had lighting for night fishing. 

Is there a photo taken from the same spot in daylight?

8 hours ago, Occams Razor said:

Yep would be helpful.. could be a bay and you see lights on the other side from car or airplane. 

8 hours ago, Occams Razor said:

Not sure that would prove much, OR. People in here suggest "flares" - from a boat, perhaps? So an empty ocean does not imply much.

But on "flairs", I think we can safely eliminate that as a solution. The first pair of lights we only saw when the video picked it up so we don't know how long they were there in total. It's the second pair of lights. They don't last long enough to possibly be flares. That - and the fact that they went up in perfect synchrony. How could that happen with one flare gun? 

So for me, "flares" is out.

Why would an alien race that had traveled the vast distances of space to reach our crappy little blue marble....need lights on the outside of their craft?

• Like 1

My first impression is of an oil derrick burning off excess methane. It looks exactly like that from the beach. But I don't have an explanation for the appearance of the second set of lights above while the lower ones are fading away. I've never seen that happen with a derrick. Makes me think flares. 

Edited by Calibeliever

On 12/9/2018 at 8:19 AM, Buzz_Light_Year said:

Yeah car headlights but not a mirage. If you Google Cape Lookout NC you can see the topographical layout of the area. Making car headlights suspect.

If he look west, It could be planes landing on cap Carteret marines corp airport its around 25km away west crossing the bay.

• Like 1

On 12/10/2018 at 11:12 AM, Robotic Jew said:

Why would an alien race that had traveled the vast distances of space to reach our crappy little blue marble....need lights on the outside of their craft?

By the same token, why would a military craft need lights on the outside of their craft?

Not to mention, the supposed military craft is not running with the red, green, white light arrangement as they should - sea craft or air craft.

Not having an answer to one's own question does not give one the poetic license to give disposition, IMO

Edited by Earl.Of.Trumps

37 minutes ago, Earl.Of.Trumps said:

By the same token, why would a military craft need lights on the outside of their craft?

Not to mention, the supposed military craft is not running with the red, green, white light arrangement as they should - sea craft or air craft.

Not having an answer to one's own question does not give one the poetic license to give disposition, IMO

That's not "The same token"

When the military conducts air or sea military exercises, there is much to be done before that can happen.

1) The areas for such exercises have long been specified and none are right off the beach in view of citizens. These areas are known and listed, I am sure.

2) The military must reserve a date for when the exercise area is reserved for military ONLY and put notification out there. The military must then notify sea and air pilots long  ahead of time of the no-travel restriction in that area

3) The Air Force and Coast Guard must work in tandem to make sure no errant naval or air ships enter the zone when the exercises are conducted.

That's a lot of preparing. 

One thing I would guarantee: There is NO SUCH military test area immediately off the coast of *anywhere*, including NC. Therefor the lack of the red/green/white light arrangement tells me this is no military craft - air or sea. And if it is a private craft - air or sea, they are doing it illegally. But I don't think it is a private craft, MO.

22 minutes ago, Earl.Of.Trumps said:

The areas for such exercises have long been specified and none are right off the beach in view of citizens

some are.. i've seen them..well, in the UK