Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Animal living in hot yellowstone pool?

Nnicolette

So I was just curious because this has always bothered me and i wanted to know if anyone has ever seen or heard of it. When i was younger i saw something moving in one of the hot water pools in yellowstone. I was told thats impossible and there is nothing living in there. But what i saw looked like dark manta shape swimming by under one of the oranger looking pools. It was out where you walk on the wooden walkway on top of a thin crust and there are openings to different colored pools around the walkway. It swam across the opening and back under the crust. This has always bugged me because i hear its impossible for something several feet across to live down there in that heat and have never heard of anyone else seeing one. Does anybody know what this might be?

• Like 1

I know there is microscopic life in places such as this but I've never heard of anything more than that. I've seen docs (blue planet I think it was) where there are creatures that live on and around volcanic vents deep in the ocean. That's a highly volatile habitat too so I guess in theory it wouldn't be totally impossible for something to live there but I would certainly think it extremely unlikely due to how inhospitable the environment is. Plus being as It's a relatively small area I can't imagine anything living there wouldn't have been discovered by this point. Maybe it was something in the water being moved by a current? Or a shadow of something flying overhead that was warped by the water to look more alive? 

Edited by Kingbadger2
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Kingbadger2 said:

I know there is microscopic life in places such as this but I've never heard of anything more than that. I've seen docs (blue planet I think it was) where there are creatures that live on and around volcanic vents deep in the ocean. That's a highly volatile habitat too so I guess in theory it wouldn't be totally impossible for something to live there but I would certainly think it extremely unlikely due to how inhospitable the environment is. Plus being as It's a relatively small area I can't imagine anything living there wouldn't have been discovered by this point. Maybe it was something in the water being moved by a current? Or a shadow of something flying overhead that was warped by the water to look more alive? 

That would also be my guess.

The only thing living in those springs are microbes, algae and bacteria, I can remember the name of the microbes, thermo(something) 

This reminded me of the toxic lakes where flamingos live, the water would strip the king from humans but they manage to flamingos thrive unaffected. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Iilaa'mpuul'xem said:

The only thing living in those springs are microbes, algae and bacteria, I can remember the name of the microbes, thermo(something)  

I believe thermophiles is the word you're looking for.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I only went back when I was a teenager. And I remember seeing birds dead in those pools. I thought they were, mostly, supposed to be near boiling. Or at least way too hot for most animals. Not sure what kind of fish could take that heat.

Edit: Also the colors come from the algae, I believe, and the temperature of the water can be roughly guessed by the colors. As different algae can withstand different temperatures.

Edited by DieChecker
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, Kingbadger2 said:

No. It was shaped like a manta ray and swam. Definitely no shadows out on the walkway. I dont think its likely or known about either thats why i posted. The area where it was has large hot dark pools that sit under the crust. I wouldnt by any means assume somebody would have found it or had any way to get to it if they did see. I just wanted to know if anyone else ever saw anything in there.

Thanks for the posts i already know those things tho and the unlikliness is the reason i posted it. Never could figure out how its possible but im telling you there is something in there.

Edited by Nnicolette

I've been to Yellowstone many times. The bacterial mats are well attached to the surfaces. An orange pool is a cooler pool.

https://www.livescience.com/55605-what-makes-yellowstone-hot-springs-colorful.html

In the orange band, which is a cooler 149 degrees F (65 degrees C), you'd find not only Synechococcus bacteria but also Chloroflexus bacteria, which also contain both chlorophyll, for photosynthesis, and the carrot-colored carotenoids. Two other bacteria that produce orange-colored mats, Phormidium and Oscillatoria, which are both found in Mammoth hot springs within Yellowstone.

These temperatures are too hot for larger life forms.

I wonder, is it possible that you were looking at a place where the hot springs poured into a cold water stream? It is possible at that interface for trout to be in the colder water.

Another life form that is not mentioned are maggots. The fly larva feed on the algal mats where the water flows in thin sheets over the rock surface.  The rangers typically do not point these out because people looking down feel a need to vandalize the site by writing their initials in the alga. If you ask a ranger they will help you find these creatures which do live in much cooler waters.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, stereologist said:

I've been to Yellowstone many times. The bacterial mats are well attached to the surfaces. An orange pool is a cooler pool.

https://www.livescience.com/55605-what-makes-yellowstone-hot-springs-colorful.html

These temperatures are too hot for larger life forms.

I wonder, is it possible that you were looking at a place where the hot springs poured into a cold water stream? It is possible at that interface for trout to be in the colder water.

Another life form that is not mentioned are maggots. The fly larva feed on the algal mats where the water flows in thin sheets over the rock surface.  The rangers typically do not point these out because people looking down feel a need to vandalize the site by writing their initials in the alga. If you ask a ranger they will help you find these creatures which do live in much cooler waters.

Oh wait you changed your post after i replied lol. It was an orangey pool, and i could see the object being a bacterial mat. It did appear pretty flat although moving quickly way down below the surface. It was dark colored compared to the water though, not orange at all. I am very familiar with trout fishing it wasnt a dish dor sure. More manta shaped.

No water stream. I wish i knew the name its the spot where there are darker pool accessible by a cat walk out on a pale blanched ground. The crust is thin and the pools go under it. I saw squirrels running across the thin crust but otherwise its just out in a  empty parched piece of dirt with no trees or brush directly near it. Whatever was drifting by down there was mucg bigger than a maggot. I just couldnt see anything around that could like like that if it fell into the pool and it moved by pretty quickly for a seamingly still pool but theres no telling how the current was moving or where the water was flowing down under the surface. I do know the nearby pools were different colors though which may mean they werent actually connected.

Edited by Nnicolette
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, Gaden said:

Could it have been a piece of trash or cloth swirling around?

Yes. Clothing drifting by would be a pretty reasonable fit. Hopefully no one had fallen under the crust into the hot pool prior or anything it is a pretty dangerous area.

2 hours ago, NicoletteS said:

Oh wait you changed your post after i replied lol. It was an orangey pool, and i could see the object being a bacterial mat. It did appear pretty flat although moving quickly way down below the surface. It was dark colored compared to the water though, not orange at all. I am very familiar with trout fishing it wasnt a dish dor sure. More manta shaped.

No water stream. I wish i knew the name its the spot where there are darker pool accessible by a cat walk out on a pale blanched ground. The crust is thin and the pools go under it. I saw squirrels running across the thin crust but otherwise its just out in a  empty parched piece of dirt with no trees or brush directly near it. Whatever was drifting by down there was mucg bigger than a maggot. I just couldnt see anything around that could like like that if it fell into the pool and it moved by pretty quickly for a seamingly still pool but theres no telling how the current was moving or where the water was flowing down under the surface. I do know the nearby pools were different colors though which may mean they werent actually connected.

I didn't change my post. No edit there.

A mat is not necessarily the same color top and bottom.

I mentioned the maggots to give an idea of the life that lives out there. There isn't much and certainly no large animals in the hot springs. Even the maggots as I mentioned are relegated to cooler areas.

The pools may appear to be still, but often are not. The water tends to be very clear making it seem still. There are few particles in it that are visible to show the turbulence that might exist. 

If you read the link you'd learn that the different colors are due to different temperatures. The change in colors across a pool are due to the different temperatures leading to different bacteria living in different places.

Anything that falls into these pools is quickly dissolved. It is a bath of hot acid that breaks down biological materials.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/man-confirmed-dead-after-fall-yellowstone-hot-spring-n588556

https://www.iflscience.com/environment/man-fell-yellowstone-hot-spring-completely-dissolved-day/

The victim was found dead and drifting around the pool later that day, but officials could not quite reach him to drag him out. A thunderstorm promptly arrived and forced them to retreat for the night. Returning the next day, they found that nothing of the man remained – except his wallet and his flip flops.

Maybe you saw the last remains of a piece of an animal that had fallen into a hot spring.

Nothing that large can exist in a Yellowstone pool. There are microbes, as others have stated, but there's no way you saw anything alive in there that was 50+ cm across.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Alright so people just keep spamming "theres nothing that size that can exist...." and its already old. Its really not what was asked since thats pretty well known and obviously what bothered her. Also the majority of posters in this board seem very close minded. Guess what they said about the ocean depths? The same thing "Nothing can survive that pressure/darkness" and around the vents? "Nothing can survive that heat/toxicity etc". And now you all are saying that and it just sounds kind of ignorant. Sure there are no documented animals of that nature but new animals are discovered every year arent they? It actually IS possible for some type of larger life form to have adapted to such a niche enviroment.  You probably witnessed some weird specialized fish. If youre really sure it was a fish i would send details of the story to some microbiologist or universities in the area and see if they might have the equipment to check it out? The problem and also probably the reason little would even be known about what lives down there is because it would require special equipment to look for something like that in those conditions. And since it would be expensive and not easy or very sensible its probably not been done often if ever so you could have very well seen something no one has discovered yet. It does happen and there are several well known animals today that were discovered and not really accepted out right. I think the platypus was one. I would do some more research and not listen too hard to the people on this board. Lots of shills and closed minded people. No one even really tried an explanation. Just regurgitated scientific facts that everyone already knows. Weve all seen planet earth guys.

• Like 3

On ‎12‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 8:42 AM, Podo said:

Nothing that large can exist in a Yellowstone pool. There are microbes, as others have stated, but there's no way you saw anything alive in there that was 50+ cm across.

Maybe not,what about a mass off smaller creatures in a colony that looked like one large animal.I'm still open to the chance of an unknown animal though.

• Like 1

It may have been an animal skin in the water. Next to bones, hides are usually one of the last things to rot away and are slightly impervious to acid. With the water movement, and the hide getting thinner from the acid I could see it being mistaken for a ray.

Hank

• Like 1

13 hours ago, sandman0021 said:

Alright so people just keep spamming "theres nothing that size that can exist...." and its already old. Its really not what was asked since thats pretty well known and obviously what bothered her. Also the majority of posters in this board seem very close minded. Guess what they said about the ocean depths? The same thing "Nothing can survive that pressure/darkness" and around the vents? "Nothing can survive that heat/toxicity etc". And now you all are saying that and it just sounds kind of ignorant. Sure there are no documented animals of that nature but new animals are discovered every year arent they? It actually IS possible for some type of larger life form to have adapted to such a niche enviroment.  You probably witnessed some weird specialized fish. If youre really sure it was a fish i would send details of the story to some microbiologist or universities in the area and see if they might have the equipment to check it out? The problem and also probably the reason little would even be known about what lives down there is because it would require special equipment to look for something like that in those conditions. And since it would be expensive and not easy or very sensible its probably not been done often if ever so you could have very well seen something no one has discovered yet. It does happen and there are several well known animals today that were discovered and not really accepted out right. I think the platypus was one. I would do some more research and not listen too hard to the people on this board. Lots of shills and closed minded people. No one even really tried an explanation. Just regurgitated scientific facts that everyone already knows. Weve all seen planet earth guys.

I think your post is wrong in many ways. 

You wrote "Guess what they said about the ocean depths? The same thing "Nothing can survive that pressure/darkness" and around the vents? "Nothing can survive that heat/toxicity etc"."

I say that is baloney and no one here stated any such thing. 

You follow up with this statement "And now you all are saying that and it just sounds kind of ignorant."

Who is saying that? When you begin with a falsehood it leads to nothing more than your own personal fantasy.

Now you say without evidence "It actually IS possible for some type of larger life form to have adapted to such a niche enviroment. " 

I bet you are going to go back to the vent systems as your evidence. So please show us one large animal living in an environment as hot as a thermal feature at Yellowstone. The best are worms that can withstand 175F which is cold by Yellowstone standards. The majority of the animals live in waters closer to 120F. This does not address the pH that is also important at Yellowstone.

You write "The problem and also probably the reason little would even be known about what lives down there is because it would require special equipment to look for something like that in those conditions." 

You seem not to know that they have investigated many of the features with equipment that lowers cameras into these features to see what is happening. There is equipment used every year to remove debris thrown in by nasty vandalizing tourists.

You make a guess "You probably witnessed some weird specialized fish." 

Seriously? You think there is a breeding population of fish that exists in a thermal feature that is unknown to the researchers? You think there is a fish that does not dissolve in waters hotter than the waters used by vent fish and a much lower pH? What is this fish eating? Is it eating the microbes without leaving any evidence of its feeding? There is a limited place for your fish to go. Not even the microbes can survive the lower waters. That is why the features are blue in the middle.

You write "I would do some more research and not listen too hard to the people on this board."

Maybe you should do some research and learn something. Your platypus suggestion is so off the mark and actually on t he humorous side. Learn about the difference between the vents and Yellowstone. Learn about the different extremophiles and just how much research is done at Yellowstone. You'll surprise yourself.

Your write "majority of posters in this board seem very close minded"

I challenge you to point out such posters. I think you are full of bluster and can't support that statement. So please name a poster and provide the evidence of being close minded. 

Frankly, I find that the posters throwing out the close minded card are almost always the close minded ones that refuse to examine the evidence.

• Like 4

12 hours ago, openozy said:

Maybe not,what about a mass off smaller creatures in a colony that looked like one large animal.I'm still open to the chance of an unknown animal though.

I was already thinking microbial mat. The problem is the mats tend to be well anchored to the surface of the rocks, which is why I suggested something drop into the water such as plant material or a partially dissolved animal.

• Like 1

I need to add a clarification to the Pompeii worm. These worms do no live in 175F water. They lie across a gradient of temperatures. Only their tails are in the hotter environment. Their heads are in the cooler surrounding waters. A Yellowstone pool that has no such gradient of cool and hot waters.

• Like 1

What a great thread, i do not believe i am close minded but i will ask for what i label scientific proof if you want to sell your theory to me, this thread isnt like that to me, the witness saw something weird and is researching it nothing closed minded there either.

i believe the witness saw something unusual i too have seen things i couldnt explain, memory can be an odd thing and i have to press the question are you ( the witness ) sure it was a swimming living creature, that part makes it hard to fit in as then we do need things like a breeding population and feeding source, i know little about yellowstone pools  sounds like the possibilty of it being a living creature is slim so i want to know what the heck was it?

Some things we know about BF: A species of ancient ape did exist, there were several versions of humans that evolved, the Neathrals  inter bred with modern days humans in the past, they were far more advanced then previously thought. Stories of BF go way back in Native history up tp present day as with explorers and early settlers & miners. Foot castings of prints, pictures & video's, eye witness accounts and strangely they are all virtually consistent.  Vast tracks of land that few travel  with an nocturnal manner and acute smell, hearing would give it a distinct advantage if it was avoiding contact. Reports lean to: they really hate canines, will kill deer for food, are curious about us, then they must have a sex drive that is very strong.

• Haha 1

Recently biological animals (primitive) were found living around in a lava Shute under water, thought by science to be impossible on two levels,  but they were also  silicon based, so what you say is I think possible.

On 12/22/2018 at 11:38 AM, CuCulaine said:

Some things we know about BF: A species of ancient ape did exist, there were several versions of humans that evolved, the Neathrals  inter bred with modern days humans in the past, they were far more advanced then previously thought. Stories of BF go way back in Native history up tp present day as with explorers and early settlers & miners. Foot castings of prints, pictures & video's, eye witness accounts and strangely they are all virtually consistent.  Vast tracks of land that few travel  with an nocturnal manner and acute smell, hearing would give it a distinct advantage if it was avoiding contact. Reports lean to: they really hate canines, will kill deer for food, are curious about us, then they must have a sex drive that is very strong.

The problem is that they are NOT "all virtually consistent".

The existent of an ancient ape is what ape? Which of many apes do you refer to?

You mention "Native history" yet these tales are anything but consistent.

The stories are anything but consistent.

Are the foot castings consistent? Are you lumping together the known fakes with those not shown to be fakes?

Vast tracks of land that few travel? Many reports are from well traveled locations that are not vast.

Now you make up all sorts of properties which are unknown such as your statements about being nocturnal, ability to smell or hear, hate canines, etc.

That is the state of BF, making up stories

23 hours ago, CuCulaine said:

Recently biological animals (primitive) were found living around in a lava Shute under water, thought by science to be impossible on two levels,  but they were also  silicon based, so what you say is I think possible.

Silicon based life? Oh please give us a link to this wonder.

To prove to me a bf track isnt fake you will have to shown me the foot that made it