Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

why don't eat onion and garlic, mushrooms ?

siddhikoli

Onions and garlic are botanical members of the alliaceous family (alliums) - along with leeks, chives and shallots.  

Edible mushrooms are the fleshy and edible fruit bodies of several species of macrofungi (fungi which bear fruiting structures that are large enough to be seen with the naked eye). They can appear either below ground (hypogeous) or above ground (epigeous) where they may be picked by hand

:) Vaishnavas - followers of Lord Vishnu, Rama and Krishna - like to only cook with foods from the sattvic category. These foods include fresh fruits, vegetables and herbs, dairy products, grains and legumes, and so on. Specifically, Vaisnavas do not like to cook with rajasic or tamasic foods because they are unfit to offer to the Deity.

In Bhagavad Gita

Text* 8: Foods dear to those in the mode of goodness increase the duration of life, purify one's existence and give strength, health, happiness and satisfaction. Such foods are juicy, fatty, wholesome, and pleasing to the heart.

Text* 9: Foods that are too bitter, too sour, salty, hot, pungent, dry and burning are dear to those in the mode of passion. Such foods cause distress, misery and disease.

23 minutes ago, narayan said:

Onions and garlic are botanical members of the alliaceous family (alliums) - along with leeks, chives and shallots.  

Edible mushrooms are the fleshy and edible fruit bodies of several species of macrofungi (fungi which bear fruiting structures that are large enough to be seen with the naked eye). They can appear either below ground (hypogeous) or above ground (epigeous) where they may be picked by hand

:) Vaishnavas - followers of Lord Vishnu, Rama and Krishna - like to only cook with foods from the sattvic category. These foods include fresh fruits, vegetables and herbs, dairy products, grains and legumes, and so on. Specifically, Vaisnavas do not like to cook with rajasic or tamasic foods because they are unfit to offer to the Deity.

In Bhagavad Gita

Text* 8: Foods dear to those in the mode of goodness increase the duration of life, purify one's existence and give strength, health, happiness and satisfaction. Such foods are juicy, fatty, wholesome, and pleasing to the heart.

Text* 9: Foods that are too bitter, too sour, salty, hot, pungent, dry and burning are dear to those in the mode of passion. Such foods cause distress, misery and disease.

So are sattvic foods those that are under Text 8, and rajasic and tamasic foods those that are under Text 9? How come mushrooms are one of the bad foods, are they considered too dry or pungent maybe? What about hot/chili peppers, or pungent warming spices like cinnamon or ginger, what are those considered?

I find food rules in religions kind of interesting.

25 minutes ago, narayan said:

These foods include fresh fruits, vegetables and herbs, dairy products, grains and legumes, and so on. Specifically, Vaisnavas do not like to cook with rajasic or tamasic foods because they are unfit to offer to the Deity.

You should eat to keep yourself healthy, not every one can eat dairy products, so a belief in a deity should not have anything to do with what you eat.

This kind of thinking is so old, it is a touch alarming to know this is still being practiced when we know so much more about the impacts nutrition has on our bodies and mind, and it has nothing to do with deities or the beliefs in them.

29 minutes ago, narayan said:

Edible mushrooms are the fleshy and edible fruit bodies of several species of macrofungi

What you must remember is we know what is edible because of all those who did not in the past. Gods have nothing to do with a persons nutrition and it is dangerous to ones health to think that way. You should eat what suits your body, not your belief in deities.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

57 minutes ago, narayan said:

I'm a 50 years old Native American and in better shape than most 20 years old and my cooking is so spicy it was listed as a WMD and national threat by the British Government and use to have Gurkha's running for ice cubes. 

I call superstitious nonsense on this. :yes:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 5

1 minute ago, rashore said:

So are sattvic foods those that are under Text 8, and rajasic and tamasic foods those that are under Text 9? How come mushrooms are one of the bad foods, are they considered too dry or pungent maybe? What about hot/chili peppers, or pungent warming spices like cinnamon or ginger, what are those considered?

I find food rules in religions kind of interesting.

sattvic diet -fresh, organic fruit and vegetables ,whole grains and nuts, dairy products such as milk and ghee,butter, cream ,beans and lentils plant-based oils,mildly sweet foods (natural, unrefined sugars), honey, molasses

low spicy such as cinnamon, basil, low spicy green and  red  chilli  like  Small Hot Peppers

or  Capsicum , coriander, ginger and turmeric ,Cardamom  ,Garam Masala - https://www.thespruceeats.com/what-is-garam-masala-995690 it is ok 

rajasic - Foods that are very hot, bitter, sour, dry, or salty and smelly  seafood  are rajasic.

tamasic foods - all meat, alcohol, tobacco, onions and garlic (sexual desire  lust)

,mushroom  grow in the dark and smell like fish (cooking)  ,fermented foods, such as vinegar. hight spicy barbaric method

ab166582f4a58bc8f11282dc557a38f2_1388745778.gif.496d173e2098260fe5f6142072e299d3.gif

8ac2f8c14e52ba4a29e465423448cbd7_1389622718.jpg

2 hours ago, narayan said:

Where is this research that spicy foods cause disease?

Edited by Rlyeh
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Someone please remind me, what century are we in? :blink:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Rlyeh said:

Where is this research that spicy foods cause disease?

spicy foods means fry  chicken ,noodle ,barbaric  etc 

i  am not eat too much spicy foods

i am eat low spicy foods and sattvic diet

some time  once day or  night without water 

like breatharian

sattvic diet -fresh, organic fruit and vegetables ,whole grains and nuts, dairy products such as milk and ghee,butter, cream ,beans and lentils plant-based oils,mildly sweet foods (natural, unrefined sugars), honey, molasses

low spicy such as cinnamon, basil, low spicy green and  red  chilli  like  Small Hot Peppers

Just now, narayan said:

spicy foods means fry  chicken ,noodle ,barbaric  etc 

Do I have to repeat myself? Where is this research that spicy foods cause disease?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Jodie.Lynne said:

I don't know anymore. Some kind of future-past thing. In a high tech world filled with outdated thinking. A few rational minds stand against the growing hordes. Coming soon.

Threads of Future Past.

Edited by XenoFish
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Rlyeh said:

Do I have to repeat myself? Where is this research that spicy foods cause disease?

spicy foods cause stomach disease Diarrhea !!!!!!!!!!! :angry:

Spicy seasoning is perhaps the most common source of food-induced diarrhea, especially if it's a strong spice that you're not used to. It irritates the stomach lining while it is digested. This causes gas, bloating, burning, and in many cases, diarrhea. Chili peppers and curry blends are common causes

10 minutes ago, Jodie.Lynne said:

The 21st (twenty-first) century is the current century of the Anno Domini era or Common Era, in accordance with the Gregorian calendar. It began on January 1, 2001, and will end on December 31, 2100. It is the first century of the 3rd millennium.

Just now, narayan said:

spicy foods cause stomach disease Diarrhea !!!!!!!!!!! :angry:

Spicy seasoning is perhaps the most common source of food-induced diarrhea, especially if it's a strong spice that you're not used to. It irritates the stomach lining while it is digested. This causes gas, bloating, burning, and in many cases, diarrhea. Chili peppers and curry blends are common causes

You're full of it.  Diarrhea is no more a disease as a painful foot is.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

Tabasco sauce. 

Hell, both.

I got some amazing ghost pepper sauce when I was down in Texas from this little shop. That bottle was gone in less than a week.

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Imaginarynumber1 said:

Hell, both.

I got some amazing ghost pepper sauce when I was down in Texas from this little shop. That bottle was gone in less than a week.

My wife loves spicy food. The hotter the better. I can only handle so much. 

Concerning the ideas presented in this thread, is that our knowledge of health and nutrition has grown tremendously since those text were written. Eat a diet that is good for your health. Something balanced. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

My wife loves spicy food. The hotter the better. I can only handle so much. 

Concerning the ideas presented in this thread, is that our knowledge of health and nutrition has grown tremendously since those text were written. Eat a diet that is good for your health. Something balanced. 

It's almost like the ideas written down hundreds if not thousands of years ago have turned out to be wrong .. hmm....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Imaginarynumber1 said:

It's almost like the ideas written down hundreds if not thousands of years ago have turned out to be wrong .. hmm....

Considering at that time medical knowledge was extremely limited. So in a way it is completely understandable. However, as I mentioned before, we've learned a lot since then. Some of us can handle spicy foods, others can not. There are those who unknowingly have intestinal issues and can not handle things like butter, milk, and certain veggies. 

In my case I can not handle anything with seeds or nuts. Too much milk products and I'm doing sprints to the throne. Same with greasy/heavy foods. Butter being one of them. Too much and I'm in "Hell". 

With that in mind we all have our own dietary needs. I do get the idea behind what the OP has presented. I personally think balance is better. Adding a little bit of spiciness to foods won't hurt.

Edited by XenoFish
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, narayan said:

As i mentioned before, not everyone can eat these, you must eat what suits you and although certain foods are considered healthy, they are not for everyone.

Where does your belief in your deity fall into this:

Nuts and peanuts can cause allergic reactions, which are sometimes severe. A severe reaction to nuts is called anaphylaxis and can be life-threatening.

https://patient.info/health/food-allergy-and-intolerance/nut-allergy

Milk allergy is an abnormal response by the body's immune system to milk and products containing milk. It's one of the most common food allergies in children

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/milk-allergy/symptoms-causes/syc-20375101

Lactose intolerance is a condition in which people have symptoms due to the decreased ability to digest lactose, a sugar found in dairy products

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lactose_intolerance

Today in the modern educated world we have a list of ingredients on products for those who aware on what they can or can not eat, bringing religious beliefs into a diet is ridiculous as well as dangerous.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, narayan said:

I’m more interested in this phrase “mode of passion.”  It seems that this is considered a negative.  Can you elaborate on how you define passion, and why it is a negative?  

PS.  Passion is also mentioned as a sin in the Bible.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, XenoFish said:

I think the dietary restrictions need a major update. Nutrition has come a long way since that stuff was written.

Yes...and I for one love me some pork ribs.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1