Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Human Rights Day

Amita

I guess the Mystery is not why many individuals & nations still ignore most of this aspirational document, but the fact that it was created & agreed to in 1948.  After the Preamble are 30 Articles:

Preamble

Whereas recognition of the inherent dignity and of the equal and inalienable rights of all members of the human family is the foundation of freedom, justice and peace in the world,

Whereas disregard and contempt for human rights have resulted in barbarous acts which have outraged the conscience of mankind, and the advent of a world in which human beings shall enjoy freedom of speech and belief and freedom from fear and want has been proclaimed as the highest aspiration of the common people,

Whereas it is essential, if man is not to be compelled to have recourse, as a last resort, to rebellion against tyranny and oppression, that human rights should be protected by the rule of law,

Whereas it is essential to promote the development of friendly relations between nations,

http://www.un.org/en/universal-declaration-human-rights/

Edited by Still Waters
Trimmed for length & source link added. The rest can be viewed in the source link.
  • Like 2

Human Rights are all very well. 

But only if they are juxtaposed with Human Responsibilities. ! 

• Like 3

In China everybody wants a house, a fridge and a car. They also do in India. And in Africa.

If they get it, we are doomed.

I know that's not what human rights is about, but if all countries act according to human rights, it is what will eventually happen.

19 hours ago, RoofGardener said:

This first Article sounds like a call for responsible living:

Article 1.  All human beings are born free and equal in dignity and rights. They are endowed with reason and conscience and should act towards one another in a spirit of brotherhood

3 hours ago, seanjo said:

Nature doesn't give rights. You earn rights with blood sweat and tears.

True, nature doesn't, but we did.

"Nature", by our own definition, does not include 'man'.

Eg.: If I want to experience 'nature', I don't go to a mall.

• Like 2

On 10/12/2018 at 6:45 PM, seanjo said:

We are part of nature, we have evolved in intelligence and use technology, but we are all still natural.

This HR bull**** is just another way to take stuff from people that have earned it and give to those that haven't.

Uhhh... doesn't article 17 protect against that?

On ‎09‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 8:42 PM, Amita said:

I guess the Mystery is not why many individuals & nations still ignore most of this aspirational document, but the fact that it was created & agreed to in 1948.  After the Preamble are 30 Articles:

Preamble

Whereas recognition of the inherent dignity and of the equal and inalienable rights of all members of the human family is the foundation of freedom, justice and peace in the world,

Whereas disregard and contempt for human rights have resulted in barbarous acts which have outraged the conscience of mankind, and the advent of a world in which human beings shall enjoy freedom of speech and belief and freedom from fear and want has been proclaimed as the highest aspiration of the common people,

Whereas it is essential, if man is not to be compelled to have recourse, as a last resort, to rebellion against tyranny and oppression, that human rights should be protected by the rule of law,

Whereas it is essential to promote the development of friendly relations between nations,

That isn't a treaty its standards for states to aspire too.

Putting idealism aside and replacing it with pragmatism then all states encounter situations in their daily activities where they have to violate the principles in that document. For instance the US used enhanced interrogation methods in the War on Terror.

There is no world government and those principles are not legal and binding.

16 minutes ago, RabidMongoose said:

That isn't a treaty its standards for states to aspire too.

Putting idealism aside and replacing it with pragmatism then all states encounter situations in their daily activities where they have to violate the principles in that document. For instance the US used enhanced interrogation methods in the War on Terror.

There is no world government and those principles are not legal and binding.

Of course, that is why I called it 'aspirational'; but not just for governments. The UDHR is a good guide for persons too.  

Here is a comment on the problems with it, but why it should still be not be dumped because of distortions foisted upon it:

https://www.thepublicdiscourse.com/2018/12/47365/

Some info from elsewhere:

While the rest of the world views Dec 10th as Human rights day , here in South Africa we celebrate Human Rights day as a public holiday on the 21st March in remembrance of the Sharpeville Massacre in the struggle against Apartheid.

Born from the terrible 1960 Sharpeville massacre and the struggle against apartheid, Human Rights Day is both a celebration of the rights of all citizens and a solemn remembrance of the suffering and sacrifice necessary to secure them. Today, the South African Bill of Rights ensures the right to human dignity, equality and freedom for all its citizens.

In recent years, Human Rights Day has been celebrated in many ways and has come to represent numerous causes. One of the most prominent celebrations is the Cape Town Festival, in which concerts, art displays and performances, youth workshops and other activities are held to promote tolerance and understanding among the many diverse peoples and cultures of Cape Town and South Africa. The government also sponsors parades to commemorate the events at Sharpeville, and prominent politicians offer speeches honoring the massacre’s many victims.

In addition to honoring the victims at Sharpeville, the many Human Rights Day celebrations celebrate the human rights enshrined in South Africa’s constitution. These hard-earned rights include the right to equality before the law, the right to inherent human dignity, the right to freedom of movement and residence, the right to language and culture, the right to peaceful protest and the right to life. In addition, some events are held to draw attention to current human rights concerns, such as racism, human trafficking and police brutality.

https://publicholidays.net.za/human-rights-day/

Info on the Sharpeville Massacre: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sharpeville_massacre

• Like 2

On 12/9/2018 at 6:45 PM, seanjo said:

Nature doesn't give rights. You earn rights with blood sweat and tears.

What you get with blood sweat and tears is not a right, by your definition there are no rights. .   It is just how much you can hold on to and for how long.  A right would be something acknowledged by your peers.  If you live in a society that recognizes your right to  keep most of what you acquire, you have rights.  If you live in a culture that believes it is acceptable for someone  to murder you and take whatever  they want of your possessions, then you sleep with one eye open and a hand on your gun and eventually someone will still get you.

If I agree to your right to accumulate and own property based on the reciprocal right you give me to do the same, that does no imply one of us has to feed the other, or that I can spend my days in leisure and expect you to house me.

On 12/9/2018 at 1:10 PM, RoofGardener said:

Is the corollary also true? 

Human Responsibilities are all very well.

But only if they are juxtaposed with Human Rights.!

On 12/9/2018 at 1:42 PM, sci-nerd said:

In China everybody wants a house, a fridge and a car. They also do in India. And in Africa.

If they get it, we are doomed.

I know that's not what human rights is about, but if all countries act according to human rights, it is what will eventually happen.

Kind of a problem isn't it?  They better be real efficient cars and fridges