Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Tubs of chocolate treats shrink 40% in 10yrs

Eldorado

The size of boxes of chocolates that are popular at Christmas have once again shrunk in size – but not in price.

Tubs of Quality Streets have fallen from 750g to 720g while Celebrations have gone down from 680g to 650g.

Despite containing an average of three less than previously the price is remaining at £5.

In 10 years Roses and Quality Street tins have fallen by 40 per cent while Celebrations have shrunk by a third.

Robert Opie from the Museum of Brands said: ‘Consumers are outraged by shrinkflation. These brands are trusted — we have grown up with them. They are part of our lives and particularly part of the tradition at Christmas.’

Read more: https://metro.co.uk/2018/12/10/celebrations-quality-street-roses-shrink-despite-price-staying-8226170/?

• Like 4
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 2

I don't buy these tubs anymore. They used to be good value, but not so much now.

Edited by acute
  • Like 2

They have been doing this for years. Oh yeah! 10 years.

They have done the same with cereals and 

They thought we would not notice, but what could we do about it, complaining has made no difference, they would put the price up instead.

What is wrong is when they advertise the price has not gone up or they are a good price, but do not mention that the contents have been reduced. 

• Like 7

This post is from my excellent trivia thread in Fun & Games:

"In the area of the world colloquially known as Rip-off Britain, a single Snickers bar had a weight of 62.5g. This was reduced to 58g in 2009, and to 48g in 2013."

So, basically, if you imagine things are getting smaller, you're not going crazy.

(Have you seen a CurlyWurly or Wagon Wheels lately? Unbefirkinlievable!)

Edited by acute
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

The same thing is happening in the US. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, susieice said:

Remember when you had to carefully open a bag of chips or they'd spill everywhere? I do. Now it's like "Hey thanks for the half bag of air."

• Like 4

2 hours ago, freetoroam said:

They have been doing this for years. Oh yeah! 10 years.

They have done the same with cereals and 

They thought we would not notice, but what could we do about it, complaining has made no difference, they would put the price up instead.

What is wrong is when they advertise the price has not gone up or they are a good price, but do not mention that the contents have been reduced. 

I knew it!!!!

I always swore that there was more cereal in these dam boxes when I was a kid. Now they empty out so fast.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Avalanche said:

Just like my clothes damn

Though this happen yearly.

3 hours ago, susieice said:

It's a world wide phenomena.

Ever notice how a pack of bacon is getting flatter and flatter?.

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, Likely Guy said:

Now that I have to put on glasses to read the weight to compare prices too. <_<

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Michelle said:

Now that I have to put on glasses to read the weight to compare prices too. <_<

Yeah, the printings also smaller! That's it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

Eventually, an All Day Breakfast will be a hungry person spending all day using a microscope to search for their food.

• Haha 6

Some things are getting smaller, some bigger. Goodies like holiday chocolates and bacon are getting smaller, while portion sizes on other things have gotten bigger. 

A smaller around here are tinned butter cookies. Royal Dansk. Grandma had them, and it was a big ole tin for cheap, and now I don’t ever see the big ones like that anymore. Smaller tins are available, but the smaller of those is more akin to what grandma payed for the big ones. I think the cordial cherries and turtles have less in them now too.

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, rashore said:

portion sizes on other things have gotten bigger. 

In Britain, our portion sizes have always been small, but it is beyond a joke now.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Likely Guy said:

Yeah, the printings also smaller! That's it.

I can actually prove that with a phone book...if anyone even knows what they are anymore. My mother did the coolest thing. She saved a phone book from the year I was born and I've kept it ever since I moved away from home. I love it! I think I might remember a place from my childhood and I can look it up. There is often no record of it on the internet. I can confirm I'm not getting senile and it did exist. :lol:

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Michelle said:

I can actually prove that with a phone book...if anyone even knows what they are anymore. My mother did the coolest thing. She saved a phone book from the year I was born and I've kept it ever since I moved away from home. I love it! I think I might remember a place from my childhood and I can look it up. There is often no record of it on the internet. I can confirm I'm not getting senile and it did exist. :lol:

Oh I agree with phone books. That isn't a case of:

"I remember when I was Trick-or-Treating and the snow was up to my knees."

"You were two and a half feet tall then, you idiot!"

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

I just googled "phone book" and it's some kind of Victorian landline database.

Pre-millennial stuff, before my time, obvs.

:whistle:

Edited by acute
  • Haha 6

2 minutes ago, acute said:

I just googled "phone book" and it's some kind of Victorian landline database.

Before my time, obvs.

:whistle:

We are not amused! :angry:

• Haha 6

You lose !

~

[00.03:25]

~

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Likely Guy said:

And I like bacon. But if they ever touch Cheeze Doodles, they'll be hell to pay!

• Haha 5

5 hours ago, acute said:

Eventually, an All Day Breakfast will be a hungry person spending all day using a microscope to search for their food.

Actually soup and salad bars over here are all you can eat. There's buffets like that too. Restaurant portions are still large enough to ensure I have leftovers to take home. It's packaged food that shrinks.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Earl.Of.Trumps said:

And I like bacon. But if they ever touch Cheeze Doodles, they'll be hell to pay!

5c0f95a689ae7_cheezdoodle.jpg.62a878862504ad09139b80d2ec7f52be.jpg

• Like 3