Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Deep Earth's "zombie" bacteria is a challenge

Eldorado

Scientists have drilled the seabed and sampled microorganisms in the subsurface to confirm that the Earth's pristine depths are home to a whole new world - and its size is mind-boggling.

Researchers with Deep Carbon Observatory, a global scientific programme studying the role of carbon in our planet, announced on Monday the results of 10-year collaboration that examined the size of the world hidden deep beneath our feet. While some of the findings had been disclosed earlier, it is only now that they have been pieced together.

The research team discovered that living organisms can be found at a record depth of 5km under the continents and 10.5km under the seabed. This life constitutes what they called a "subterranean Galapagos" — an ecosystem holding some 70% of the world's bacteria, including unusual and unknown creatures such as microbial life thriving at 121 degrees Celsius or "zombie bacteria", which can reproduce or live for millions to tens of millions of years.

Full article: https://sputniknews.com/science/201812111070577292-zombie-bacteria-deep-earth/

Article source:

"Barely living "zombie" bacteria and other forms of life constitute an immense amount of carbon deep within Earth's subsurface—245 to 385 times greater than the carbon mass of all humans on the surface, according to scientists nearing the end of a 10-year international collaboration to reveal Earth's innermost secrets."

Full report:https://deepcarbon.net/life-deep-earth-totals-15-23-billion-tonnes-carbon

Edited by Eldorado
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 3

And barely one Scientist was actually baffled ...

~

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

How are subsurface microorganisms 'zombies'?

Barely living is still living and barely dead is still dead, lol.

Edited by Seti42
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

56 minutes ago, Seti42 said:

How are subsurface microorganisms 'zombies'?

Barely living is still living and barely dead is still dead, lol.

Haha agreed. The article even states the microorganisms are thriving. Guess a title for the sake of click bait.

• Like 3

I thought this was obvious. If you ask the hopi even we emerged from under the ground. Also it confused me why this wasnt a main assumption when looking for life on mars. Surface is actually a much less hospitable place to be then under the ground for so many reasons.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, NicoletteS said:

If you ask the hopi even we emerged from under the ground.

The Hopi may have some sort of myth that "we" emerged from underground, but they could not have known anything about bacteria living in deep subsurface.  Just sayin'.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MisterMan said:

The Hopi may have some sort of myth that "we" emerged from underground, but they could not have known anything about bacteria living in deep subsurface.  Just sayin'.

I would be careful makimg assumptions. When speaking of history we cant always be sure what other people know. If someone really did climb up a tree to get out of the cave in the ground im sure they know plenty about whats in that cave. They also have a number of how many planets are seeded with humans. I think its about 187,000. Before that i couldn't concieve of how natives would even be aware of such a high number tbh. But we can never be aware of everything others have been aware of, only listen to thier stories and learn from it.

My point also wasn't about whether the hopi were aware of bacteria. It was that i personally find it more probable that subterranean life emerged before surface life. Its just obvious. From the ocean it surely seeped into there before it got up and walked out the water to put it simply. Surface is not as hospitable. Especially if it came from under water.

Edited by Nnicolette
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

5 hours ago, NicoletteS said:

I would be careful makimg assumptions. When speaking of history we cant always be sure what other people know. If someone really did climb up a tree to get out of the cave in the ground im sure they know plenty about whats in that cave. They also have a number of how many planets are seeded with humans. I think its about 187,000. Before that i couldn't concieve of how natives would even be aware of such a high number tbh. But we can never be aware of everything others have been aware of, only listen to thier stories and learn from it.

My point also wasn't about whether the hopi were aware of bacteria. It was that i personally find it more probable that subterranean life emerged before surface life. Its just obvious. From the ocean it surely seeped into there before it got up and walked out the water to put it simply. Surface is not as hospitable. Especially if it came from under water.

Wait...what?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

56 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

She was abducted by aliens. So she knows some stuff, gotta 160 IQ as well. 

Highly doubt that - ALL that.

Edited by moonman
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, XenoFish said:

Actually i tested a bit higher and i dont think they were aliens i think its people doing it but yeah laugh all you want :lol: doesnt change the facts. Also hardly relevant to hopi legends and the fact that the earth is full of life.

People get so hung up when i toss different ideas in there. In thier legends they have an exact number of how many planets they believe humans inhabit in this galaxy. From my recollection it was 187,000 something. When i refer to things like this im just pointing out that not all history is fake or unimportant. Myths like this come from somewhere and sometimes should be considered. Its ignorant to assume all other cultures are just lying about thier legends.

A high IQ means nothing if you can't do anything with it. Common sense is a better gage of actual intelligence. 

From what I've seen so far. Common sense is on the near extinct list. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, XenoFish said:

A high IQ means nothing if you can't do anything with it. Common sense is a better gage of actual intelligence. 

From what I've seen so far. Common sense is on the near extinct list. 

Do you expect me to do tricks for you? I have no use for gages.

I'm much more interested in the topic. Its led me to learn how fascinating eels are. They are subterranean creatures actually and travel through aquifers, mud and underground. They can take oxygen in through thier skin so they dont even have to breathe down there. They often appear in freshly dug wells from underground and also have the ability to climb over land. If they can do it imagine what's in the more cavernous areas down there.

Not too mention they travel the ocean to spawn and coordinate with groupers to hunt. Apparently they are very intelligent.

Aside from that though i dont see the sense in trying to explain why heavy denial of any and everything around you with no basis doesnt equate to common sense.

Edited by Nnicolette

• 1 year later...
On 9/22/2020 at 12:09 AM, kidagakash said:

This article makes no actual reference to zombies, implied or otherwise. Misleading title.

The research team discovered that living organisms can be found at a record depth of 5km under the continents and 10.5km under the seabed. This life constitutes what they called a "subterranean Galapagos" — an ecosystem holding some 70% of the world's bacteria, including unusual and unknown creatures such as microbial life thriving at 121 degrees Celsius or "zombie bacteria", which can reproduce or live for millions to tens of millions of years.

The above is from the first link.

Barely living “zombie” bacteria and other forms of life constitute an immense amount of carbon deep within Earth’s subsurface—245 to 385 times greater than the carbon mass of all humans on the surface, according to scientists nearing the end of a 10-year international collaboration to reveal Earth’s innermost secrets.

This is from the second. 

I don't think you even read either one of the links at all. 

I know I read the one at the bottom, I may have assumed that since it was "full article" that the other link was an abridged version of the same source and unnecessary. It is definitely an unprecedented discovery, and a fascinating mechanism for biological sustainability, and I'd call it wierd yes compared to what we're used to, but I am *really* particular about certain words, and the word zombie is something that died and became reanimated but is still dead. It's biological process is done. This definition is certainly up for debate in pop culture, and any word can be used, but I was hoping for a discovery that fit my particular preference for the use of the word zombie. Bacteria that could turn people into zombies would have fit the description, or I don't know lol. Like I said, I get real particular about words. I only implied that the title, to me, was misleading. I probably could have been more clear as to why. Interesting article, though,

Edited by kidagakash
addition. typos.

On 12/12/2018 at 12:15 PM, XenoFish said:

How is this even slightly related to any of the opinions I presented? Weirdo.

On 12/13/2018 at 11:22 AM, moonman said:

"My IQ is over 160!!!1!"

-thinks water filters are illegal-

Something isn't jiving here...

On the topic of "IQ testing" - IQ tests are a load of BS, especially ones found online.

https://www.medicaldaily.com/study-confirms-iq-tests-do-not-accurately-predict-intelligence-243971

You do realize that filters that remove fluoride ARE illegal where I live right? Not that any of this post is even sensible enough to elicit a response... And yes my iq test was 198 in the 5th grade, before the internet was as widely used for this type of thing. How do you find that relevant to anything whatsoever besides your own displayed mental inadequacies? Thinking you have a clue about my tests in school would be a pretty idiotic assumption requiring the usual level of random grasping at feeble ideas and using them to make assumptions to fit baseless narratives on UM. Tf does that have to do with you morons being too slow to comprehend Hopi myths and the obviousness of the underground of a semi-dry planet heavily bombarded by radiation being more hospitable that the surface? I also got a scholarship for getting nearly perfect science results in the star testing, so yes i am in the 99th percentile... Laughing about that hardly furthers your point about not being able to relate to the topic at hand and instead obsessing over the tidbits you think you know about me. Try reading a book for a change so you can actually add a meaningful comment for once... I dont know maybe one where you comprehend the topic for once instead of obsessing over me.

Edited by Nnicolette

36 minutes ago, Nnicolette said:

How is this even slightly related to any of the opinions I presented? Weirdo.

Why do you even care what I think? Plus that's a two year old comment. What the hell?

On 9/22/2020 at 5:09 AM, kidagakash said:

This article makes no actual reference to zombies, implied or otherwise. Misleading title.

Barely living "zombie" bacteria and other forms of life constitute an immense amount of carbon deep within Earth's subsurface......

https://deepcarbon.net/life-deep-earth-totals-15-23-billion-tonnes-carbon