Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

'Breatharian' claims he survives on air & sun

Still Waters

A pizza delivery man who calls himself a “breatharian” says he gets his nutrients from the air and the sun and doesn’t need food to survive.

Khai Ho, 38, from Birkenhead, Liverpool, claims he can live on just 100 calories a week and that mediation helps him stay healthy.

He says he would often refuse his mother’s meals as a child, and claims he has never felt hunger and food has never appealed to him.

Mr Ho, who weighs 13 stone, has adopted the Hindu belief of inedia – or breatharianism – which states that it is possible to survive without consuming food.

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/breatharian-pizza-delivery-man-claims-gets-nutrients-air-doesnt-need-food-live-145211987.html

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

Just now, acute said:

I bet a lot of pizzas go missing. :yes:

... or a bit of toppings here ... a pinch of crust there ...

GMTA :lol:

~

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Strictly speaking he's not a Breatharian, just someone who regularly fasts for months at a time(although that's still impressive). This is a subject that interests me very much because I have a sneaking suspicion that it is actually possible! I have a feeling it is possible to live on a 'homeopathic' dose of food/sun.

• Like 1

100 calories a week sounds more like a eating disorder to me.

People with ED "live" off that all the time, they don't claim they are surviving from the sun and water though.

• Like 2

What is really impressive about this guy is that he still takes a solid dump like clockwork each morning. 

That is the real mystery here. 

These stories are always the same, and never convincing. Unless there’s a good one I’m not aware of...

• Haha 1

Another one? Combined with flat Earthers, there are an outstanding amount of idiots on this planet. :rolleyes:

Edited by Echoes
  • Like 2

Only 3 months??? Nothing new here, move on people. Fasts lasting way more than that have been documented for decades, nothing shocking about it. Some people go over a year, and they are properly documented in peer-reviewed journals. Here's one for *yawns* "skeptics":
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2495396/
Next time they will say we can't control our autonomic functions and our immune system (or our endocrine system). Ya'll know which ones I'm talkin' about, they're the ones that get sick all the time and then play victim as though it weren't their fault (uhm.. choice).

Edited by Rolci

18 minutes ago, seanjo said:

No, it's not possible, your body uses calories all of the time, The largest figure I can find for fasting is around 40 days. This fella is cheating or lying.

Angus Barbieri (the guy that was the subject of the paper published in the National Center for Biotechnology Information I mentioned above) was even recognised by The Guinness Book of Records, for not eating anything for more than a year. Is this how thoroughly you usually do your research? 40 days was the best you found? How long did you spend researching before you came to your conclusion the guy in the article is "cheating or lying"?

Is this an impressive demonstration of mind over matter? Our bodies require a minimum number of calories to operate internal systems. If they don't get them from food, then they use internal reserves. I don't think "records" of months long fasts are factual.  If he wants to do something impressive, let him eat all the mentos he wants and heal someone with terminal cancer once a week. That would be admirable.

Edited by Tatetopa
typing stopped in the middle of a sentence. my error.

1 hour ago, Rolci said:

How could this be possible? One way is that he wasn't fasting at all - he wasn't under constant supervision, it says attending as out-patient.

He could have been eating the whole time. Unless the subject is under constant supervision, I'm not buying it. People lie all the time.

Edited by moonman

I missed that he was grossly obese - now it makes sense. Nothing shocking about that, just his body using all the energy it stored up.

Show me someone with a healthy weight do the same thing, and you might have something.

Edited by moonman

1 hour ago, moonman said:

How could this be possible? One way is that he wasn't fasting at all - he wasn't under constant supervision, it says attending as out-patient.

He could have been eating the whole time. Unless the subject is under constant supervision, I'm not buying it. People lie all the time.

5 minutes ago, seanjo said:

That Angus Barbieri was a fat git, that's a different kettle of fish. He must have eaten on the sly.

And how do they define "fasting" in this case?

Surely you realise that he was recognised to have done what he has done BECAUSE he was under constant checks and test, urine, blood, to make sure that he could not possible have eaten anything. Have you actually read the study? And yes, ha was fat. However, most breatharians are not. In fact, I know about dozens of breatharians and I do not recall one fat one. Ram Bahadur Bomjon for example is a skinny boy, was filmed for 96 hours non stop by Discovery Channel who made a docu on him. During that time he did not eat, did not drink, did not move. After all that time, he did not show any symptoms, no cracks on the skin, not even a dry mouth. He was practising Tummo yoga, the same method Wim Hof uses to control his immune system and his body temperature (among others). 10 years ago "his" methods were also not taken seriously by anyone, it took research and studies and articles published in peer-reviewed journals for him to be proven the real deal. All for what, I ask.

It's 2018. Yet people are still getting sick, catching colds, etc. For all those years skeptics were crying for "evidence". Now they have it. Do you think they started practising yoga as soon as they read the article? So what's the deal with all that demand for evidence. Whether it ever comes or not, imagine you have it. NOW WHAT? There is nothing you will start practising all of a sudden. Those that wanted the results have already started practising and have achieved what they wanted (or are on their way).

3 hours ago, Rolci said:

Next time they will say we can't control our autonomic functions and our immune system (or our endocrine system). Ya'll know which ones I'm talkin' about, they're the ones that get sick all the time and then play victim as though it weren't their fault (uhm.. choice).

Holy crap. I sincerely hope you're joking. I'm 'one of those' that you're talking about, and I could hardly be more ticked off by your callous comment. I do not 'play victim', and I have a legitimate endocrine disorder that pretty much leaves me bedridden. Every time I leave the house, I catch something due to my compromised immune system. I've been dealing with this for most of my life. I would LOVE to see you try to survive in my shoes, I truly would. Then see how well your BS works. If it were as simple as 'mind over matter', I wouldn't be in (greater) horrible pain every time I forget my medication. Saying that this is somehow my fault is horrible. Does a child ask to get sick? And stay sick? Screw you.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, Rolci said:

Angus Barbieri (the guy that was the subject of the paper published in the National Center for Biotechnology Information I mentioned above) was even recognised by The Guinness Book of Records, for not eating anything for more than a year. Is this how thoroughly you usually do your research? 40 days was the best you found? How long did you spend researching before you came to your conclusion the guy in the article is "cheating or lying"?

Angus lived on coffee, tea, soda and vitamins (whatever vitamins means in this case...). He lost close to 300 pounds. He was also being monitored as an out-patient; ie: he could have cheated here and there, and no one would have known. This also took place in the 1960's, no way to monitor him using any modern technology or methods.

• Like 1

Humans are capable of amazing things. Living on air, sun, water, and willpower alone isn't one of them. Period.

This breatharian crap is arguably more willfully ignorant than thinking the earth is flat, being anti vaccine, or believing Trump is an honest and good person.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bunzilla said:

Holy crap. I sincerely hope you're joking. I'm 'one of those' that you're talking about, and I could hardly be more ticked off by your callous comment. I do not 'play victim', and I have a legitimate endocrine disorder that pretty much leaves me bedridden. Every time I leave the house, I catch something due to my compromised immune system. I've been dealing with this for most of my life. I would LOVE to see you try to survive in my shoes, I truly would.

So you practised Tummo yoga for how long again? Sorry I must've missed it, if it was supposed to be implicit in your comment, can you be more explicit please?

Then see how well your BS works.

My BS? Excuse me, never did I claim anything to be mine. And that thing you are calling BS, is what everyone else calls hardcore science. As in the kind that gets reported in the world's most respected peer-reviewed journals like Nature. Yes, I can accept when some people call science bull****. But why you would attribute those findings to me, is what I am having a hard time with.

I do not 'play victim',

Saying that this is somehow my fault is horrible.

OK, you really lost me there. So are you saying that this is not your fault and you're a victim, or it's your fault and therefore you're not a victim? You seem to be contradicting yourself, or I'm misunderstanding something. Either you take responsibility and you take corrective action, or you evade responsibility and do nothing and play victim. You can't have it both ways. How old are you?

Edited by Rolci
  • Confused 1

16 hours ago, Rolci said:

OK, you really lost me there. So are you saying that this is not your fault and you're a victim, or it's your fault and therefore you're not a victim? You seem to be contradicting yourself, or I'm misunderstanding something. Either you take responsibility and you take corrective action, or you evade responsibility and do nothing and play victim. You can't have it both ways. How old are you?

Are you knowingly being obtuse? You've just stated in a previous post that people with immune disorders are just faking it or could change it if they wished. Get off your bias high horse. If curing immune disorders was that easy it would already be in practice. It is not. You know why? This so called 'hard evidence' you're spouting is anything but.

I'm honestly shocked that someone has the gall to say what you said and actually believes it to be true. Your statement was needlessly insulting to anyone with immune disorders and absolutely incorrect.

Edited by Unfortunately

2 hours ago, Unfortunately said:

Are you knowingly being obtuse? You've just stated in a previous post that people with immune disorders are just faking it or could change it if they wished. Get off your bias high horse. If curing immune disorders was that easy it would already be in practice. It is not. You know why? This so called 'hard evidence' you're spouting is anything but.

I'm honestly shocked that someone has the gall to say what you said and actually believes it to be true. Your statement was needlessly insulting to anyone with immune disorders and absolutely incorrect.

You are talking about stuff that's had the **** researched out of it. There is not much more left to research about it, even the brain scans have been done and the mechanism has been described in detail. Which you would know if you had done your research.

And what do you mean "it would already be in practice"? That's the whole point. It IS in practice and has been for thousands of years. It is only western medicine that has taken its time to catch up. And since the studies have been published it has also been gaining ground in the west. So much so that when someone shares their experiences no one is really surprised and it is not reported in news articles like the ones about breatharians, with titles including the word "claims". Because there are no claims here just the facts from the research and the experiences of those practising, all the old ones from before the research (yoga is hardly a modern phenomenon) and all the new ones from after. If you just look at all the comments on the documentaries you would normally expect the same as you get with breatharianism, 95% ridicule. What you see is, instead, 95% heartfelt sharing of successful personal experiences, despite initial disbelief. That alone is a measure of something surely, even if you are dumb enough to ignore all the research.

Or what did you mean it's not in practice? That when you go to the doctor, instead of giving you a useless prescription they don't tell you to go home and meditate? Like any amount of published studies would have that result. No doctor, not even one that has studied all the research papers and publications, would risk their careers by advising anyone with immune disorders to go home and do gtum-mo yoga, no matter what the studies have conclusively shown. And it's not their fault, they dare not tell you to do the right thing not because of lack of evidence, but because of the fear of ridicule by ignorant people like yourself who are still unaccepting of that which has been proven, because they're stuck in 1960. (Although gtum-mo  was shown to give you voluntary control over your body temperature as early as the 60s). And what kind of logic says that something is true not when respected peer-reviewed journals publish their studies confirming that it is but when it is put into practise (whatever that's supposed to mean) anyway?

Ultimately, like I said earlier, these studies do not make a whole lot of difference, as can be seen from the examples of the likes of yourself. Now you have the evidence you have been "waiting for". Do you people start practising yoga as soon as you read the article? So what's the deal with all that demand for evidence? Whether it ever comes or not, imagine you have it. NOW WHAT? There is nothing you will start practising all of a sudden because you read something. Those that wanted the results had already done their research and have started practising and have achieved what they wanted. Some people will always lag behind, even after decades. (Just look at all the people doubting the existence of Chi after all this time - bet you're one of them.)

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, seanjo said:

No, it's not possible, your body uses calories all of the time, The largest figure I can find for fasting is around 40 days. This fella is cheating or lying.

https://www.sciencealert.com/the-true-story-of-a-man-who-survived-without-any-food-for-382-days

Meh, not sure I'm sold on this though. Of course the guy was near 500 lbs. He had plenty of stored calories.