Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

'Breatharian' claims he survives on air & sun

Still Waters

If he laid completely still in a trance like state I could just about believe he could somehow control his own metabolism.
But he is not a Tibetan Monk he is a pizza delivery man who obvious has a nibble on a Deep Pan every now and then...

On 12/11/2018 at 8:19 AM, ouija ouija said:

Strictly speaking he's not a Breatharian, just someone who regularly fasts for months at a time(although that's still impressive). This is a subject that interests me very much because I have a sneaking suspicion that it is actually possible! I have a feeling it is possible to live on a 'homeopathic' dose of food/sun.

I think he is full of crap.  You have to eat food to live.  If you don't, your cells will begin to break down.  Type 1 Diabetes, the body produces no insulin.  Insulin is produced by the pancreas and is necessary to break foods down so they can be used as energy.  My BS meter is ticking far to the right!

I can remember some guy in the 70's who used to make the talk show circuit claiming the same thing.  (He also called himself a "breatharian.")  Then a witness saw him pigging out on fried chicken and ice cream.  I'd put my money on the witness.

• Haha 1

On 15/12/2018 at 1:16 AM, joc said:

I think he is full of crap.  You have to eat food to live.  If you don't, your cells will begin to break down.  Type 1 Diabetes, the body produces no insulin.  Insulin is produced by the pancreas and is necessary to break foods down so they can be used as energy.  My BS meter is ticking far to the right!

Except when you use your Chi energy.

• Confused 1

6 hours ago, Rolci said:

Except when you use your Chi energy.

That's crap too.  The guy was living off his fat cells because he was ..very fat. Eventually, the body will use all the fat cells and then what?  I am well aware of chi...it has nothing to do with breathing air to  live.

23 minutes ago, joc said:

That's crap too.  The guy was living off his fat cells because he was ..very fat. Eventually, the body will use all the fat cells and then what?  I am well aware of chi...it has nothing to do with breathing air to  live.

After the fat cells, the body cannibalize's muscle tissue. After that you're dead.

• Thanks 1

On 12/14/2018 at 4:32 AM, Rolci said:

Only 3 months??? Nothing new here, move on people. Fasts lasting way more than that have been documented for decades, nothing shocking about it. Some people go over a year, and they are properly documented in peer-reviewed journals. Here's one for *yawns* "skeptics":
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2495396/
Next time they will say we can't control our autonomic functions and our immune system (or our endocrine system). Ya'll know which ones I'm talkin' about, they're the ones that get sick all the time and then play victim as though it weren't their fault (uhm.. choice).

I'm a skeptic so I'll take that as an invitation. 

How do you propose that case supports breatharianism when the paper clearly states it was a controlled diet in order to achieve his ideal weight?

He was 207 kilos, which is considered grossly obese, so much so that he was ambulant. He couldn't carry his own weight. He was given suplements, vitamins and non caloric fluids. It was a heavily controlled and strictly observed life saving diet. He was not some dreadlocked hippie breathing air and absorbing light for sustenance. He was achieving an ideal weight through fasting. The paper states his body was absorbing soft tissue and skeletal mass. That's  not a good thing for a person of healthy weight. 

Edited by psyche101
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

After the fat cells, the body cannibalize's muscle tissue. After that you're dead.

I think the physicists call it...Entropy.  

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

He don't get much done.

iirc there was a lady in either Ukraine or Russia who claimed she fed on sun energy only, she was caught eating normal food, lol