Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Christmas pet adoption ban at German shelters

Still Waters

A dog is for life, not just for Christmas - so the famous slogan goes.

It's certainly the case in Germany, where a temporary ban on new adoptions aims to cut short any plans to give an animal as a Christmas gift.

Dozens of shelters have told potential pet owners that no animals will be handed over in the run-up to Christmas.

Berlin's shelter, the largest in Europe, is among them. It says the ban reduces unwanted animals being dumped back after the holiday period.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-46522116

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Excellent idea.

Was going to say this should be introduced here in the UK too, but with this response from the RSPCA, it does not look as if it would happen

However, for some people, the festive period is a calm, quiet time and may well be a good opportunity to introduce an animal into the home as families tend to be around the house with more time to spend with them," it says

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-46522116

That is a pretty silly comment to be making by the RSPCA, as christmas holiday only lasts for a few days, the whole point is after these days are over, the poor dogs get neglected. 

The whole idea is to get a dog for life, not just to keep the family amused for a few days over christmas because they are together.

Come on RSPCA, you are not that stupid to come out with comments like that, speak to the person who said that and sack them. They should not be working around animals.

• Like 1

It's a hard problem, and it is not obvious that an absoulte ban is the answer to this problem.

Here in the United States, there is a widespread de facto ban on adoptions of black cats (or possibly cats of any color) around the end of October, Hallowe'en time. The risk being addressed is horrendous, and the means of managing it are correspondingly severe. Alternatives are few. There is zero chance that asking October adoption-seekers "Do you plan to torture and kill this cat in a seasonal Satanic ritual?" would be of any effect at all.

"Do you intend to give this animal to someone else as a gift?" is a good question to ask , and not just at Christmas time. And if the answer is yes? Additional precautions (especially that this is not a surprise gift, since that is a year-round formula for failure) may very well be effective.

I don't know how things are in Germany, but hereabouts, animal shelter capacity is strained. Shutting down outflow for a few weeks may be necessary for some threats (what else can you do about Hallowe'en?), but maybe not for this threat. Plus, these are bad weeks to let the population climb. Plenty of Christmas gift pets, animals who've been acquired outside the shelter system and just aren't working out for the gift recipients, will soon be showing up. It'd be good to have some empty space for them when they arrive.

Everybody's heart is in the right place; full marks for good intentions and for calling public attention to the problem. And, not being German or anywhere near Germany, maybe that's just the ticket locally to address the problem. Not here, though, not in my opinion.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Just now, eight bits said:

It's a hard problem, and it is not obvious that an absoulte ban is the answer to this problem.

Here in the United States, there is a widespread de facto ban on adoptions of black cats (or possibly cats of any color) around the end of October, Hallowe'en time. The risk being addressed is horrendous, and the means of managing it are correspondingly severe. Alternatives are few. There is zero chance that asking October adoption-seekers "Do you plan to torture and kill this cat in a seasonal Satanic ritual?" would be of any effect at all.

"Do you intend to give this animal to someone else as a gift?" is a good question to ask , and not just at Christmas time. And if the answer is yes? Additional precautions (especially that this is not a surprise gift, since that is a year-round formula for failure) may very well be effective.

I don't know how things are in Germany, but hereabouts, animal shelter capacity is strained. Shutting down outflow for a few weeks may be necessary for some threats (what else can you do about Hallowe'en?), but maybe not for this threat. Plus, these are bad weeks to let the population climb. Plenty of Christmas gift pets, animals who've been acquired outside the shelter system and just aren't working out for the gift recipients, will soon be showing up. It'd be good to have some empty space for them when they arrive.

Everybody's heart is in the right place; full marks for good intentions and for calling public attention to the problem. And, not being German or anywhere near Germany, maybe that's just the ticket locally to address the problem. Not here, though, not in my opinion.

seriously?? is it a federal law, state law? gvmnt ran shelter policy? do private shelters abide by such rule?

It is just a known risk @aztek  and shelters are at least wary of it if they do not err toward euthanizing the black ones first if they have to choose for space.  Not a law, just something some of them do.  I have heard similar said about white cats in the UK, but, do not know. White cats are seen as unlucky the way superstition brands black ones in the US. I keep my pets close during late October (freaks), the 4th of July (noise) and New Years (noise) especially.

Who knows how this silliness got started?

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, aztek said:

seriously?? is it a federal law, state law? gvmnt ran shelter policy? do private shelters abide by such rule?

A "best practice," it's like wearing warm clothes outside in the wintertime. It's not that there's a law, just that when you think about it, it makes sense to proceed that way. So you do. My source was a veterinarian who volunteers her services to a shelter, and the shelters have professional association channels of communication among themselves, regardless of sponsorship or relationship with official animal control agencies.

(My libertarian side is delighted that free people manage this without state mandates :) )

• Like 1

Good breeders can also be tight over the Christmas holiday. I got a poodle puppy for the holiday and only got to bring it home because we were adults and it was a good start over quiet days on house training as I was off. 

When I bred and sold canaries I did the same to not have birds somewhere they were not wanted as gifts.  If for someone else, no sale. If you do not like birds or a canary song, they are hell and easy to hurt.

• Like 1

Just now, eight bits said:

A "best practice," it's like wearing warm clothes outside in the wintertime. It's not that there's a law, just that when you think about it, it makes sense to proceed that way. So you do. My source was a veterinarian who volunteers her services to a shelter, and the shelters have professional association channels of communication among themselves, regardless of sponsorship or relationship with official animal control agencies.

(My libertarian side is delighted that free people manage this without state mandates :) )

simple no would have been sufficient.

Oh, that's suprising to me but I guess people do dumb things.

We got our childhood dog as a Christmas present , we loved him tell his end 

• Like 2

Just now, Not A Rockstar said:

It is just a known risk @aztek  and shelters are at least wary of it if they do not err toward euthanizing the black ones first if they have to choose for space.  Not a law, just something some of them do.  I have heard similar said about white cats in the UK, but, do not know. White cats are seen as unlucky the way superstition brands black ones in the US. I keep my pets close during late October (freaks), the 4th of July (noise) and New Years (noise) especially.

Who knows how this silliness got started?

but that is no different any time of year,. not just end of October.

i see quite a few black cats https://www.petfinder.com/search/cats-for-adoption/us/ny/glen-oaks/

thou it is not end of october

Edited by aztek

No one said they all do. It is a factor for some, though. I was shocked when I heard about it and didn't believe it either until I heard several people at our local shelter say so and that they looked more closely at anyone turning up for cats close to Halloween, especially black ones. 

Maybe it is regional thing. Don't know.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, spartan max2 said:

Oh, that's suprising to me but I guess people do dumb things.

We got our childhood dog as a Christmas present , we loved him tell his end 

my first dog was given this way and it was perfect, but, I guess times have changed. That is why I was so surprised when I got extra attention adopting two cats from our local shelter - a Siamese and a huge black sibling kitty from the same house who came in together. Never crossed my mind to hurt them.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, eight bits said:

I don't know how things are in Germany, but hereabouts, animal shelter capacity is strained.

Strained here in Germany as well. Back in October, the Berlin shelter had 1420 animals in total and thats above capacity limit

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, freetoroam said:

Excellent idea.

Was going to say this should be introduced here in the UK too, but with this response from the RSPCA, it does not look as if it would happen

That is a pretty silly comment to be making by the RSPCA, as christmas holiday only lasts for a few days, the whole point is after these days are over, the poor dogs get neglected. 

The whole idea is to get a dog for life, not just to keep the family amused for a few days over christmas because they are together.

Come on RSPCA, you are not that stupid to come out with comments like that, speak to the person who said that and sack them. They should not be working around animals.

I get what you're saying but a dog in a new home, particularly a vulnerable one, needs to get to know the family. When else is the whole family around for as long as Christmas? 

20 minutes ago, Setton said:

I get what you're saying but a dog in a new home, particularly a vulnerable one, needs to get to know the family. When else is the whole family around for as long as Christmas? 

A puppy needs longer than a couple of days to get to know the family and new home. If the family only have a couple of days in the whole year to be able to care for their new dog, then they should not be getting one.

The whole issue is a family get one for christmas and then realise they will not be able to look after it after, hence the amount of dogs which get thrown out....hence....this action in Germany.......hence

dd2a7fe0164e3c2116408b671862677a.jpg

Edited by freetoroam

23 hours ago, aztek said:

simple no would have been sufficient.

You asked for information, and it was provided to you. A simple thank you would have been sufficient.

Then again, your sig should have warned me off.

Y'all have an outstanding day, now.