Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Huawei CFO jailed

Gromdor

I'm kind of surprised no one has talked about this yet: https://www.cnn.com/2018/12/11/business/huawei-cfo-arrest-details/index.html

Basically she was arrested in Canada for extradition to the US for fraud.  The fraud charge is basically based around her activities to continue doing business with Iran violating US sanctions while using the US banking system.  She's looking at 30yrs in jail.

Her arrest happened on the same day China and Trump agreed to 90 day talks to try and cool down the trade war which kinda put a dampener on the whole deal.  Also Huawei was the company accused of using the technology they sold to spy on people. 

• Thanks 2

saw this last week and thought that the US is going a little to far with telling other countries 

how to act with the sanctions the US has impacted on Iran , but if the article above is correct 

then maybe she should be held accountable . 

• Like 2

The plot thickens..

Former CDN Diplomat Arrested in China

News of Kovrig's detention comes after China warned Canada of consequences for its recent arrest of Huawei chief financial officer Meng Wanzhou at Vancouver's airport.

So far, it's unclear if there is any link between the two cases.

Public Safety Minister Ralph Goodale was asked Tuesday about the possibility Kovrig's detention was in retaliation for Meng's arrest.

"We're obviously worried about whenever a Canadian is put in a situation that puts them at some risk or jeopardy, where's there's no apparent or obvious cause or trigger for that" Goodale said.

"So, before we characterize it, we want to make sure we get all the facts. But at the same time we are sparing no effort to do everything we possibly can to look after his safety."

Goodale added the government is "sparing no effort" to find out everything it can about the case.

• Like 1

she was not wanted in Canada, why did they arrest her in a first place? there are thousands of us army deserters who live in Canada, yet Canada is in no rush to extradite, yet her they had to arrest, only supports my opinion, competition elimination.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, aztek said:

she was not wanted in Canada, why did they arrest her in a first place? there are thousands of us army deserters who live in Canada, yet Canada is in no rush to extradite, yet her they had to arrest, only supports my opinion, competition elimination.

By who, Apple? Samsung has no American loyalties. Unless there she is guilty of something serious that isn't being made public. I know last year the US State Dept. sent out a memo advising people to not buy Huawei phones as there was a concern they contained Chinese spyware

Just now, Dark_Grey said:

By who, Apple? Samsung has no American loyalties.

i think neither has American loyalty, but they have American market,  billions of lost profits. us gvmnt is controled by corporations.

do you really believe national security b.s. what threat to security would a  possible hacking of your phone create???  i have no doubt there is 0 risk,  gvmnt only want to be able to hack your phone. 

Edited by aztek

3 minutes ago, aztek said:

i think neither has American loyalty, but they have American market,  billions of lost profits. us gvmnt is controled by corporations.

do you really believe national security b.s. what threat to security would a  possible hacking of your phone create???  i have no doubt there is 0 risk,  gvmnt only want to be able to hack your phone. 

I'm not sure if I believe the spyware story. I haven't read the official report on that. Most likely you are right that it is related to corporate warfare

5 hours ago, aztek said:

Good point.

I know we have an extradition treaty with Canada so no problem, legally, with the arrest. Maybe such out of country arrests have to do with the severity of the charges.

There are times, for example, that a prisoner in say -Texas, who has outstanding warrants in - say, Michigan, is set free  because Michigan doesn't think it's worth having to pay for his transfer to Michigan to face charges.

Not sure here.

• Like 1

There is nothing to hold or charge a CFO on, they are just the 'face' and spokesperson in business meetings, who does what with who along the sales and marketing line is beyond the scope of the CFO or CEO or whatever ... this is just the pinheads and suits dipping the toes in the public opinion pools to test the temperature.

~

• 1 month later...

Related:

Germany is considering ways to block Huawei from its next generation mobile phone network, according to reports.

Berlin is exploring stricter security requirements which may prevent Huawei products being used in its 5G network.

Many countries have pushed against the involvement of the Chinese technology firm in their 5G networks over security concerns.

The networks represent the next big wave of mobile infrastructure.

The Chinese company, one of the world's biggest producers of telecoms equipment, has faced resistance from foreign governments over the risk that its technology could be used for espionage.

Full script: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-46914489

Oxford University has reportedly suspended all funding and sponsorship from Huawei amid growing security concerns.

In an email sent to computer science doctoral students, seen by the South China Morning Post, the university said its Committee to Review Donations made the decision to block Huawei funding temporarily.

Full report: https://www.itpro.co.uk/security/32786/oxford-uni-blocks-huawei-donations-amid-security-concerns

Edited by Eldorado
  • Haha 1

Looking like all you folks will be forcibly herded towards upgrading everything from Computers to Smart phones and TVs these coming year ... frankly speaking, I believe this has more to do with trare earth mining operations making little to no headway recently

~

[00.10.05]

~

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, third_eye said:

Looking like all you folks will be forcibly herded towards upgrading everything from Computers to Smart phones and TVs these coming year ... frankly speaking, I believe this has more to do with trare earth mining operations making little to no headway recently

So is Xi Jinping...

Black Panda?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Update: The US Justice Department has charged Huawei with fraud.

The Justice Department announced criminal charges Monday against Huawei Technologies, the world’s largest communications equipment manufacturer, and one of its top executives — a move likely to intensify trade tensions between the United States and China. A 13-count indictment filed in New York City against Huawei, two affiliates and its chief financial officer, Meng Wanzhou, details allegations of bank and wire fraud. The company also is charged with violating U.S. sanctions on Iran and conspiring to obstruct justice related to the investigation. Canadian officials arrested Meng on a U.S. warrant Dec. 1. She has since been released on bail, and her travel is confined to Vancouver and surrounding areas. Meng could face up to 30 years if found guilty on all counts.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/national-security/justice-dept-charges-huawei-with-fraud-ratcheting-up-us-china-tensions/2019/01/28/70a7f550-2320-11e9-81fd-b7b05d5bed90_story.html?utm_term=.cefdc0680d71

The 13-count indictment: https://www.justice.gov/opa/press-release/file/1125021/download?utm_medium=email&utm_source=govdelivery

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

UpdateCanada approves extradition process for Huawei executive

Canada said Friday it would launch proceedings to extradite a top executive of Chinese telecom giant Huawei to the United States — setting the stage for a lengthy diplomatic dust-up among the three countries and threatening to throw a wrench into U.S.-China trade talks. The Justice Department has accused Huawei's chief financial officer, Meng Wanzhou, of violating U.S. sanctions against Iran by deliberately misleading banks about the company's business dealings there. Meng is the daughter of Huawei's founder, Ren Zhengfei.

https://www.politico.com/story/2019/03/01/canada-extradition-huawei-executive-1186525

I try not to buy anything made in China. I have found more and more defective items coming from there, is mostly why.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Raptor Witness said:

I try not to buy anything made in China. I have found more and more defective items coming from there, is mostly why.

Man that is getting tougher and tougher.  Number one, stay out of Walmart, then start reading labels.   I bet even the American Flag that got dry humped on the CPAC stage was made in China.

49 minutes ago, Tatetopa said:

Man that is getting tougher and tougher.  Number one, stay out of Walmart, then start reading labels.   I bet even the American Flag that got dry humped on the CPAC stage was made in China.

It's even harder than that.  Even if a product is "Made in America", it's components often originate from other countries, China included.  Even the stuff "Made in China" isn't made with all all Chinese parts either.  The iron can come from Brazil, the rare earths from Africa, the pork from Iowa.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Gromdor said:

It's even harder than that.  Even if a product is "Made in America", it's components often originate from other countries, China included.  Even the stuff "Made in China" isn't made with all all Chinese parts either.  The iron can come from Brazil, the rare earths from Africa, the pork from Iowa.

Holy tariffs Batman! The Globalist mob has already got a foothold in Gotham..

• Haha 1