Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Shootings in Strasbourg, France

zep73

2 hours ago, and then said:

No one has a monopoly on truth.

Absolutely ...

~

• Like 2

• The title was changed to Shootings in Strasbourg, France

Apparently the gunman is still on the loose. They think he may have fled to Germany. The border is being locked down there. There is also a police leak of second suspect.

Still no word if this is religious in nature.

I read the police went round to pick up suspect on Tuesday. But he was already gone.

It's interesting that Terrorism still exist since  it's a tactic that is futile to use because it only work during a short time, if it works at all.

Edited by Avalanche

Soooooo... the person is 'known to police' and was on a terrorist watch list. 

So why aren't they revealing his name ? 

Perhaps because it might cause a public backlash when that name turns out to be "Mohammed" ? 

Edited by RoofGardener
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, RoofGardener said:

Soooooo... the person is 'known to police' and was on a terrorist watch list. 

Perhaps because it might cause a public backlash when that name turns out to be "Mohammed" ? 

They will release his name when they arrest him or shoot him  ( depending on whether or not there is a shoot out ) Either way, if and when it happens, then, they will release his name ...They always do 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Beckys_Mom said:

They will release his name when they arrest him or shoot him  ( depending on whether or not there is a shoot out ) Either way, if and when it happens, then, they will release his name ...They always do 

Hmm... but why not immediately ? Surely that would help members of the public to avoid him ? (or report him). 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, RoofGardener said:

Hmm... but why not immediately ? Surely that would help members of the public to avoid him ? (or report him). 

They don't speculate and confirm his name  just in case they get it all wrong.. Once they are 100 cert and he his caught  or killed, then, his name will be released .....I hope they catch him soon... 

• Like 4

*Add* according to Reuters, the gunman is Cherif Chekatt. This is an Arabic name. (most usually associated with Algeria)

He was born in Strasbourg. 

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-france-shots/gunman-kills-at-least-two-in-french-christmas-market-and-flees-idUSKBN1OA2A8

There are going to be more people killed, over and over, until the national Governments actually acknowledge - and name - the poison that is causing all of this, and move to root it out of our societies.

Edited by RoofGardener
  • Like 2

"...“He had several stays in prison, and it is during those stays that was noticed a radicalization of the way he practiced” Islam, Mr. Nuñez. (Laurent Nuñez, the deputy interior minister). 

And yet police are struggling to ascribe a motive for the attacks. 

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/12/12/world/europe/france-strasbourg-shooting.html

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Avalanche said:

It's interesting that Terrorism still exist since  it's a tactic that is futile to use because it only work during a short time, if it works at all.

Actually, its a very successful form of warfare.

The problem (especially if it escalates into an insurgency) is its very hard to tell who the terrorists are beforehand. They look like civilians and if they are trained then they know how to escape detection when getting arms and making bombs.

Terror is to spread terror and it sure does. If it is larger than one or two nutters but a cause followed by a lot of people it is actually undefeatable. There isn't one example from military history of an insurgency actually being put down.

What happens is they either end up defeating their target (eventually) or their target gives them what they want (in this case letting a Caliphate exist).

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, RoofGardener said:

*Add* according to Reuters, the gunman is Cherif Chekatt. This is an Arabic name. (most usually associated with Algeria)

He was born in Strasbourg. 

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-france-shots/gunman-kills-at-least-two-in-french-christmas-market-and-flees-idUSKBN1OA2A8

There are going to be more people killed, over and over, until the national Governments actually acknowledge - and name - the poison that is causing all of this, and move to root it out of our societies.

Sadly you could be right.  

1 hour ago, RoofGardener said:

I've heard it said before that police don't like to release the name until after they investigate so they don't warn off someone who may have assisted the shooter in some way. It does seem right now that this person acted alone.

@Beckys_Mom - Great to see you again! Missed you!

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Likely Guy said:

Please speculate.

No need. He was on a watch list and not for his extreme views on Christianity 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, RoofGardener said:

I think his name (Chérif C., btw)  is not that important actually but what I do not understand is why the German police/media dont publish a picture of the attacker even if its assumed he is en route to Germany and 1000+ police officers are searching for the suspect. I`m all for in dubio pro reo but we are not talking about a freak who has stolen a pound of bananas, we are talking about a freak carrying an automatic riffle who killed a lot of people already.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, toast said:

I do not understand is why the German police/media dont publish a picture of the attacker even if its assumed he is en route to Germany

What the Law does not want is a lot of 'false' positives to wade through on a wild goose chase, until they are sure they can isolate his location to a smaller area then releasing his picture will be much more of a help, you don't want to sieve through a lot of reports of someone looking 'like' him coming in from everywhere, it doesn't help. Anyhow, he's probably in disguise by now or holed up somewhere keeping low.

THe Law knows what they are doing, they might not do things the Hollywood way but they know what they need to do ...

~

• Like 1

Lovely!  Just in time for the Christmas season.  They're going to need to rewrite the 12 Days of Christmas.

12 Vehicular Homiciders a'Homiciding,

11 Slashers a'Slashing,

10 Suicide Bombers a'Bombing,

9 Jihadis a’jihading,

8 Imams a’Dancing,

7 Martyrs a’martyring,

6 ISIS a’IEDing,

5 Golden "Allahu Akhbar"s,

4 Beheadings,

3 French Shootouts,

2 Great Satans,

And a Jew behind an Olive Tree.

• Sad 1

22 minutes ago, aztek said:

just need stricter gun laws,

I feel like if more people just gave up their lawfully owned guns, this would not have happened

Spoiler

cause he would have driven through a crowd instead.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, third_eye said:

What the Law does not want is a lot of 'false' positives to wade through on a wild goose chase, until they are sure they can isolate his location to a smaller area then releasing his picture will be much more of a help, you don't want to sieve through a lot of reports of someone looking 'like' him coming in from everywhere, it doesn't help. Anyhow, he's probably in disguise by now or holed up somewhere keeping low.

THe Law knows what they are doing, they might not do things the Hollywood way but they know what they need to do ...

~

French and UK media published the image pretty fast.

Link

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Dark_Grey said:

I feel like if more people just gave up their lawfully owned guns, this would not have happened

The thing is, is that the law abiding gun owners aren't the ones violating the law.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, RavenHawk said:

The thing is, is that the law abiding gun owners aren't the ones violating the law.

Law abiding extremists don't violate the law either.

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, toast said:

French and UK media published the image pretty fast.

Link

Check the timelines, also verify which of those are official releases, Law Agencies have to follow strict guidelines, questionable media outlets does not, they just pluck images from facebook and instagram accounts, most times not caring about inaccuracies or whether it being the latest images or not, a picture from a year ago will just cause more problems. Also I believe his name was only released when it was quite certain that he was no longer in the general area that you mentioned.

What I know is the why and the what some protocols are that is in place and what procedures are dictated by the authorities by which the Law Agencies Operate and dictates.

What is important to keep in mind is that a lot of what is being fired up through the internet and social media doesn't help at all, but in fact makes things much more difficult for the Security Agencies to Operate through.

~

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

18 hours ago, and then said:

While I feel sympathy for the French who are powerless over the insanity of their government, I also recognize that unless they find a backbone and stand against their government and this threat, things will only get worse.  This is a civilizational threat and people who ignore it or worse, make excuses for it are, IMO, fools.  

This is nothing more than the Great Camel drinking from the Danube and the Rhine without repent.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, and then said:

This indicates a bias that you hold.  I accept your words exactly as you relay them.  I try my best to understand your meanings but your semantics confuse me at times.  I'm certainly not a complex, eloquent man.  I can be quite cutting and crude when I'm agitated but I do my best to speak the truth and to do it plainly.  If a person who believes in a different God or a different way to serve God allows me the same freedom, I will never have a problem with him.  Like most other imperfect humans, however, when a religion actually teaches its adherents that everyone else is misguided and that they should be coerced into a different path (for their own good) or be punished and show obeisance, I will resist that to the best of my ability.  NO man has the right to choose for another which God he must serve.  The decision to believe is personal.  No one has a monopoly on truth.

Well said , may your God go with you .

• Thanks 1