Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

NASA's InSight Takes Its First Selfie

Waspie_Dwarf

NASA's InSight Takes Its First Selfie

PIA22876-16.jpg

NASA's InSight lander isn't camera-shy. The spacecraft used a camera on its robotic arm to take its first selfie - a mosaic made up of 11 images. This is the same imaging process used by NASA's Curiosity rover mission, in which many overlapping pictures are taken and later stitched together. Visible in the selfie are the lander's solar panel and its entire deck, including its science instruments.

arrow3.gif  Read More: NASA/JPL

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Where is the robot arm / selfie stick ?

I guess they edited it away, but would have been cool if they'd kept it!

Edited by sci-nerd

A picture-perfect landing.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, sci-nerd said:

Where is the robot arm / selfie stick ?

I guess they edited it away, but would have been cool if they'd kept it!

Try taking a selfie with your phone. Where is the arm that is holding the phone? It will be mostly behind the camera, out of sight of the lens and therefore won't appear in the image. Same thing with the robot arm on Insight, it wasn't edited out because it was never imaged in the first place.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Waspie_Dwarf said:

Try taking a selfie with your phone. Where is the arm that is holding the phone? It will be mostly behind the camera, out of sight of the lens and therefore won't appear in the image. Same thing with the robot arm on Insight, it wasn't edited out because it was never imaged in the first place.

I found it, never the less. If you look at my previous post :tu:

Edited by sci-nerd

4 hours ago, Waspie_Dwarf said:

Actually, as with all probe selfies, they're created from a mosaic of shots, some of which are from angles that don't image the arm.