Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Ghost visit

John n b

Hello everybody, I'm new on here, I do have plenty of ghost  stories to tell,  all concerning  family and friends and a couple of  my own experiences.

In 1958 my mum and dad were getting married, they were saving up to put a deposit down on a house, both of them were working double shifts at the local glass factory which was just around the corner from where my mum lived. One night after finishing her shift she got home just after 10pm my grand father had just left the house to start his shift at the same factory, it was a cold November night and he left a roaring fire in the grate so the house would be warm for her when she came home, not long after getting home my dad called at her house, it was his 48 off and both were really tired, after having a cuppa they both fell asleep on the sofa. My dad remembers waking up and noticed the fire was now just glowing embers, he had no idea how long he had been asleep, while composing himself he saw a white circle appear above the armchair opposite the sofa, he said it was rotating for a couple of seconds then formed into a figure. He knew who it was straight away, it was my mum's mother, he had never met her because she had died about four years previous but he recognised her from photos he had seen. My dad said the hairs on the back of his neck stood up and then she reached out to him and touched his arm which he said was like a block of ice going through him, then she said will you tell margaret, he said I couldn't reply because he was totally shocked by what he was seeing, she repeated again, will you tell margaret, then she vanished, he then woke my mum up and said he had to go home. The following day my dad asked her a couple of questions about her mother, he said did she talk with a croaky voice, my mum said no, but she did a few weeks before she died because of the tubes placed in her throat that damaged her vocal chords, he then asked her did she wear a cross on a chain, there again she said no, but she said she did place a cross and chain around her neck just before the undertaker put the lid on her coffin, my mum never told anyone about that, not even her father, it was her final present to her mother.

• Like 4

This is nice when we can get validation from someone else that our loved ones are still out there in some way, my Dad did this for me in his own way, too. 

• Like 3

53 minutes ago, Not A Rockstar said:

This is nice when we can get validation from someone else that our loved ones are still out there in some way, my Dad did this for me in his own way, too. 

So did my Grandmother.  She hung around my place off and on for about a week.

Edited by OverSword
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, John n b said:

My dad remembers waking up

Much more like he had a vivid or lucid dream and was either not aware of it or was telling you a story, but not in a bad way.

https://www.healthline.com/health/vivid-dreams-causes

5 hours ago, John n b said:

said I couldn't reply because he was totally shocked by what he was seeing

Can not Reply or move as this is known as sleep paralysis.

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/sleep-paralysis/

Have you any stories of your own as you mention your own experiences.

Much research has been done on dreams, so when anyone says they woke up and saw a ghost......the chance is, they had not actually fully woken up. Please see above links.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, John n b said:

he then asked her did she wear a cross on a chain, there again she said no, but she said she did place a cross and chain around her neck just before the undertaker put the lid on her coffin, my mum never told anyone about that, not even her father, it was her final present to her mother.

This is what I find interesting about it. Otherwise, what FreeToRoam says is true and it is wise to be dubious about anything close to waking up. My Father validated with a detail no one else would know about or guess at all. Details can make the difference. JMO.

2 hours ago, freetoroam said:

Much more like he had a vivid or lucid dream and was either not aware of it or was telling you a story, but not in a bad way.

https://www.healthline.com/health/vivid-dreams-causes

Can not Reply or move as this is known as sleep paralysis.

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/sleep-paralysis/

Have you any stories of your own as you mention your own experiences.

Much research has been done on dreams, so when anyone says they woke up and saw a ghost......the chance is, they had not actually fully woken up. Please see above links.

My dad still has his doubts about the experience, even those details he supposedly  knew nothing about, he does say that my mum could have mentioned them but he or she has no recollection of them ever being mentioned.

• Like 1

This was my first experience of the paranormal.I was about 12 at the time this happened, me and my brother used to go and stay with my aunt and uncle during the school holidays, one morning I had just woken up and gone to the bathroom to get washed, it was about 9 am. Standing in front of the mirror above the sink i could see in the reflection the bedroom window through the open door in my aunt's room, it was a sunny day and the landing and stairs were brightly lit with natural light, just as I was about to bend over the sink I heard  what sounded like a little girl giggling, at the exact same time the image in the mirror went totally black as if someone had pulled a curtain across the doorway, I ran on to the landing and looked over the stairs because I thought it was my brother messing about but there was no one there. Still thinking it was my brother's doing I went into the two bedrooms at the back of the house looking for him,  even looking in the wardrobes and under the beds, nothing,  then I went into the front bedroom and looked through the window where I saw my brother and my auntie walking up the road coming back from the shop, which meant I was in the house alone. When my aunt first moved into the house one of the neighbours told her that the previous Tennant who was a chemist  had hanged himself, apparently for no reason, she didn't say whether it was in the house but we heard a few more stories saying that it was. Around about the time he hanged himself a little girl was murdered and a man who lived at the opposite end of the avenue was charged with her murder and jailed for life, the guy always protested his innocence, about 25 years later there was a article in the paper saying the guy who murdered the girl had died in prison. By the way the little girls house was directly at the back of my aunties house.

10 hours ago, John n b said:

I had just woken up 

It was a sunny day and the landing and stairs were brightly lit with natural light, just as I was about to bend over the sink I heard  what sounded like a little girl giggling, at the exact same time the image in the mirror went totally black as if someone had pulled a curtain across the doorway

Likely you were still in waking up mode. 

Depending on the positioning of the sun, if a cloud passes infront of it the brightness will dim, being in waking up mode and not expecting this, the dimness could appear more darker than it was as it would have been sudden and lights and mirrors can play tricks on your eyes and mind.

As for the giggle, that could easily have been outside. 

The house the little girl was murdered in was not your aunts house. People are telling you stories and they have played on your mind. 

People die in properties a lot, it does not make a house haunted.

As for the little girl who was murdered, i find it disrespectful for people to try and make up a ghost story out of that poor childs death. They should be letting her r.i.p and i wonder what her parents would think if they heard people are implying their child is haunting a house? 

You seem to be brought up around people who believe in ghosts and are happy to tell you stories. There are quite logical explanations for the bits you have told us so far, so unfortunately they do not fall anywhere near a good example of a ghost story...BUT...they would be good to tell round a camp fire  as an urban myth. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Your logical explanations are a weak atempt at debunking, do you do this because of your own fear of the unknown, I think you would rather believe that ghost stories are only myths that should only be told around a campfire.

• Like 3

On 12/13/2018 at 1:35 PM, John n b said:

Your logical explanations are a weak atempt at debunking, do you do this because of your own fear of the unknown, I think you would rather believe that ghost stories are only myths that should only be told around a campfire.

Get used to it, these skeptics are so full of themselves that they might as well tell your experience for you lol 

Edited by TomHaider51
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I have been fully awake when i have had my experiences. I once woke up and saw a mist like figure standing by the window in my bed room which looked to be smoking. I sat up in bed and shouted WTF! and it desolved and disappeared the strange thing is that i didn't reflect much over it until later. 

Edited by Avalanche

On 14/12/2018 at 5:35 AM, John n b said:

It’s nice if these experiences have affected you positively, but you can’t get angry at skeptics posting possible logical conclusions when you’re posting these stories on a public discussion forum. 

Nothing you’ve written suggests that the answer is anything fantastical or paranormal.

What’s scarier: A fantastical paranormal explanation with zero evidence? Or a logical one supported by real science which causes you to reevaluate your past as you remember it?

• Like 1

A few years ago I was sent to a house to fit a kitchen, the first thing the guy said to me was do you want a cup of tea followed by do you believe in ghosts, I said I know a few stories, he said, I didn't believe in them untill six months ago. He told me he was a gas fitter working for Transco, he was sent to a flat to do a meter change, when he got there the woman said, I'm just going for some milk and I will make you a cuppa when I get back. He said the meter cupboard was in a long narrow hall, the woman had left and he was dismantling the meter, he said the bedroom door opened and this young lad came out and walked down the hall and into the bathroom, just then the woman returned and said I'm just going the loo then I will make you a cuppa, the gas man said the little boy has just gone in there, what little boy she said, he said a little boy about six years old wearing white shorts and a blue and white striped tee shirt, he said the woman started crying and said, you've just described my grandson who was killed outside the house about ten years ago. The gas man said he looked like a real person to me and I even moved to let him get past.

• Like 1

On 13/12/2018 at 6:35 PM, John n b said:

Your logical explanations are a weak atempt at debunking,

is there a reason for starting this thread?

6 minutes ago, Dejarma said:

is there a reason for starting this thread?

I think OP is just telling stories.