Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Text Tax

OverSword

California's Public Utilities Commission is considering a plan that would charge mobile phone users a fee for sending text messages, according to recent public law filings. 

The proposal is partially due to landline-era legislation coupled with the fact the people are shifting patterns away from voice calls in favor of texting.

California is determining whether surcharges and user fees on text messaging comply with Public Purpose Programs, which use tax revenue to make telecommunications services accessible to low-income residents.

Source

So kind of a representation without taxation deal huh?  Steal from the poor to give to the lazy.

California is a kind of hell now.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I'm sure it gets even better.  Someday they'll demand that the rest of the country bail them out.  Hey, give the people what they ask for, yeah?  :w00t:

3 minutes ago, and then said:

I'm sure it gets even better.  Someday they'll demand that the rest of the country bail them out.  Hey, give the people what they ask for, yeah?  :w00t:

You live in a welfare state run like it was Greece and you're talking about the economy of other states? 

• Confused 1

free speech on a private communication device being impeded. hmmmmm.... sounds unconstitutional to me!  

Everything people like to do the greedy politicians see as a potential goldmine.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Gromdor said:

Here's a map of phone taxes and fees if you want to see how your state stacks up: https://www.moneysavingpro.com/cell-phone-plans/hidden-fees-and-taxes/

You guys will be surprised at at the fees and taxes we pay already. 

T-mobile one military plan.  No taxes, no fees, and 50% off of the T-mobile one plan.  

3 minutes ago, Agent0range said:

T-mobile one military plan.  No taxes, no fees, and 50% off of the T-mobile one plan.  

Well yeah, most of the stuff is state level junk.  I got one even better.... Company phone! 

I have the same thing you have on a pay with phone cards phone for $35 a month. I do not have an IPhone but my phone does everything an Iphone can. I could get one with this plan but ..... why? I have a friend who pays something like $600 a month for a phone plan that includes her, her son and her husband and their IPhones, again, .... why? Seems like such a waste of money!

i only get Verizon phones, i tried att, t mobile, sprint, Nextel.  there is just no comparing here, Verizon beats all,  works in places others do not.  digital voice sounds like the person is right next to you.

12 hours ago, Gromdor said:

Here's a map of phone taxes and fees if you want to see how your state stacks up: https://www.moneysavingpro.com/cell-phone-plans/hidden-fees-and-taxes/

You guys will be surprised at at the fees and taxes we pay already. 

Of course Washington pays the highest tax. :wacko:

1 hour ago, Gromdor said:

Get an Oregon phone,  it's the cheapest!

We don't have a state income tax they just tax us on everything else.  I bet the state makes a lot more that way.

30 minutes ago, OverSword said:

We don't have a state income tax they just tax us on everything else.  I bet the state makes a lot more that way.

New Hampshire does not have an income tax. But their property taxes are brutal

On 12/13/2018 at 6:53 AM, skliss said:

I have the same thing you have on a pay with phone cards phone for $35 a month. I do not have an IPhone but my phone does everything an Iphone can. I could get one with this plan but ..... why? I have a friend who pays something like $600 a month for a phone plan that includes her, her son and her husband and their IPhones, again, .... why? Seems like such a waste of money!

I have my cell phone through work, so I don't have to pay for it.   It is an Iphone and been using them for years.  I'd have a hard time going to something else.   Mostly just because I am used to the Iphone.   I think they are the cat's meow of cell phone.  

A text tax is an interesting idea.    Heck, it seems like we get taxed on everything already.   I don't text much, so it wouldn't really affect me (I'm not in Cal either).    I may text 3 times a day.    So if they charged $.001 per text, it'd cost me $1.10 per year.  

4 hours ago, Myles said:

I have my cell phone through work, so I don't have to pay for it.   It is an Iphone and been using them for years.  I'd have a hard time going to something else.   Mostly just because I am used to the Iphone.   I think they are the cat's meow of cell phone.  

You can get an Iphone with this $35 a month plan. You just have to buy it. My Samsung was free.

I have my step aunt's old iPhone 5. I'm on her plan (which is Consumer Cellular) and I pay my aunt $15 a month. Which is better because my stepmom was paying $30 for my non-smartphone with AT&T. I don't mind paying fifteen dollars to my step aunt at all. 

I'm glad I don't live in Cali. Ugh. Taxed to death.